Ice maker in Samsung residential fridge

remoandiris

Our 5er came from the factory with a Samsung residential French door fridge.  It does not have water/ice in the door, just the ice maker in the freezer.

Recently, the ice has started to glob into large chunks once they are automatically released from the tray.  They used to be nice, half-moon cubes.  

Google and YouTube have not been helpful in diagnosing the problem, so I am hoping someone here has encountered it before and fixed it.  If all else fails, I'll just replace the ice maker.

9 hours ago, Carlos said:

The clumping happens on BOTH shore power and inverter?  Or ONLY on shore power?

I should have been specific.  The inverter is always on, whether connected to shore power or towing.  I know of no reason to turn it off when on shore power.  Ice is not made when towing...no water.  While the ice maker may dump what is in the tray when towing, water is not added to the tray once flipped. 

One thing I can't find is whether this maker warms the tray to loosen the cubes prior to dumping the cubes or not.  

On 12/26/2018 at 3:40 PM, remoandiris said:

Our 5er came from the factory with a Samsung residential French door fridge.  It does not have water/ice in the door, just the ice maker in the freezer.

Recently, the ice has started to glob into large chunks once they are automatically released from the tray.  They used to be nice, half-moon cubes.  

Google and YouTube have not been helpful in diagnosing the problem, so I am hoping someone here has encountered it before and fixed it.  If all else fails, I'll just replace the ice maker.

Good Morning. We have this same fridge in our 5th wheel. So far so good with the ice maker.

The LG we have at home was doing the clumping and it turned out the water was leaking in and causing the ice to clump. We had to have a repair person fix it under warranty. Not sure it that is the reason for yours but it could be.

James

• 2 weeks later...

is the ice maker in the upper left side of the refrigerator? If so, pull the tray out and see if everything is frozen up. There is a service bulletin on the samsung icemakers in the french door refrigerators (where the ice maker is in the fridge part). The fix is to use some silicone along the seam to keep the cold air in the ice maker part. And also you have to defrost the ice clumps with a hair dryer every couple of months. 

On 12/26/2018 at 6:20 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

never hooked up my ice maker because they take a good deal of energy to make cubes. 

You are going to need to explain that one. The only energy to run the icemaker is power to operate the water valve and turn the ice tray. The ice freezing uses the exact same energy as a tray. 

On 12/27/2018 at 7:57 PM, remoandiris said:

Ice is not made when towing...no water. 

Why ? Do you turn your water pump off. I like having the ice bin full when I stop for a break or at night.

On 12/26/2018 at 5:40 PM, remoandiris said:

Most likely problem (unless the water valve is leaking) is some ice is stuck in the tray. Use a mirror and flashlight to see. If you have ice stuck in the tray warm the tray with a hair dryer and cykle the icemaker by pushing the cycle button. See your owner's manual. 

Bill

Edited by WILDEBILL308

12 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

is the ice maker in the upper left side of the refrigerator? If so, pull the tray out and see if everything is frozen up. There is a service bulletin on the samsung icemakers in the french door refrigerators (where the ice maker is in the fridge part). The fix is to use some silicone along the seam to keep the cold air in the ice maker part. And also you have to defrost the ice clumps with a hair dryer every couple of months. 

No, it is in the freezer.

9 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Why ? Do you turn your water pump off. I like having the ice bin full when I stop for a break or at night.

Most likely problem (unless the water valve is leaking) is some ice is stuck in the tray. Use a mirror and flashlight to see. If you have ice stuck in the tray warm the tray with a hair dryer and cykle the icemaker by pushing the cycle button. See your owner's manual. 

Bill

Virtually never use the on board fresh water tank.  And we can have ice in the hopper.

I doubt the issue is ice stuck in the tray.  I think it is more likely the valve is leaking OR whatever device that controls the amount of water into the cube maker lets too much water in and it overflows into the cube hopper.   

Last night I was going to pull the freezer door off and crawl in for a closer look.  There is some type of limiter preventing the door from coming out far enough to remove the freezer's top tray.  So that is another issue I have to resolve.  I watched a few vids on Youtube.  Looks like the door "should" come out at least 3 more inches.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, whatsnext said:

The ice maker will slightly "defrost" the cube compartment just prior to ejection, the heating element may be going bad as it could be overheating. This will create a "wetter" ejected ice cube and thus freeze with other cubes in the tray.

Thanks, but mine doesn't operate that way.  No heater.  It is the plastic tray and the ice maker "twists" the tray to dump the cubes.  At least that is what the appliance repair guy told me.

The RV was not hooked up, so nothing could be tested.  He did take pics and said he didn't see anything out of the ordinary.  He said one possible cause is a valve in the back of the fridge.  If that is the problem, I'll start using ice cube trays instead.  Too troublesome to fix that valve.

We have a similar icemaker in our Samsung RF179.  We get "clumping" on the bottom of the ice tray because there isn't a "stirrer" in the ice container as their is the GE we have in our casita.  Therefore, ice on the bottom of the tray fuses together into large clumps.  Periodically I use a large metal spatula to lift those clumps out while leaving the majority of the ice in the container.  I believe the ice maker uses some form of ultrasonic sensor to assess the level of the ice in the container.  If you remove a large clump it will go back into operation.

17 hours ago, docj said:

We have a similar icemaker in our Samsung RF179.  We get "clumping" on the bottom of the ice tray because there isn't a "stirrer" in the ice container 

Thanks, but that isn't it.  There is a water leak or overflow from somewhere that coats the cubes from the top down.  It is probably going to be easier to just use ice cube trays.  It will definitely be cheaper.  According to the appliance repair guy, ice makers go bad in various ways.  

3 hours ago, remoandiris said:

There is a water leak or overflow from somewhere that coats the cubes from the top down.

It sure sounds as if the water valve isn't closing soon enough when it fills the tray, so excess water cascades over and onto the ice in the bin.

As a result of this thread I just learned that the icemaker for our RF197 has been discontinued and there may or may not be a substitute. Welcome to planned obsolescence.

Edited by docj

• 3 months later...

We had the same problem with our Samsung ice maker in our new 5th  wheel (clumping) with the additional problem of overproduction of ice. We were giving it away as we could find no way to slow down production . .  UNTIL we went on vacation and turned off the icemaker for a month. Now we can't get it back to producing more than a minimal amount of ice.

Any ideas for our problem?

2018 Crossroads Cameo 40

Alex