Coolant Sensor

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

1998 Volvo M-11 Cummins engine

I had a shut down today, low coolant, stop now, Engine shut down on I-49 in Shreveport LA.  It looks like one of the wires corroded and disconnected from the back of the sensor, so I disconnected the plug, engine restarted, and off we went.  

So is the coolant sensor a Cummins item or a Volvo item?  Or is it a generic item that the Pete store down the road would have?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Mine was a Volvo item.  I bought at dealer.  Mine did the same thing my first drive after I bought my truck.  Shut down on two lane road at traffic light.  I had no idea what happened and the seven cars behind me were none to happy.  Popped the hood and for some reason noticed the wire, twisted it back together, electrical tape, started up and was heading to dealer so bought new and wired.

Jim, on edit, things that could stop you or de-rate the truck on the road would be a great rally discussion.  I’ve had two incidents in nine years.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

If you disconnect the connector on the sensor it will disable the shutdown fault. Be sure you have coolant. 

Volvo part. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

57 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Mine was a Volvo item.  I bought at dealer.  Mine did the same thing my first drive after I bought my truck.  Shut down on two lane road at traffic light.  I had no idea what happened and the seven cars behind me were none to happy.  Popped the hood and for some reason noticed the wire, twisted it back together, electrical tape, started up and was heading to dealer so bought new and wired.

Jim, on edit, things that could stop you or de-rate the truck on the road would be a great rally discussion.  I’ve had two incidents in nine years.

12 minutes ago, billr said:

If you disconnect the connector on the sensor it will disable the shutdown fault. Be sure you have coolant. 

Volvo part. 

Yes, this would be a good discussion point.  It gave me 30 seconds or so from dash light flashing to dead pedal to no power steering....

I did a good pre-trip yesterday.  Its been a week since I had cranked the truck, so I did a thorough inspection under the hood and underneath the chassis. 

Bill, I was able to do exactly that.  The wire corroded right at the back of the connector and was dangling there.  This is actually the type pre-trip failure I'm looking for but didn't find.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Yep, happened to me, too.  On an Air Force base, bob-tailing.  Got a "low coolant" alarm and all went dead.  Mine, too was bought at Volvo.

2001 Volvo.  lower right side of coolant reservoir  Wires just corroded off just past the connector. It was an easy replacement.

Hope to see you in Crossville. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

56 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

Yep, happened to me, too.  On an Air Force base, bob-tailing.  Got a "low coolant" alarm and all went dead.  Mine, too was bought at Volvo.

2001 Volvo.  lower right side of coolant reservoir  Wires just corroded off just past the connector. It was an easy replacement.

Hope to see you in Crossville. 

Yup... I wish I had more than 30 seconds though...   Off to Volvo in the AM..

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Do you folks realize how close to baling wire and chewing gum we are...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

6 hours ago, adept99 said:

So , what's wrong with being prepared . Bailing wire and chewing gum both are simply good insurances . ;)

Like Volvo's shorting the quality of wiring , we never know when other manufacturer shorts will show up . 

Goes around , comes around .

Jim I got mine at the Volvo dealer. Mine has been replaced twice in 10 years. When it happened to me (the second time) I knew what to look for and since I had coolant I just unplugged and went on my way. The first time I was inside a park and Billb told me what to do over the phone. 

I believe this is an alarm/shutdown that can be turned off in the computer but I would not do it. Especially since it is a 15 sec. fix if you have coolant.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

8 hours ago, adept99 said:

Hey now... My Truck is old enough to drink legally... If it wants a little chewing gum and baling wire, I'll give it some.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have the shutdown turned off on my Detroit. Still have the alarms and lights. But not hard to see if the engine temp is good. If so allows me to get off the road. Then fix what is wrong.

Had one shut down, coming off Elk Mountain one night. That gives a new meaning to wide awake. I was lucky, and no load on. If it had been the week before. Grossing 78950 lbs. I think I may have been taking a dirt nap.

event.png

Archived