Towing configurations

Ray,IN

I call it an accident waiting to happen. When you see a large truck pulling two trailers, all with a company name and logo on them, you know that the driver has had training in how to handle that combination. That doesn't always mean that the training sticks, or that those drivers are always alert, but at least they have had training. I believe that they also have some sort of notation on their licenses to indicate that they are qualified to haul such loads. Joe Blow in his Chevy 2500 with a 40' 5'er attached and a 25' speedboat behind that may or may not know what he is doing.

BTW, some years ago (okay, a long time ago) I worked at a manufacturing plant. They told the story of a truck towing two trailers going past at 60+ mph. Somehow, the rear trailer managed to get loose and tried to come in the front door. The driver didn't notice anything. When he stopped at a weigh station the weight was a LOT less than what he thought he had. As he was trying to figure out why two trailers full of stuff suddenly lot a lot of weight a highway patrol car pulled up and asked him if he was missing a trailer. Then the light came on!

No one was hurt, although some people elected to go home and change clothes. Neither the building nor the trailer were badly damaged. No word on what the driver's supervisor had to say to him.

Double towing, I refused to do it.  Had a hard enough time commercially pulling 90-100k GCVW, esp. as windy as ND gets.  Well, with our normal gale force wind we get, was even harder to pull empty... LOL  Could not imagine running 2 trailers empty here sometimes.  If I wanted to take my boat or toy trailer with me, I'd get a class A or C.  I'm chicken, and proud of it.  Good luck to those that do it, nuttin wrong with it if you have the experience/patience.   Just my 3 cents worth.  Press on with pride.

I drove double trailers for UPS for over 25 years and towards the end of my employment there when I only had to pull 53' trailers instead of doubles I never argued. Also learned they put that pintle hook on the tractor for a reason and got smarter as I go older and used the tractor to move the dolly instead of man handling it. Work smarter not harder!!!!!!