Splendide 2100 compared to 2100XC

Does anyone have experience with both of these units?  I know the older 2100 has a bit less capacity than the XC - is that the only difference.

I'm looking at a trade situation in which I can keep my daily used XC or trade for a little used 2100 - I think we'd be okay with a bit less capacity to get the little used unit.  However, I know that the 2100 was replaced by the XC after 5 years of production. 

Any thoughts from people who are familiar with the two models would be appreciated.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

The current generation of Splendide's (2100XC and 7100XC) are remarkably simple machines.  My 7100XC suffered a power board failure under warranty and I was rather impressed how nearly everything in the device is controlled from that one board.  There is a second small board for the control panel, but all the power electronics come off of the main board. I think this simplicity of repair is a good reason to retain the newer model.  Unlike most older washers there aren't any complex electromechanical timers.  JMO

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

14 hours ago, docj said:

The current generation of Splendide's (2100XC and 7100XC) are remarkably simple machines.  My 7100XC suffered a power board failure under warranty and I was rather impressed how nearly everything in the device is controlled from that one board.  There is a second small board for the control panel, but all the power electronics come off of the main board. I think this simplicity of repair is a good reason to retain the newer model.  Unlike most older washers there aren't any complex electromechanical timers.  JMO

Thanks for the reply - I'm guessing not many people owned the 2100 and that's why there haven't been any other responses.  The 2100 looks a lot like the XC - but, again, smaller capacity.  I have a few days before the deed is done, maybe someone else will have some input, but I appreciate your thoughts on the serviceability of the XC.

We started with a 2100 and replaced it with a 2100XC a few years ago when it had a persistent problem with drying that was not getting fixed, even with the Splendide people on the other end of the phone.  The XC does have a bit more capacity, but trades having a lint trap with the need to run a lint cleaning procedure about every 3 to 6 months.   The actual wash and dry cycles are a bit nicer and well labeled, so you don't have to look at the manual.

(The cleaning procedure requires three cycles, but each requires filling the tub twice, then turning off without draining and filling more, 3 wash waters total for each cycle.  That means you have to be around and watching for about 15 minutes at the start of each cycle and again 2 hours later and then 4 hours later.  If the procedure does not come with your unit it is written up on the Splendide website.) 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

5 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

We started with a 2100 and replaced it with a 2100XC a few years ago when it had a persistent problem with drying that was not getting fixed, even with the Splendide people on the other end of the phone.  The XC does have a bit more capacity, but trades having a lint trap with the need to run a lint cleaning procedure about every 3 to 6 months.   The actual wash and dry cycles are a bit nicer and well labeled, so you don't have to look at the manual.

(The cleaning procedure requires three cycles, but each requires filling the tub twice, then turning off without draining and filling more, 3 wash waters total for each cycle.  That means you have to be around and watching for about 15 minutes at the start of each cycle and again 2 hours later and then 4 hours later.  If the procedure does not come with your unit it is written up on the Splendide website.) 

Thanks Bill - we are well acquainted with the cleaning procedure.  We do it a couple of times a year.  However, I don't use the dryer much - just hang the wet clothes outside.  Frankly, they don't take much longer to air dry than using the dryer.  It saves wear on the Spendide and the clothes smell nicer too!

At this time I'm leaning toward keeping the XC - but the little used 2100 is tempting.

Since the 2100 would be much older, it is more likely to break than an XC.  If the 2100 is barely used I would also not trust it, since these things need to be used to keep seals, bearings, etc, clean and working.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

1 hour ago, Bill Joyce said:

Since the 2100 would be much older, it is more likely to break than an XC.  If the 2100 is barely used I would also not trust it, since these things need to be used to keep seals, bearings, etc, clean and working.

I've pretty much decided to stay with our XC.  It is tempting, though, because I know that our XC has done many loads through the years - the 2100 looks barely used.  But you are right, sitting isn't good either.  

Last summer I got a barely used 2100 to replace my 15-year-old Splendide 2000, which I loved, but became unrepairable. 

Since you don't use the dryer much, it may not matter, but one thing I hate about the 2100 it is that on the "highest" dry cycle (the one that produces the most heat), about 10 minutes or so into the cycle, the machine goes into a high-speed spin cycle.  It's the dumbest thing I can imagine on a machine that has a reputation for wrinkling clothes--why interrupt a dry cycle to spin them hard against the sides of the drum instead of letting them fluff as much as they can?

The result is that I have to either monitor it and stop it every time I hear it start spinning and reset it to start the dry cycle over, and do the same thing the next time it starts that ridiculous spin cycle, or use the next cycle down, and have it take longer for things to dry. 

Actually, I'd be interested in knowing if the newer machines do the same thing, or if Splendide realized how much it screwed up on that.  This is also the model that wouldn't let you open the door during or even after the dry cycle--the clothes had to sit there wrinkling in the bottom of the drum for some number of minutes.  I defeated that, but that means the door can be opened at any time during any cycle, which is NOT a good idea. 

And there are other things I find annoying about it, but these two changes make me wonder if Splendide just totally dropped the ball on the 2100.

Archived