Goodbye Good Sam Club!

Kirk W

12 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

Like Passport America, my Good Sams card is a very cheap investment each year.  Both of these memberships usually pay for themselves the first month or so out on the road, then the rest of the year they save us a few bucks here and there.  I'm more of the type that considers how an organization effects me or how it directly effects my pocket book.  On the other hand, I am allowing my Escapees and FMCA memberships to expire when they are due.  I can see no value coming back to me for these two in any of their discounts or programs.

For me, the value of the Highways magazine and this forum alone are worth the price of admission, and then we also stay at enough 15% and the occasional 50% Escapees discount parks to more than pay for our membership. I did jokingly tell one park manager that with my Escapees, GS, PA, veterans, and seniors discounts, they owed me money for staying there, but she didn't buy it...  ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, sandsys said:

So you see no value in this forum provided by Escapees? Or in the fact that Escapees have gone to court on our behalf to be sure member retain their right to vote? Or any of their other advocacy programs?

Linda Sand

To each his own.  I have been an SKP since Mar of 1997  and have been not been an active participant in the majority of "club" activities but  it has been well worth it to me. Especially since I started using the forum sometime around 2002 if I remember correctly. My first email address was through the club. I was upset when that option went away as it was all I knew at the time. I have used the mail service  all this time and at one time I used the  voicemail service.  I think I will hang around for a while as that is what suits me.

16 hours ago, sandsys said:

So you see no value in this forum provided by Escapees? Or in the fact that Escapees have gone to court on our behalf to be sure member retain their right to vote? Or any of their other advocacy programs?

Linda Sand

I guess if they kick me from the forum after my membership expires I can live with that.  I have no idea of the history of any court issues they were involved in reference voting rights.  That would not effect me anyway because we have an actual real physical address (family friend) for a legal address so we vote there.  

As far as advocacy programs, I may or may not agree with where that money goes go so I can live without that also.  

For some these type of paid camping organizations are a perfect fit, just not for us generally.  Now would I allow my American Legion membership to expire?  Only when I die.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

24 minutes ago, SWharton said:

To judge an organization solely by what $$ benefit it can give you is very short-sighted.

I totally agree.  However, when that organization is a for profit business whose purpose for existence is to make money, then I will judge them for their monetary value to me.  Nothing wrong with that, that's exactly how they judge me.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I bought the GS Lifetime many years ago, but now I would not.  All I use GS for now is the camping discount and but clearance and loss leader items.

Last year while in Tulsa, I needed a new remote display for my Magnum inverter.  Checked CW and they were $123 plus shipping and they would have it in a week.  I found one on line with free shipping and I upgraded to 2nd day delivery for under $90..

So shop, shop shop to buy RV accessories.  As for repairs on the RV, forget CW, they are a joke.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

I bought the GS Lifetime many years ago, but now I would not. 

Any idea what the various opinions of the Escapees RV Club have to do with the subject? The subject was the Good Sam RV club and the future of it. I think we were highjacked!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, TXiceman said:

As for repairs on the RV, forget CW, they are a joke.

One of my friends once commented that they get work done at CW because there is always another one down the road to fix what the first one broke.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

22 hours ago, SWharton said:

To judge an organization solely by what $$ benefit it can give you is very short-sighted.

I know of some really shady businesses that would love to hear from you as a customer.  These different RV and camping organizations sing a good song but it is all  about the money at the end of the day.  If all of that works for you then great.  I'm just saying that if their programs do not benefit me then I can do without them.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Every business   bottom line is all about money. We have had repair work done by CW with not a problem.They are not our primary go to business as the are usually very busy and there are none nearby at our S&B location.The CW here in Kississmee,Fl is away very busy .We have used them when on the road when necessary. I do not use many of their benefits now except the Good Sam club which does benefit me and we have used their road service which did benefit me. CW is a tool and like any other tool we use it when we need it. We travel the country and like wall marts  CW's are everywhere.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be a Good Sam member as well.  I too enjoyed their Highways magazine.  My favorite column was their RV Advocacy column where they would help rv owners struggling with dealers and manufacturers to get their rv repaired.  They appeared to get some good results.  Do they not do that anymore?  If not, then who can provide that kind of assistance today?  The last time I received their magazine, they had reduced the Highways magazine into a section of Trailer Life or Motorhome Magazine. 

Kirk, I hear your intent for this post, and I agree with you that Good Sam Club today bears very little resemblance to the original organization.

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Lemonis has made it very clear that he sees the Good Sam Club as nothing more than a marketing tool to sell more RV's and accessories.

Isnt that what a business that sells RVs and accessories is supposed to do?

Perhaps some enterprising person can start up a club that is like what Good Sam used to be.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

1 minute ago, pjstough said:

Isnt that what a business that sells RVs and accessories is supposed to do?

Sell RVs?  Yes.  Turn a useful tool into ONLY a tool to sell to us?  No.  Reminds me of the people who have made LinkedIn useless now, since 95% of messages/contacts are just sales people trying to sell, not actually make business connections.

1 minute ago, Carlos said:

Sell RVs?  Yes.  Turn a useful tool into ONLY a tool to sell to us?  No.  Reminds me of the people who have made LinkedIn useless now, since 95% of messages/contacts are just sales people trying to sell, not actually make business connections.

I believe that when someone buy s a business, they are pretty much free to use it how they see fit.

They are, and we are free to talk about how bad it is and avoid it.  I was just addressing the "supposed" to question, because no, I don't think they should do what they are doing, and I think it will backfire in the long run.  This guy may have a golden parachute and short term goals.

1 minute ago, pjstough said:

I believe that when someone buy s a business, they are pretty much free to use it how they see fit.

The original post was not about Camping World and other business connections but about Good Sam RV Club or what used to be a club. It is true that he now owns it but if I were one of the life members I'd sure not be pleased.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

The original post was not about Camping World and other business connections but about Good Sam RV Club or what used to be a club. It is true that he now owns it but if I were one of the life members I'd sure not be pleased.

I am sure that if I were a lifetime member and went to Good Sam rallies and such, I would be very disappointed too.

rvrev2 posted about how he liked the Highways magazine and the section where if a person had a problem related to rvs or dealerships they would investigate the situation and there were some positive outcomes. I also liked the section. But with the corporate setup now, they could end up investigating themselves.

6 hours ago, Wrktfsh said:

If I can’t get it at Home Depot or amazon ( secondary choice) I probably don’t need it

If you can't get it at Amazon, it probably doesn't exist.  😀

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I'm currently in Florida, about 12 miles north of Lake City. A few days ago I found the spark/sense probe ceramic insulator on our water heater had cracked causing the ignition spark to fail sometimes. I called the Lake City Camping World to see if they had the part in stock, which they did. When I asked the GS member price, I was told it would be $51 including tax. I then looked it up on Amazon and ordered it there. I picked the part up from General Delivery today. My cost was $12.95 with free shipping...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

39 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I'm currently in Florida, about 12 miles north of Lake City. A few days ago I found the spark/sense probe ceramic insulator on our water heater had cracked causing the ignition spark to fail sometimes. I called the Lake City Camping World to see if they had the part in stock, which they did. When I asked the GS member price, I was told it would be $51 including tax. I then looked it up on Amazon and ordered it there. I picked the part up from General Delivery today. My cost was $12.95 with free shipping...

That's what you get for admitting that you were a member.

Archived