Alternator wiring-HELP!

ARGO

As I posted earlier, my alternator went bad. (Delco 33si) Got a new one installed, lost the pic I took before removal showing a small jumper wire between 2 of the posts. Can anybody take a pic of theirs for me? Pos & Neg no problem, but the wire doesn't show on Delco's diagram. Really don't want to fry the new one. Mine's in a 2000VNL W/Cummins N14, but jumper probably on any big alternator. Tks!

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

13 minutes ago, ARGO said:

As I posted earlier, my alternator went bad. (Delco 33si) Got a new one installed, lost the pic I took before removal showing a small jumper wire between 2 of the posts. Can anybody take a pic of theirs for me? Pos & Neg no problem, but the wire doesn't show on Delco's diagram. Really don't want to fry the new one. Mine's in a 2000VNL W/Cummins N14, but jumper probably on any big alternator. Tks!

That's most likely the battery voltage sense wire. Without it, you won't trash the new alternator, but at max voltage output you WILL fry your batteries. I'm not near my truck at the moment so I can't take a picture, but the info should be online. I'll check that when I have a chance. Jay

If it's an actual 33si, their website says it doesn't have a sense terminal. If that's the case, you would leave it off, as the regulator is preset and not charging based on battery condition. Check the output voltage while running and under load and it should be around 14.4 vdc. Jay

Actually, it WAS a 33si. Delco said replace it with a 36si, which does have the fourth post for the battery sensor & more amps. This wire looks like a fusible link, w/  a lump in it, was on the 33.

Tks!

I can't tell by the pic if the other end of the "link-looking" wire comes out of the loom, or is loose & goes to case. Mine is a loose wire, eyelet on each end.  Does it matter which end goes to +  ?

After I wiped the dirt off the wire, I see it is red & white, so that's the hookup. Tks for all the help. My new alt has the remote sense post, but the pos wire shows direct connectivity to the + post of the battery. Waiting for Delco to call me back, thought I saw I could connect the + wire to the remote post in that case. 

I forgot about the new picture till now. See you figured it out.

My bad for not getting that picture. I was out working and just got back inside to warm up. And realized I forgot.

Now last summer I worked on a Monaco Motorhome and found that they sensed the voltage at the battery side of a battery isolator. About 8' of wire to the isolator from the alternator. That wire that went from the isolator to the battery tested at about 14.1 vdc

The alternator side of the islolator was well over 15 volts. 

Safe Travels  Vern

Archived