MD state law requires ALL vehicles to stop at_

Ray,IN

MD state law requires ALL vehicles over 10M # to enter weigh stations according to this irv2.com thread.

If it is actually true, even though weigh masters presently ignore that law, the steep fines for bypassing a weigh station would be more than an annoyance. Only the last 3-4 pages contain any proof of the wording of that law. I had adamantly declared it was not true, apparently I was wrong. 

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

With all due respect that thread didn't reach any real conclusion than have any of the dozens of similar thread over the past several years.  

As someone who lived and owned RV's in Maryland for many years and who still goes back to visit family, I can say that I've never stopped at a MD weigh station nor have I ever seen any RV stop there.  No one has every bothered me about not having stopped.

I think the MD law is poorly written but that doesn't make the MD folks responsible for enforcing it any more interested in weighing RV's than those in other states.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 hours ago, docj said:

With all due respect that thread didn't reach any real conclusion than have any of the dozens of similar thread over the past several years.  

As someone who lived and owned RV's in Maryland for many years and who still goes back to visit family, I can say that I've never stopped at a MD weigh station nor have I ever seen any RV stop there.  No one has every bothered me about not having stopped.

I think the MD law is poorly written but that doesn't make the MD folks responsible for enforcing it any more interested in weighing RV's than those in other states.

I’m with Doc.  I lived in MD all my life until I started full timing almost 4 years ago.  And I go back to visit family at least once a year. I have never pulled into a weigh station.  If they wanted RVs to stop I would imagine that they would have some signage for that.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I did run my rig into the scale on Rt1 up near Pa. Guy with stripes came out & asked what I was doing here. I said "If you chased me down & asked if I knew what ALL meant, I would have no answer" He said "Don't come into a scale again"

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

Live in MD and have never ever considered entering a weigh station in MD or anywhere else.  Begs the question:  Are there any states that require RVs go through their weigh stations??

John & Ginny

2008 HitchHiker 37CKRD

2011 GMC 3500 HD, AirSafe hitch

S&B Millersville, MD

11 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Are there any states that require RVs go through their weigh stations??

I thought they all did if they're being towed commercially.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

25 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

I thought they all did if they're being towed commercially.

That's the same rationale that is used for why, for example, a MH used as a mobile medical clinic is considered a commercial vehicle and requires a CDL to drive.  We had this issue in TX with a clinic that we do volunteer work for.  

RV's for personal use are exempt from some applicable laws, no doubt due to the lobbying efforts of the RV industry.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

25 minutes ago, docj said:

That's the same rationale that is used for why, for example, a MH used as a mobile medical clinic is considered a commercial vehicle and requires a CDL to drive.  We had this issue in TX with a clinic that we do volunteer work for.  

RV's for personal use are exempt from some applicable laws, no doubt due to the lobbying efforts of the RV industry.

I wasn't using any particular rationale.  I just thought that all those RV's being towed from factory to dealer and from dealer to customer had to stop at weigh stations.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Do you understand the difference between IN COMMERCE and personal use?  The MH being towed would be in the weight area BECAUSE OF THE COMMERCIAL TOW TRUCK DOING BUSINESS PULLING THE MH.

I’m sorry for being strident, but what is so difficult about understanding personal use versus COMMERCIAL use?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Are there any states that require RVs go through their weigh stations?? 

38 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Do you understand the difference between IN COMMERCE and personal use?  The MH being towed would be in the weight area BECAUSE OF THE COMMERCIAL TOW TRUCK DOING BUSINESS PULLING THE MH.

I’m sorry for being strident, but what is so difficult about understanding personal use versus COMMERCIAL use?

I understand it totally and 100%.  There's nothing difficult about it.  I was simply answering a very simple question with a very simple answer.  JohnM didn't mention personal use or commercial use.  You seem to be the one who has the comprehension problem.

15 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

I understand it totally and 100%.  There's nothing difficult about it.  I was simply answering a very simple question with a very simple answer.  JohnM didn't mention personal use or commercial use.  You seem to be the one who has the comprehension problem.

So why did you put forth an example where MH are cargo?  It wouldn’t matter what the load was, MH or Widgits, they are just CARGO being pulled by commercial truck.  I didn’t read JohnM’s question to be about cargo.

