Magnum ME-2012 still struggling

Darryl&Rita

After swapping out the AC board, the inverter/charger will randomly struggle. The owner asked me over this weekend to look at it. It's cycling between charging, and "DC Overload". The AC output cycles with the overload, causing chaos in the bus, microwave hums when connected to power, TV turns on and off, etc. I'm thinking the batteries are on their last gasp, as a 25 amp Wal-Mart battery charger for 15 minuets will bring the Magnum around. I suspect the cells aren't holding the depth of charge they should be, get pulled down, then the Magnum struggles to bring them back up. I can't find my toaster battery tester, but may go to Harbor Freight to get one yet.
Any other ideas?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

3 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Why don't you take the batteries to WMT and have them tested.

80 lb Trojan T-115 batteries x 4. Easier to buy a replacement tester. On top of the local WMT being the worst place I've ever been subjected to.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

I think you are on right thoughts on the batteries having trouble. Which the magnum is getting confused as to what volts it may be seeing.

I will suggest if it is possible to install a known good battery. Possibly without removing the other batteries. That may give a better answer to your guestion.

Feel the batteries to see if they are warm on the outside. Eliminate any warm batteries. Then separate all the batteries, test each one for the proper voltage. Then just use a battery with the proper voltage.

I carry some spare long cables in my work vehicle for this problem. Then I  can install another battery for a test.

A least there is no snow on the ground,.    Vern

Hey Vern, you keep mentioning the unmentionable. Even in mixed company, the four letter words keep coming.
The batteries are acting like they're running on surface charge only, with no depth to them. The only DC load on them is the house load, including the furnace. She ran the furnace the other night, with it coming on 3 or 4 times overnight. The next morning, the Magnum was in "DC Overload" lock-out, even though the battery voltage was 12.0v. After a quick application of the cheap external battery charger, the Magnum resumed it's Bulk charging duties, until the furnace cycled a couple times. I suspect these batteries have been abused in the past, as some minor bulging is showing on the ends. The owner doesn't remember when they were last replaced, as that was a "Blue" job, and he has passed.

Please e-mail us here.

Darryl & Rita, FWIW just in case the batteries died (do you have a load tester handy) I recently replaced my Four Trojan T-105/s with two Renogy 12 Volt Size 4D AGM's giving me 416 total Amp Hours (20 Hr Rate)  comparable to the four Trojans 450 AH and so far love them. They were like $399 each on Renogys website but Walmart shipped them to a local store free for like $245 each.

John T    PS I just received my November Escapees Magazine late and to my total surprise there I am on Page 16 with my banjo in hand. 

re: battery load testers. If memory serves me correctly, the load tester must have the capability (old ones were carbon pile) of at least half  battery total amperage capacity. One of the experts, please correct me it that is incorrect.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

To put this one to bed, after the owners returned from a cruise vacation, I killed all the power into the unit, pulled all the boards out and checked for more bad solder joints. This unit must have seen lots of use, in hot temps. Lots of suspicious solder joints, which were hit with a soldering iron to get good connections again. The boards should probably be replaced, as this isn't really a permanent solution, but rather, a method of troubleshooting. The charge side has been working flawlessly for the last week, in cool weather of Arizona. Owner to decide whether to send whole unit back for refurb ($850), or order the rest of the boards new.($2-250 per board, x 3)

Please e-mail us here.

Archived