travel I 10 thru el paso

jimd40

We went through El Paso about three weeks ago, and yes there is construction mostly toward the New Mexico border, which I guess is the northwest part of El Paso. We went through on a Sunday afternoon traffic wasnt too bad.  If we had gone through on a weekday, we would have probably taken the bypass, which we have done before.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Do not go I10 west bound about sun down.  The sun really sets in the west and when I last went through there, it semi-blinded me.  I am fearless but that trip scared me. Go later, or earlier, or as has been suggested go around or even over the mountain. 

Good luck which ever way you go!

Catfish

'08 Chebbie K3500; '07 Teton Sunrise Experience;
Native Texan/Transplanted Tarheel; Retired USMC

​LDO

2 hours ago, jimd40 said:

thanks  to you all we well take 375 around  thanks  jim

When you do I'd suggest going up to 404 near Chaparral and coming out north of Anthony. (assuming your going west)

404 is through a valley in the mountain so not a tremendous elevation change (250'ish) .

375 is over the mountain so you'll have a tremendous elevation change (1100'+).  

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

Just came thru 2 weeks ago--375 over Franklin Mtns--did not seem much of a climb to me.   I did get sidetracked at the 375/601 interchange and ended up going west to 54, then back north to 375. Not much of a problem, but would watch the signs in that area--or maybe I was just sleeping...

On 12/14/2018 at 1:30 PM, SWharton said:

Why don't you just take the loop around El Paso? Hardly any traffic. I am not talking about going up and over the mountain but around. I think it is 375-32??-404? and it brings you back onto I10 at Exit 162.

Since we will be traveling that way in March I was trying to see your route on Google Maps but all that I locate of the route is 375.  I'm wondering if that wouldn't get a person around most of the congestion?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Going over the mountain we have found a challenging experience. We did it when we had a MDT and a 38' 5th wheel. We agreed never to do it again.

To find the flat route about half way around 375 meets 54 and that leads you to 3255. I've attached a copy of the route..

Dream Catcher in Deming actually had maps of the route in the office.

El Paso - Google Maps.pdf

Not sure about time but nerves most definitely.

Here is some of the description from Mountain Directory:

"We have not driven this highway but it is said to be treacherous.....6% for almost 6 miles(west bound)...  7% for 4 miles eastbound...Extremely steep on both sides of the summit"

It takes considerably more time to go around, unless you go through at the peak of rush hour.  I drive I-10 through El Paso at least 6 times a year and I've never found an advantage to get off I-10, unless you just want to take a leaisurely drive through the hills.

Jim

1 hour ago, JRP said:

It takes considerably more time to go around, unless you go through at the peak of rush hour.  I drive I-10 through El Paso at least 6 times a year and I've never found an advantage to get off I-10, unless you just want to take a leaisurely drive through the hills.

Finally, someone who thinks like we do.  Now, we make sure we aren't going to hit El Paso at rush hour, so we just don't see what the problem is - we've always just moved right on through - we know not to get in the right hand lanes as they tend to go away and come back, and have trouble going around.   And if the 'mountain' pass bothers you that much, you've obviously not done much traveling in the west. :D

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Guess this is just argumentative, but to describe the road across the Franklin Mts as 'treacherous' is not my view of it...went up the east side at 45-50 in 5th/down the west side w/o even needing Ford's weak engine retarder, and I gross around 31k.  I haven't tried downtown EP for many years, so maybe I'm missing an easier route.  

I also went south of I-10 on 375 to first intersection to fuel up at WalMart for about 20c lower than anywhere else.  Had to wait in line for 2 MHs, tho, only one set diesel pumps.

JRP,  thanks for that recent input on I-10 --will probably go that way going back east in Jan.

14 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Finally, someone who thinks like we do.  Now, we make sure we aren't going to hit El Paso at rush hour, so we just don't see what the problem is - we've always just moved right on through

This is what I was thinking also. We have traveled I-10 through El Paso on alternate years now for the past 5 or so years and while it isn't a great experience, it has never been all that bad either, but we always time to pass through on Saturday, as will be the case next March when we head for Escapade. I do recall the time we hit town on a workday it was ugly through the heart of the city. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just made the return trip, and went thru EP, not around--Monday at noon. Was pretty easy, but the west side has a LOT of construction going on.  I did chance upon a 7-11 station on the south frontage road somewhere about 3 miles east of downtown that had diesel for $2.52 and was not hard to negotiate with my fiver.  About 4 miles further on was a Loves at $3.39...gotta love GasGuru.

I had to smile. I have driven both ways around and through El Paso  and didn't see a problem. But for reference I live and drive in the Fort Worth Dallas area. Come drive I-30 west to east or back any time. This will give you a better picture of what bad is.😁

Bill 

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

10 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I had to smile. I have driven both ways around and through El Paso  and didn't see a problem. But for reference I live and drive in the Fort Worth Dallas area. Come drive I-30 west to east or back any time. This will give you a better picture of what bad is.😁

Bill 

Agreed.  And I-30 is not the worst in that area.  I've driven US287 through Fort Worth at 2 am and it was worse than El Paso.  Let's not even get into the various freeways in and around Dallas.  🙂

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Let's not even get into the various freeways in and around Dallas. 

Or Houston for that matter. But I think that the worst traffic I have experienced in TX would be Austin. My worst traffic experiences ever remain #1 in San Fransisco and #2 in Chicago.

52 minutes ago, karent said:

..has anyone used those visor extenders as seen on tv...?  do they work?

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

I'm not sure which visor extensions you have seen on TV but I did have some on our class A that I bought at one of the camping stores. The ones we had were deeply tinted but you could see through them. Even when down, they were still above my direct line of sight. 

1 minute ago, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

I'm not sure which visor extensions you have seen on TV but I did have some on our class A that I bought at one of the camping stores. The ones we had were deeply tinted but you could see through them. Even when down, they were still above my direct line of sight. 

well that was no help at all was it? LOL!  there's got to be something out there that works....

thanks for the reply!

K

Archived