Towing configurations

Ray,IN

USDOT definition of towing configurations: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Vehicle_Configuration_508CLN.pdf

Settles the subject..

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The profession I came from we called them "double bottoms".  Never really had a slang for 3 trailers because Illinois didn't allow it.  Don't know how the RV world started calling a tow vehicle pulling two trailers, triple towing but they did.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I've always called it double towing, I think Trailer Life Magazine started calling it triple years ago and many took that rag as being gospel.

Denny 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I call it an accident waiting to happen. When you see a large truck pulling two trailers, all with a company name and logo on them, you know that the driver has had training in how to handle that combination. That doesn't always mean that the training sticks, or that those drivers are always alert, but at least they have had training. I believe that they also have some sort of notation on their licenses to indicate that they are qualified to haul such loads. Joe Blow in his Chevy 2500 with a 40' 5'er attached and a 25' speedboat behind that may or may not know what he is doing.

BTW, some years ago (okay, a long time ago) I worked at a manufacturing plant. They told the story of a truck towing two trailers going past at 60+ mph. Somehow, the rear trailer managed to get loose and tried to come in the front door. The driver didn't notice anything. When he stopped at a weigh station the weight was a LOT less than what he thought he had. As he was trying to figure out why two trailers full of stuff suddenly lot a lot of weight a highway patrol car pulled up and asked him if he was missing a trailer. Then the light came on!

No one was hurt, although some people elected to go home and change clothes. Neither the building nor the trailer were badly damaged. No word on what the driver's supervisor had to say to him.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Double towing, I refused to do it.  Had a hard enough time commercially pulling 90-100k GCVW, esp. as windy as ND gets.  Well, with our normal gale force wind we get, was even harder to pull empty... LOL  Could not imagine running 2 trailers empty here sometimes.  If I wanted to take my boat or toy trailer with me, I'd get a class A or C.  I'm chicken, and proud of it.  Good luck to those that do it, nuttin wrong with it if you have the experience/patience.   Just my 3 cents worth.  Press on with pride.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I drove double trailers for UPS for over 25 years and towards the end of my employment there when I only had to pull 53' trailers instead of doubles I never argued. Also learned they put that pintle hook on the tractor for a reason and got smarter as I go older and used the tractor to move the dolly instead of man handling it. Work smarter not harder!!!!!!

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

It just occurred to me, what do the Aussies call their road trains besides a road train? Some have 5 trailers behind the power unit.

utube video

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, noteven said:

Here ya go Ray 🙃:

Oz trucks

Man! The longest 18-axle road train is 175.5'; the drivers have to have excellent driving abilities.

Australia has 39 different truck classifications, wow. Thanks.

Archived