Awning replacement

chief916

Need to replace my awnings on my 2013 heartland cyclone.  The ones that came with the coach are crap.  I really don't want to have Camping world replace them... I've dealt with them before on maintenance issues and it was a bad experience.  Should I buy what I want and have another camper outfit install them or should I try to install them myself?  Would really appreciate any input from those of you that have had to replace these things.  Also any input about what or where to purchase awnings would be most helpful. 

Thanks

Ben

A friend called a Mobile tech and he gave him a choice of awning type brand and color etc.  installed price. Took him about an hour to replace. 

Friend set and watched. No nightmare. lol 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I refuse to have people do work for me. Only computor related issues. I have a trailer thats 28 yrs. old and the awning material is still like new. More of fabric. Onother trailer 10 yrs. old and its breaking down and stitching getting bad. Its more of a vinyl. I am also alittle on the cheap side.

59 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

I didn't want to deal with the spring under tension so I had mine done by Out Of Doors Mart in Greensboro.   It wasn't cheap.

You just wind them back with the arm and count the turns. I just did a 21 ft. be myself but would have been faster and easier with an extra hand and two ladders. 

If just the material needs replacing , it's a fairly easy job , with a helper . 

I've removed and restitched all three of our canvas awnings / toppers .

Do a bit of research and find the installation instructions for your brand . Then simply reverse for removal . Those instructions include how to undo and redo the springs . ;) 

Goes around , comes around .

34 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

If just the material needs replacing , it's a fairly easy job , with a helper . 

I've removed and restitched all three of our canvas awnings / toppers .

Do a bit of research and find the installation instructions for your brand . Then simply reverse for removal . Those instructions include how to undo and redo the springs . ;) 

I would imagine that if I called the manufacturer of the coach and asked them, they maybe could tell me what was their source.

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, beemergary said:

You just wind them back with the arm and count the turns. I just did a 21 ft. be myself but would have been faster and easier with an extra hand and two ladders. 

Beemer,  I would do it myself but I'm getting a little long in the tooth as they say and being fairly well disabled I could get my son and the DW to help.

Thank you sir.

2 minutes ago, chief916 said:

I would imagine that if I called the manufacturer of the coach and asked them, they maybe could tell me what was their source.

Thank you.

Our awnings have a manufacture label on them ( Carefree of Colorado ) . I just found exactly what we have on line and downloaded instructions . 

There are replacement awnings available on line as well . 

1 hour ago, Sculptor said:

I didn't want to deal with the spring under tension so I had mine done by Out Of Doors Mart in Greensboro.   It wasn't cheap.

Kevin if I remember correctly didn't you recently go through a hip replacement?  Not a good idea to do that job until plenty of time to get healed.

Thanks for your input.

Ben

3 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Our awnings have a manufacture label on them ( Carefree of Colorado ) . I just found exactly what we have on line and downloaded instructions . 

Pat and Pete...thank you for that info.  I believe it will be a big help.

11 hours ago, billr said:

A friend called a Mobile tech and he gave him a choice of awning type brand and color etc.  installed price. Took him about an hour to replace. 

Friend set and watched. No nightmare. lol 

Thanks Bill.  I'll look around this area and see if I can locate a mobile tech .

Hi Ben, Thanks for the concern.  And GOOD memory, I barely remember, myself.  :)   We had the awning done a couple of years ago now.  The hips were both done this year.  Last one was 11-05.  I feel much much better!

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

6 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

How-to Utube videos for changing awning material too. Last winter,  in Florida, the man beside us changed his main awning material by himself; rejected offers of assistance.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

16 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Last winter,  in Florida, the man beside us changed his main awning material by himself; rejected offers of assistance.

Manual or electric?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

9 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Manual or electric?

Manual awning on a 5er. His business was supplying an outdoors entertainment stage for entertainers nationwide. He towed his stage trailer and 5er to the location with the same HDT; 5er+family first then went back for the stage trailer setup. That 5er looked like it had seen many miles.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Manual awning on a 5er. His business was supplying an outdoors entertainment stage for entertainers nationwide. He towed his stage trailer and 5er to the location with the same HDT; 5er+family first then went back for the stage trailer setup. That 5er looked like it had seen many miles.

Wow.  Even the RV techs who I've seen replace a manual awning bring a helper with them.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

3 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Wow.  Even the RV techs who I've seen replace a manual awning bring a helper with them.

It can be done alone , but, the hassles are way more 'intense' . I've done it .

With a helper taking a slide awning/topper down or putting one up is a 15 minute job , taking your time . That includes winding and unwinding the spring(s) .

Yes, thanks Desert Miner, will be in Q sometime that week. Here is another outfit www.sunpromfg.com

He sewed up our replacement slide/window covers (A & E Omega) and did beautiful work when he was located in Wellton, AZ. just east of us in Yuma. He has now relocated to Hamilton, MT. nine 2 eight-7eight2-two9eight9

Archived