There are cases of MH Having to go through when they are being used in commercial applications, ie pulling trailers full of race equipment, or the example that Joel gave where it is a COMMERCIAL vehicle.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

14 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

So why did you put forth an example where MH are cargo?  It wouldn’t matter what the load was, MH or Widgits, they are just CARGO being pulled by commercial truck.  I didn’t read JohnM’s question to be about cargo.

There are cases of MH Having to go through when they are being used in commercial applications, ie pulling trailers full of race equipment, or the example that Joel gave where it is a COMMERCIAL vehicle.  

He asked if there were any States which required an RV to enter the weigh stations.  I gave him an example of when all States would.  My RV was delivered from the factory in Indiana to the dealer in Texas.  The transporter had to enter every weigh station along the way.

Please quote any post in this thread where I mentioned motorhomes.  I did not specify motorhomes.  I don't know about motorhomes.  Maybe someone else knows.  If a motorhome is being delivered from the factory to the dealer, do they have to enter weigh stations?  I would think that they do since they are commercial drivers.

Don't shoot the messenger_. I was simply pointing out that thread. I had argued he was wrong, as did many others. Then the copy N paste letters from MD toll authority appeared, as well as word of mouth from MD state troopers contradicting the letters.

They'll have to chase me down; I ain't pullin in until a test case arises where an actual fine was paid; perhaps me.😈

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

21 hours ago, docj said:

What I find interesting is that a friend who drives motorhomes to deliver them from manufacturer to dealer and from one dealer location to another has told me that most states do require the "in transit" motorhomes and trailers for sale to stop at the port of entry. She got a ticket for not having done so in two different states. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 1/11/2019 at 5:18 PM, docj said:

I agree Docj,, it's akin to jaywalking laws, they are legal, however not normally enforced. The possibility does exist for a MH driver to be stopped for speeding, gets lippy_and a ticket for bypassing a weigh station. Would that be selective enforcement- yes, however staying around for court dates and expense of a lawyer would be a consideration.

• 3 weeks later...

I live In MD.  The weigh stations are posted that ALL vehicles over 5 ton must enter the weigh station.  

I have spoken to DOT officers and they agree that they do not expect RV's to pass through the scale and they would not chase one down either.  If the rv did enter the scale, then they would bypass them.

With that being said, MD registers vehicles by VIN, so a VIN'd class F tractor is exactly that.  Mine is registered to me as a private owner.  I dont have a hauler bed, so my truck looks like a fancy commercial truck.  The appearance when I drive past the scale bobtail is that I just avoided the scale.  Realistically, I am not subject to logs or DOT inspection.  However, when I am bobtail, I will pass through the scale for appearance sake.  I can tell you that I have always been bypassed (bobtail) in every state that I have been through except for Florida where they have me sit on the scale until they run my tag and find out it's a private vehicle, then I am green lighted without issue.

These DOT officers have a job to do and they are not interested in you, but a little respect goes a long way to ensuring our ability to use the luxury conveyance that we chose.

When I have my rv 5th wheel connected,  I never stop at the scales

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:22 AM, Kirk W said:

What I find interesting is that a friend who drives motorhomes to deliver them from manufacturer to dealer and from one dealer location to another has told me that most states do require the "in transit" motorhomes and trailers for sale to stop at the port of entry. She got a ticket for not having done so in two different states. 

Your friend could drive their privately owned motorhome to work there and not have to stop at a scale house on the way because they are operating an "RV".  Then your friend could climb in one of the companies motorhomes and take off to deliver it to a customer or another dealer and when he/she passes the same scale house would be required to stop.  Think of it as "for hire" or "not for hire", "commercial" or "private".  Just like I can drive my 48,000 pound rig all over with my regular Florida DL because it is an RV.  Now if North Trail pays me to drive one of their motorhomes to an RV show then I have to have a CDL.  

The term "in transit" really doesn't determine anything.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Hah, yeah, that silly distinction was something I learned long ago.  I got into a gig of occasionally moving rental cars and motorhomes between two cities.  I was quickly advised to never say I was doing it for pay, just act like it's a normal rental.  

Archived