series wiring solar

GlennWest

Maybe I missed something, but could you share with us why you need such a monster system?

I'm 48v 100ah  Li with 835w solar in series, Outback 3.6kw inverter, and can run anything, including air going down the road.  What are you doing with all this power.. running a mobile welding shop? :)

Edited by hemsteadc

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spend a lot of time in south Texas. AC. We do have all mini split for ac but still it is a steady draw. We will run the entire Teton on the system. Shore power will be for charging battery. And solar is chaep right now.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

18 hours ago, jcussen said:

One other suggestion, I am running two strings with 2 solar controllers. one is series at about 120 volts and the other string in series at about 60 volts. Am using 10 gauge on each string down to controller. Shading on modern panels is not such a big deal anymore. I can have one of the three panels in the string shaded and still get at least 2/3 of the voltage and amps.But with that many panels, you will have to run series parallel or have many controllers and lots of wires. 

So our orginal 2 strings of 6 be good?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

So our orginal 2 strings of 6 be good?

Your limiting factor is the controller voltage and amperage .  If you can find a controller that accepts 250 volts, you can run 6 in series for one string [6X40 volts=240 volts]. and combine/parallelI with the other string set up the same way. If you have a 150 volt controller you can run 3 in series, and you can then run another 3 panels in series [3X40 volts=120 volts], and parallel/combine the output of the 4 strings. This will keep your voltage below 150 volts. The Magnum PT-100 will take up to 190 volts, so you could run 4 panels in series [4X40 volts=160 volts] and have 3 strings of 4 in series panels, and then parallel/combine those 3 strings and send to controller. If you are running  a 48 volt battery pack, should be able do it with the one controller. https://www.solar-electric.com/magnum-energy-pt-100-mppt-solar-charge-controller.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvdXpBRCoARIsAMJSKqJp  The advantage of the bigger controller is the higher voltage which allows smaller wiring, and its ability to take that higher voltage and convert in down to your voltage. Lot more variables involved but that is the basics.

Don't let the voltage thing scare you, some grid tie systems run panels in series up to 600 volts.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

I can't draw that out. Sorry. Really appreciate this but just can't picture it. Think you are stating 4 panels positive to negative, then hook remaining plus to plus and negative to negative. Then repeat 3 times.

Edited by GlennWest

1 minute ago, GlennWest said:

I can't draw that out. Sorry. Really appreciate this but just can't picture it. 

Swap 6 volt 100 amp batteries for solar panels, same basic parallel series formula applies. Two 6 volt 100 amp batteries in series is 12 volts but still 100 amps. Two 6 volt batteries in parallel still 6 volt but now 200 amps. Four 6 volt batteries in series/parallel 12 volts 200 amps

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

make 4 panels positive to negative and negative to positive. repet 3 times. Run 1 ground wire from each set and 1 positive wire each set and combine at box. 3 ground and 3 positive wires to roof combiner box. Right?

5 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

make 4 panels positive to negative and negative to positive. repet 3 times. Run 1 ground wire from each set and 1 positive wire each set and combine at box. 3 ground and 3 positive wires to roof combiner box. Right?

You got it, but only with the big controller [pt-100] because your voltage will be 160+. make sure your wires coming from the combiner to controller are big enough though. I would probably go marine 10 or 8 gauge for safety.

Thanks. Also, I downloaded the PT-100 manual and it says nothing about lithium batteries. All they need is bulk charging. I read nothing about setting it up for only bulk charging. 

Edited by GlennWest

37 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Thanks. Also, I downloaded the PT-100 manual and it says nothing about lithium batteries. All they need is bulk charging. I read nothing about setting it up for only bulk charging. 

Call Magnum, you will need float and bulk. On mine set absorb for 1 min, that way goes bulk to float. Of course will have to change voltages as well.

13 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Do  you need the remote to do this?

Don't know, I have all Victron equipment. I can do it  because my solar controllers have bluetooth remotes to adjust parameters. For me it is easier if all equipment is one brand. Call Magnum and tell them what you plan on setting up, sure they will advise on best parts to buy, and how to set up.

I just noticed that Victron came out with a 250 volt 100 amp solar controller that should do the same as the PT-100 and you might be able to get by with your two 6 panel strings.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2018/06/07/video-introduction-to-the-smartsolar-mppt-250-100/ 

Alan at Bay Marine and Supply is an expert on all things Victron and actually has lots of practical experience. {he is a boat guy] and they have the best prices on Victron. 

https://baymarinesupply.com/

Edited by jcussen

On 12/19/2018 at 3:54 PM, Chad Heiser said:

I like the advantages a higher voltage bank offers, but I am still not convinced a step down DC to DC converter will work in the long hall  to run things like leveling jacks and slides.  There are some out there doing it, but no one has been doing it for a long time yet.  By the time I am ready to build my next system, hopefully there will be enough data on the DC to DC converters to see if they will handle high amperage loads over the long haul.

I've been doing it for the long haul.  Victron 48v->12v  360w converter.

Edited by hemsteadc

8 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I've been doing it for the long haul.  Victron 48v->12v  360w converter.

So you not using a 12v battery for 12v? I was considering keeping one just for this. 

4 hours ago, GlennWest said:

So you not using a 12v battery for 12v? I was considering keeping one just for this. 

Even though my house bank is 12 volts, I do not combine with chassis batteries. When driving my chassis battery is charged by alternator. Solar does my house batteries, but when parked with no plug in, use a small inverter on my house batteries which powers a small 3 amp 3 stage charger, that keeps my chassis batteries charged. Not very efficient but do not use a combiner or trickle start because of the slight voltage differences.

Edited by jcussen

17 hours ago, GlennWest said:

No. Not a bad idea though except for the charging part. I do carry a small (garden) 12v battery for other things like a macerator and water pump to fill my tank.

Edited by hemsteadc

13 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

No. Not a bad idea though except for the charging part. I do carry a small (garden) 12v battery for other things like a macerator and water pump to fill my tank.

Probably doesn't apply to a 5th wheels so much, but my slide hyd pump takes about 50 amps and air compressor for slides 22 amps,  sometimes both run at the same time, and course any other 12 volt loads like lighting. Will a converter handle that much without a battery to buffer the big loads?

Edited by jcussen

My hyd slide pump can take more than 50 amps  but my hyd levelers can use much more.  I have  2) 24-12 Dc converters that are rated at 70 amp with a momentary surge of 85 amps  I’ve got them running in parallel. Plenty of amps available. The 12 volt out put is also adjustable and they can also be used to charge a 12 v battery if need be.

Edited by DesertMiner