Jump to content

Awning replacement


chief916
 Share

Recommended Posts

Need to replace my awnings on my 2013 heartland cyclone.  The ones that came with the coach are crap.  I really don't want to have Camping world replace them... I've dealt with them before on maintenance issues and it was a bad experience.  Should I buy what I want and have another camper outfit install them or should I try to install them myself?  Would really appreciate any input from those of you that have had to replace these things.  Also any input about what or where to purchase awnings would be most helpful. 

Thanks

Ben

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

I didn't want to deal with the spring under tension so I had mine done by Out Of Doors Mart in Greensboro.   It wasn't cheap.

You just wind them back with the arm and count the turns. I just did a 21 ft. be myself but would have been faster and easier with an extra hand and two ladders. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If just the material needs replacing , it's a fairly easy job , with a helper . 

I've removed and restitched all three of our canvas awnings / toppers .

Do a bit of research and find the installation instructions for your brand . Then simply reverse for removal . Those instructions include how to undo and redo the springs . ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

If just the material needs replacing , it's a fairly easy job , with a helper . 

I've removed and restitched all three of our canvas awnings / toppers .

Do a bit of research and find the installation instructions for your brand . Then simply reverse for removal . Those instructions include how to undo and redo the springs . ;) 

I would imagine that if I called the manufacturer of the coach and asked them, they maybe could tell me what was their source.

Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, beemergary said:

You just wind them back with the arm and count the turns. I just did a 21 ft. be myself but would have been faster and easier with an extra hand and two ladders. 

Beemer,  I would do it myself but I'm getting a little long in the tooth as they say and being fairly well disabled I could get my son and the DW to help.

Thank you sir.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, chief916 said:

I would imagine that if I called the manufacturer of the coach and asked them, they maybe could tell me what was their source.

Thank you.

Our awnings have a manufacture label on them ( Carefree of Colorado ) . I just found exactly what we have on line and downloaded instructions . 

There are replacement awnings available on line as well . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sculptor said:

I didn't want to deal with the spring under tension so I had mine done by Out Of Doors Mart in Greensboro.   It wasn't cheap.

Kevin if I remember correctly didn't you recently go through a hip replacement?  Not a good idea to do that job until plenty of time to get healed.

Thanks for your input.

Ben

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Our awnings have a manufacture label on them ( Carefree of Colorado ) . I just found exactly what we have on line and downloaded instructions . 

There are replacement awnings available on line as well . 

Pat and Pete...thank you for that info.  I believe it will be a big help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, billr said:

A friend called a Mobile tech and he gave him a choice of awning type brand and color etc.  installed price. Took him about an hour to replace. 

Friend set and watched. No nightmare. lol 

Thanks Bill.  I'll look around this area and see if I can locate a mobile tech .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Our awnings have a manufacture label on them ( Carefree of Colorado ) . I just found exactly what we have on line and downloaded instructions . 

There are replacement awnings available on line as well . 

 How-to Utube videos for changing awning material too. Last winter,  in Florida, the man beside us changed his main awning material by himself; rejected offers of assistance.

Edited by Ray,IN
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Manual or electric?

Manual awning on a 5er. His business was supplying an outdoors entertainment stage for entertainers nationwide. He towed his stage trailer and 5er to the location with the same HDT; 5er+family first then went back for the stage trailer setup. That 5er looked like it had seen many miles.

Edited by Ray,IN
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Manual awning on a 5er. His business was supplying an outdoors entertainment stage for entertainers nationwide. He towed his stage trailer and 5er to the location with the same HDT; 5er+family first then went back for the stage trailer setup. That 5er looked like it had seen many miles.

Wow.  Even the RV techs who I've seen replace a manual awning bring a helper with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Wow.  Even the RV techs who I've seen replace a manual awning bring a helper with them.

It can be done alone , but, the hassles are way more 'intense' . I've done it .

With a helper taking a slide awning/topper down or putting one up is a 15 minute job , taking your time . That includes winding and unwinding the spring(s) .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, thanks Desert Miner, will be in Q sometime that week. Here is another outfit www.sunpromfg.com

He sewed up our replacement slide/window covers (A & E Omega) and did beautiful work when he was located in Wellton, AZ. just east of us in Yuma. He has now relocated to Hamilton, MT. nine 2 eight-7eight2-two9eight9

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...