Texas in Feruary....Where To Go??

Tucsontech

We are wanting to explore Texas the entire month of February. As we have not been there before, I was hoping to get some recommendations on some of the more popular areas. We will be entering from El Paso. I have heard about the the "Texas Hill Country", are there any favorite routes or loops to consider? We definitely are drawn more toward the warmest areas........Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.

The first stops should be Carlsbad Caverns and Big Bend National Parks, Fort Davis State Park/McDonald Observation Star Party.  Fredericksburg/LBJ's Ranch Tour is in the Hill Country.  Rockport is nice. All state parks are nice.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Definitely Big Bend - allow AT LEAST a week for that.

Love McDonald Observatory.  The Star party is great fun.   Yes, visit Fort David State Park.

Canyon Lake COE park is a great place to stay in the Hill Country.  Gives easy access to New Brunfels and San Antonio.   

Fredericksburg area - Ladybird Park campground (believe it is a county park), Rustlin Robs in Fredericksburg for lots of good things to eat (salsa, hot sauce, etc.).  Lots of good German restaurants in the town.   If you have never done the River Walk cruise in San Antonio, do that.   

Goose Island state park in the Rockport-Fulton area.  Do at least two days in Corpus Christie.  One on the USS Lexington and one day to go to the Botanical gardens.  Take the Ferry across Aransas Pass and spend the day in Port Aransas.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I suggest that you leave I-10 at Van Horn and continue east on US90. If the weather is good a trip north to Ft. Davis is definitely a good plan but it can get pretty chilly if the weather happens to be wintery. I would plan a visit to Big Bend Ranch State Park as well as Big Bend NP.  The Rio Grande Valley is attractive to snowbirds but unless you are looking to check that life out, I'd probably bypass it and go toward Corpus Christi. We like Mustang IS. State Park in that area and suggest a stop at North Padre IS NP while in that area. I agree that San Antonio is worth some time, even though we aren't much for cities. If you do go there, be sure to visit the Alamo and also San Antonio Missions NP. We also enjoy the Galveston area and that state park. One thing to remember about visiting Texas is that there are a lot of miles between the various locations. As a TX transplant, I never really grasped how large the state is until we lived here and tried to visit everything. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Be advised Mustang Island State Park is closed due to Hurricane Harvey damage.  There are many other RV parks open in the area.  Fortunately there is much to see and do in the area in spite of all the hurricane damage.  Be sure to call ahead for any RV park reservations as spots will be hard to find in Feb.  Many of the condos in the area suffered hurricane damage and are not for rent, therefore demand for RV sites seems to have increased at many of the parks that are open.  If you have never seen whooping cranes a trip to Rockport/Fulton would be worthwhile.  The birds winter there until March.  Come see south Texas and the Gulf Coast, we winter Texans love this place, Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Don't forget to see the caverns of sonora. It's a beautiful, show cave with formations everywhere. They also have a campground on the property that we've stayed at several times. There is no dump station however because of the closeness to the cave.

There are lots of places to overnight in Texas, including most rest areas. 

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

Dittos on: Big Bend, Ft Davis, Hill Country, WW II museum, San Antonio and you are out of time. Next on your list is Rio Grande Valley, Padre Island South, Kingsville/King Ranch, Corpus Christi, Rockport/Port Aransas, Galveston Island, Bolivar Peninsula and Beaumont.

Secondly I would start my touristing from South to North in February. 

Good luck and enjoy,

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:33 PM, Barbaraok said:

Definitely Big Bend - allow AT LEAST a week for that.

Love McDonald Observatory.  The Star party is great fun.   Yes, visit Fort David State Park.

Canyon Lake COE park is a great place to stay in the Hill Country.  Gives easy access to New Brunfels and San Antonio.   

Fredericksburg area - Ladybird Park campground (believe it is a county park), Rustlin Robs in Fredericksburg for lots of good things to eat (salsa, hot sauce, etc.).  Lots of good German restaurants in the town.   If you have never done the River Walk cruise in San Antonio, do that.   

Goose Island state park in the Rockport-Fulton area.  Do at least two days in Corpus Christie.  One on the USS Lexington and one day to go to the Botanical gardens.  Take the Ferry across Aransas Pass and spend the day in Port Aransas.    

Just one thing and I know it was auto spell check but just so he is not confused .

Its Davis Mountains state park and Fort Davis national monument both are well worth the visit.

Archived