water softener for 5ther

GlennWest

We are in a park that has soft water. We are in love. lol. I work outside so I really appreciate the soft water. Hard water dries out my skin in the winter. What have most rvers found to work in our campers. They are quite large units.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

6 minutes ago, bja1234 said:

Reverse Osmosis 

ok, everything i find on a goggle search is undersink units. That don't help. Actually have that. Still have hard water at the other parks.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Yes, RO units are NOT for the whole trailer, but are for drinking water.  RO removes particulates down to a very small size.  I have seen systems that include a filter to remove larger minerals, a smaller carbon style filter for smaller particles and then if you want soft water, use a small water softener that can do an ion exchange and the water will be soft.  Lots of components.

Using the softener alone will cause it to be needing regen more often as all the filtered stuff from the pre filters will go through to the softener to be removed, and will compromise the softener.

Marcel

This site:  https://rvseniormoments.com/projects/water-filtration/

Is something I find an interesting read.  I plan on doing this when we get a new camper next fall.  Until then, we bring gallon jugs of spring water to drink.  We only shower in shore water.

I wish that site listed brands, etc they used but I don't think it would be too hard to figure out, or contact the site op.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

22 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Yes, RO units are NOT for the whole trailer, but are for drinking water.  RO removes particulates down to a very small size.  I have seen systems that include a filter to remove larger minerals, a smaller carbon style filter for smaller particles and then if you want soft water, use a small water softener that can do an ion exchange and the water will be soft.  Lots of components.

Using the softener alone will cause it to be needing regen more often as all the filtered stuff from the pre filters will go through to the softener to be removed, and will compromise the softener.

So good filter system, then water softener?

Yes.  I think that you can do alot with a good filter system.  Esp if the CG is on a well.  The water can be better, meaning less chemicals, but also pumps up lots of minerals, so depending on what those are, you really dont want to ingest them.

So, a filter canister with a white element, then another with a charcoal, black element, then a softener and an RO at the kitchen sink if you choose to drink the water from the local supply.  Some people prefer bottled water, but since most of it comes in plastic bottles, I would rather do something different if I can.

Marcel

Is the water softener placed after the two filters or before. I have my two filters placed directly at the hose bib. I am looking into getting a softener also but not sure where in line to place it. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

That's impressive! I would consider that if hard water bothered me.

Linda

I work in the cold weather. Drys my skin out and showering drys it out even more with hard water. That's big reason for me

Glen, 

We run 3 filters and then an ABC water softener, https://602abcwater.com/collections/rv-filtration/products/portable-water-softener-16-000-grain-capacity-10x18-large?gclid=CjwKCAjw6-_eBRBXEiwA-5zHaZEZ0BjIuauBcDx_h9L5TwJ0AfCsiRd3xuwfOqiFjWMGHmP_bstokxoCgHwQAvD_BwE

I have it built in the basement with Pex line, disconnects, bypass valves, etc.  I plumbed the flush to a drain that I can either hook a hose to and let the brine water run out, or I can dump it down a sewer.  2 cans of table salt from a grocery store every 2-3 weeks keep it working great.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have the Double Standard water softener it’s great. It will last us 2 about 6 weeks between regeneration. Takes 2 pounds of table salt and about 20 minutes to do. Water hook up is “Y” / filter/ softener/ filter/ house all quick connects. There’s no electric and you’ll notice when it needs regeneration. 

We’ve had soft water for years and wife said that was s must in 5er. Cuts soap use fixtures and shower stay spotless and even wash TV and 5er with it , no spotting. 

I bought the On The Go 8000 grain  (small) water filter in August during a route thru Idaho, and it works amazingly well.  Probably the size of a scuba rank, and fits in the well in the front of my basement.  Test water with the strip at every site before making the decision to put it inline or not.  Have run 6 to 8 hundred gallons thru it and water still shows super soft.  Southern Colorado water went from as hard as could register to nil.

Another method of making soft water is to use a Cation Resin Softener Water Filter. It fits in a standard whole house filter housing.

Of course this is not nearly as good as the On The Go unit, however  it would suffice for those times we encounter really hard water.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We've been using a Watts RV Pro 10,000 softener for the last five years and it's been great.  We only recharge every two to three months, depending on how hard the water is wherever me may be.  I have the unit inside the pass through and have the filter outside near the hose bib, but after the pressure regulator.  It's amazing how nice the water is filtered and softened.

5 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Is there a difference between a reverse osmosis system and a water softener?

Very much so. Reverse Osmosis is a very high-quality filter system while a water softener conditions the water. There is a pretty good comparison of the two in Plumbing Today.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I've seen a few folks over the years at RV Parks use a portable system where they hook it up in line. I'd bet a quick You Tube search would result a good bit of information.

I remembered seeing a Jack Mayer video on his NH Majestic RO System a few years ago. He has a 100gpd RO in his Majestic that pumps into the FW tank and they use that for water. Here's a link for that;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7as93TCMVoA&t=0s&list=PLiJ8IVlm34GBlVvXkD6JdABRH-gpylAmE&index=7

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

8 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Is there a difference between a reverse osmosis system and a water softener?

Our last sticknbrick (Florida) was on a well.  Part of our system was the RO system which was all located under the kitchen sink.  It supplied RO (pure) water to the kitchen and ice maker.  Other parts of our water system was outside, including the water softener.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

RO systems can be a little pricey.  I don't think I would ever maintain and use one for everything in my RV.  A good whole house filter plus a $250 to $350 water softener would be pretty nice though.  It would not only be better for laundry but would be pretty nice for washing the RV also.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Yep, he has a pretty nice set up.  I think one of the ABC softeners like Alie's & Jim's would work nicely, especially if someone was just going to pull it out and use it for washing the RV and stuff like that.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Archived