series wiring solar

GlennWest

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

I checked the Victron site.. looks like they have 70a models, and they can be paralleled.

Yes I see that one but isn't it 24 to 12 volt?  Have not seen a 48 to 12 one that big.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

https://www.powerstream.com/dcdc-48V.htm

Yeah,  48v is hard to find.  That site says they can build one up to 1000w.  Don't know if 2 Victrons @24v in series would work.

Thanks for the lead, they have a 50 amp model for about $750, and a 70 amp model for $1200 ouch!

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

4 hours ago, jcussen said:

Thanks for the lead, they have a 50 amp model for about $750, and a 70 amp model for $1200 ouch!

Ouch is right, that's pretty steep. Regardless, it wouldn't make me stay with a 12v system.  I ran my 13.5 air on inverter today and I'm  getting some pretty good heat on a busbar at 48v.  Better put some bigger connectors on there!

Edited by hemsteadc

2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

Ouch is right, that's pretty steep. Regardless, it wouldn't make me stay with a 12v system.  I ran my 13.5 air on inverter today and I'm  getting some pretty good heat on a busbar at 48v.  Better put some bigger connectors on there!

Even worse with 12 volt! Ran my ac on batteries last week on 3/0 from busbar to inverter, wire got hot. Replaced today with 4/0, much cooler. You can probably run much smaller stuff, which is my goal.

The benefit of one over the other is system-specific, but in parallel the voltage remains the same and the amperage is greater than before, and in series the amperage remains the same and the voltage is bigger. So, if your system necessary more amps but less power you might go with parallel, or if you needed more voltage then you might go with series.

9 hours ago, Jennifer Ministries said:

The benefit of one over the other is system-specific, but in parallel the voltage remains the same and the amperage is greater than before, and in series the amperage remains the same and the voltage is bigger. So, if your system necessary more amps but less power you might go with parallel, or if you needed more voltage then you might go with series.

So if I need 120 ac,  what do you recommend?

Edited by jcussen

4 hours ago, jcussen said:

So if I need 120 ac,  what do you recommend?

An inverter. ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg