Vin number ?

runaway parents

I just stopped in at my local truck supply store and told the fellow behind the counter...his name is Mark...what I needed and he ask me if the truck was outside.  Told him yes it was.  He said be right back.  He went out and crawled around on the rear axle and them came back in ..looked at his book and said I got two left.  They were about $110. Each.  I took both of them.  Because of the age of the truck was old alot of times the VIN doesn't work for me.  So I just point and click and they work their reference books to get what I need.  Do you have a truck supply store near you?  Because I'm in there a bit they give me a little bit of discount.

The VIN will only help you at the OEM dealer. Usually need just the last 6 by the way.

Down side is they only know how the truck left the factory. I have one truck I do work on that was built out of 2. I have to give them the right number for the part I am working on. Thankfully, I have both VINs still.

My Peterbilt has a brass tag on dash with vin plus other places. I like to measure things and always do my own work and save money also. Found some that the measuremenst matched and air fitting location right but difference in price. Found out that the cheaper ones didn't have internal stop so when loosing all air your custom made fenders just might rub. It was a 1984 Peterbilt thing. I have the original owners chassis manual that is just for "my truck" with all the part numbers. Pretty Cool

If the truck had work done at an independent shop, vin may not be helpful.  I had an '84 White/GMC/Volvo (all three names were on the fenders) that came from a large fleet (Valvoline Oil).  All the work, from new, had been performed at the same shop.  When I needed new exhaust pipe from the turbo back, I found the turbo had been changed, and the outlet faced differently than when new.  I had to built my own.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I have to cut the huck bolts off the air bags to get the extension  sleeve installed any way maybe there is some kind of identification on them . This will happen in about two weeks new extension parts are fabricated going por15 them next weekend and start tearing down back of truck  and prepping it for the new rails .Barring any  bad weather this operation is being done out side . Shop is not big enough to park truck in. May have to tent it. Not going to let a little snow or torn rotor cuff stop me. DW has been a great help we have drilled over a hundred holes  wile fabbing up new rail extensions and miscellaneous brackets and parts and pieces she is quite a mag drill operator. Any heavy lifting is done buy engine hoist.  I  have a tire company to  going to remove back tires  .So I can have better access for drilling frame.

Archived