First time winterizing - how to avoid "bad taste?"

johnschnee

We've been camping in a Class "A" for 6 years now, but this is the first time we've had to winterize our rig (always keep it stored or in use waaaaay down South) & am wondering - besides the obvious step of "running a whole bunch of city water through everything" are there any other steps I need to take to ensure that my DW doesn't taste or even think about any anti-freeze residue that might be left behind? I'm thinking maybe it would be a good idea to put some water in my fresh water holding tank & add some of those "fresh water freshener" products & then run that through? I also plan to sanitize my entire water system as soon as possible after getting my rig out of storage.  Mostly I'm worried about the ice maker - any thoughts?

I run apple cider vinegar through  the system and put a gallon in the fresh water tank then run that through then follow up with some water it cleans out your lines and sanitizes the tank. it may taste a little like apples for a bit but its better than antifreeze

1992 Peterbilt 379 cummins N14(under construction)

2003 dodge ram 3500 4wd crewcab dually cummins 5.9

2012 heartland 40' big country 5th wheel

Home base Moody, Texas

To remove odor and taste mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with a gallon of water and add that to your fresh water tank. Fill the tank and then run the mix through your water system. Let it stand for an hour or two and then drain the system and fill with fresh water. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On your first trip, offer to cook the first meal.  Use plenty of tabasco and jalapeno.  By the time she is able to taste the water again, it will be nice and fresh. :)

Seriously though, my DW worries about the same thing.  I always used a bit of chlorine bleach, but I might try the baking soda idea next time.

NEVER put anti-freeze of any type into your fresh water tank, what little water remains in the tank after draining is of no consequence, same for the water heater. The Vinegar recommendation is valid, for the reasons assigned.

There are many utube videos of how to winterize a MH,  just keep my first paragraph in mind.

One method of winterizing has little aftertaste, use cheap vodka. If DW doesn't like that taste_ enjoy the de-winterizing process by yourself. 🤭

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

20 minutes ago, Dodgeguy said:

I'm going to try apple cider vinegar for sterilisation. Sounds like its better tasting than bleach.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are pleased to have you join us. I am skeptical of the ability of vinegar as a disinfectant but perhaps BarbOK will join in since she is our resident chemist. The following is a quote from  Healthy Spaces:

Vinegar can be used as a safer bleach alternative for some applications, like cleaning. It is also biodegradable. However, vinegar is not a registered disinfectant and does not kill dangerous bacteria like staphylococcus.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Don't worry about any residual antifreeze.   After you drain the lines and tank, it will be time to sanitize with a load of bleach.

I don't have any issues with either antifreeze or bleach residue.  My tank drains to virtually empty and then I refill and drain at least once, often twice.

After I learned my lesson to not put the antizee in the fresh tank cleaning up in the spring is just a mater of running fresh water until the pipes are clear I usually use the shore hookup first then put some in the tank, drain the tank and good to go. I have had more trouble with smell after using the camper and letting it sit for a week or two before using again. 

2 hours ago, johnschnee said:

vinegar,

don't dismiss vinegar out of hand.   I use regular cheap white vinegar to eliminate some tastes and smells.   It rinses out pretty easy to get rid of the vinegar taste and smell.  I just used it on a small container about an hour ago.  I like the idea of the apple cider vinegar but I am to cheap to use it much.  I have used it on some really small containers.  I use it a good bit to deal with calcium deposits on surfaces.  I am in areas where this is a big problem for extended periods.

Archived