Generator ?

runaway parents

https://www.norwall.com/products/Cummins-Onan-Commercial-QD-6-0-Diesel-120V-6.0HDKAV-41934/

This one supplies 50 amps but if you want the equivalent of 50 amp 120/240 volt service like in an rv park, you will have to go to a 12000 watt generator.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

I have my genset configured to provide two 25 amp legs (for a 240V dryer).  The rest of the coach consists of 120V loads.  Got the ACs on different legs that draw about 12 amps each.  The next biggest load is the microwave at 10 or 12 amps.  Never had a problem or even heard the genset grunt when adding load.  So, if you can do laundry when the ACs are off, a 6 KW genset will cover you fine at a lot less $$$ than a 12 KW.

Also, I recommend putting the genset on the truck so it doesn't vibrate the coach.....and a lot less risk of CO poisoning.

Check out these EcoGen gensets for off the grid cabins......others talk about being quiet, but these really are..... 52db at 7 meters.  You have to go outside to check if its running.  For reference, those Honda suitcase generators are 59db, and a 10db delta is considered "twice as loud"

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

Look at the Onan QD 7.5. I picked up a used one recently and am mounting it in the truck. It will run my 240v dryer just fine.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The Onan QSD series in the 8k or bigger series I believe are inverter style gensets.  I know the 10k and 12k are 1800-rpm inverter style,  the 8k might be.  For some items in the coach, inverter gensets are cleaner power and make electronics happy like dishwashers, some convection microwaves, etc.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

9 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Curious, Phil. Where on truck did you mount it?

Glenn, I was going to mount it behind the passenger side fairing but looking at the mods required I have decided to mount it above the drom box.

Lockmup..sweet install. Wish I had the space.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

So do you guys plumb the diesel generator into your truck fuel tank? I currently have a gas generator so I mounted a 50 gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Look into Powertech generators.  We have one on the race trailer 12k.  I couldn't fit the enclosed unit in the space I had so I had to use the non enclosed.  Not super loud but not enclosed quiet either.  Almost 6000hrs and still running strong.  Oil changes and air filter are all it really needs.

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

So do you guys plumb the diesel generator into your truck fuel tank? I currently have a gas generator so I mounted a 50 gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Yes, plumbed into the truck tanks. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived