Can I use window washer fluid as antifreeze in the traps?

keepitlow

RV antifreeze is pretty pricey. I  don't antifreeze by water system. I just drain it good, disconnect the pump and run it as  dry as possible. Never had a problem in over a decade. In the traps I've been using RV antifreeze. Can I use blue low temp window washer fluid in the traps? I was wondering if the window fluid gives off some fumes that may be bad. (I don't live in it with the washer fluid in the traps.) BTW, I'm in zone 6.

I use blue window washer fluid (diluted ) in my cassette toilet and it works good. Highly diluted in summer for black mold control. I dilute the window washer fluid 50% with water in the winter for cold temp protection in the cassette toilet.

Your washer fluid is not intended to be mixed with water that will be in the trap so you are diluting it. It might prevent any problems but it may not also. With RV antifreeze available at Walmart for $,2.58 per gallon , I think that you are taking a big risk to save very little.  You only need a cup or two in each drain so you should need less than a gallon.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, keepitlow said:

I thought the RV antifreeze was $4.50 a gallon. If it is that cheap then OK with the RV stuff. 

I buy a case of -50° RV antifreeze at Menards during their early fall sale for $1.99/G. Each case lasts me 2 years. When de-winterizing I use the same jug to drain it back into, and use it the next year in the P traps, commode and holding tanks, when heading S. in Dec we also use it to flush the commode until we reach Alabama and de-winterize.

BTW, RV anti-freeze is not designed for dilution like automotive antifreeze.http://mystarbrite.com/public/pdf/PG_Antfreeze_Dilution_Chart.pdf

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

15 hours ago, keepitlow said:

RV antifreeze is pretty pricey. I  don't antifreeze by water system. I just drain it good, disconnect the pump and run it as  dry as possible. Never had a problem in over a decade. In the traps I've been using RV antifreeze. Can I use blue low temp window washer fluid in the traps? I was wondering if the window fluid gives off some fumes that may be bad. (I don't live in it with the washer fluid in the traps.) BTW, I'm in zone 6.

I use blue window washer fluid (diluted ) in my cassette toilet and it works good. Highly diluted in summer for black mold control. I dilute the window washer fluid 50% with water in the winter for cold temp protection in the cassette toilet.

I have used window washer fluid in the traps many times living in the mid-Atlantic region. Works fine. 

Started leaving the furnace run traveling after freezing up driving down the road.  Only when very cold.  Discovered I could by accident...forgot to shut it off before heading out.  Don't know the specific gravity of the blue stuff but more than likely if would just displace the water in the p-trap and be just a good as the pink stuff.  Will try it if I am short on pink stuff.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

If you happen to accidentally be in California when you need windshield wiper fluid and you want anything besides blue water, you will not find low temp washer fluid.  It will be 32 degree fluid.  I make sure to get the good stuff in Nevada or anywhere else if I think I will need real low temp fluid for real winter use.

On occasion I've poured some windshield washer fluid down the traps in RV's over the winter and NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS. I'm not advising its use in traps or saying it's correct, I'm ONLY saying it worked never any problems. To each their own I always say.

John T

I know someone that has been blowing out the water lines and using windshield fluid in the traps for years.

In our trailer I installed traps with clean outs that unscrew so the water drains into a pail and I blow the water lines out.

2011 Cameo 34SB3

12 hours ago, ALLOY said:

I know someone that has been blowing out the water lines and using windshield fluid in the traps for years

Hmmmmmmmm   who is that rascal lol    When this "dude" I know "on occasion" poured some windshield washer fluid down the RV drain traps he never noticed much evaporization or tell tale residue in EITHER the RV plumbing OR  the plastic tanks and rubber hoses in his vehicles. Again I'm NOT recommending it, I'm not a chemist or plumber nor ABS or PVC drain pipe expert and no idea of the potential danger or hazards from having windshield washer fluid in ABS or PVC or whatever drain traps over the winter. "Unless" I happen to run out I used RV antifreeze in the traps same as elsewhere in my RV plumbing winterization.

Best wishes n God Bless yall

John T

Archived