Magnum ME2012 not charging

Darryl&Rita

Neighbor has a Magnum ME-2012 charger/inverter that isn't charging. I've confirmed 120v into the unit, the green LED is slowly blinking, but the batteries aren't charging. We've placed a 20a batterry charger onto the batteries to limp along overnight. The inverter section is working, as designed. The charge on/off button on the remote panel has no effect. Any ideas?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The only CB's I see are for AC input and 2 output. All are pushed in. I've also followed the manual instructions to hold down the power switch on the unit for 15 seconds to reset the unit.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

David, would it be just as effective to reset the control panel by removing the other end of the phone cable at the inverter end?  I never had to do that, but in my case if I did, that would be easier to get to that taking the display off the wall. 

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Are you checking dc charging at the battery or at the inverter? there should be a dc shunt on the the negative side and a fuse or breaker on the positive side for overload and if you have a battery monitor hooked up I would try unplugging it I have had one fail in the past and the inverter wont charge if it doesn't think there is a battery

1992 Peterbilt 379 cummins N14(under construction)

2003 dodge ram 3500 4wd crewcab dually cummins 5.9

2012 heartland 40' big country 5th wheel

Home base Moody, Texas

I haven't been to look this AM, but I was going to try unplugging the remote at the inverter end. She's been checking the charging by the batteries going flat. It's a direct wire on the "-" side, and a good fuse on the "+", no shunt.

Please e-mail us here.

You made need to do a hard reset. This next move must have all 110 volts off for the inverter and all doc power shoul be off. That is romoving the positive lead off the inverter. Now normally a 30 minute reset will do the trick. While you are waiting , clean the battery terminals.

While you are doing that make sure you are charging the batteries. The inverter probably will not charge them unless it sees a certain voltage. When you touch then 12vdc lead back on it probably will have a small spark. That is ok. Just do not keep putting it on and off.

Hope this helps,    Vern

No joy in Mudville. Followed Vern's instructions above, but still no charging. The battery bank was at 13.5 just before reconnecting the leads, so the bank and connections seem good. The connections had a liberal coating of grease on most of them, but a couple were dryer, and had some corrosion to clean. All connections were cleaned to shiny, and re-greased. 

One curious thing I noticed, the remote temp sensor is giving a reading of 68*C for battery temp. It's warm in Phoenix, but the batteries didn't feel near that warm. I haven't looked at the manual to see what the charging algorithm would do with that temp, but will do that tonight.

Please e-mail us here.

The AC side has been steady @ 119 v, the volts slowly drop, as the inverter pulls out of the batteries, and a DC clamp meter is showing current flow into the inverter/charger. It seems not to be switching over to bypass/charge mode.

Please e-mail us here.

It mite e time to call tech support for suggestions.

But about once a I get one that a 24 hour hard reset will fix it. I have done it on one twice till it worked.

Now several years ago a tech support person talked med through replacing a hidden 1/2 amp fuse that fixed that inverter.

Now if I can bring a YouTube video over in a little while it may help

I am suppose to be fishing for another week.

But that is another story,.  Vern

It maybe thinking the battery is internally shorted.  Since it registers being hot. The sense probe maybe bad also.

Maybe unplug the sense , but sorta just guessing. A call for tech support from the factory would be best.

I am just using my expierence from my work, so once I run out off thoughts I call for tech support. They are just working on there product.

Vern

I don’t know where you are located, but I had mine repaired by a company in OKC. The relays had gone out. I was still within the warranty period by1 week. I went there visiting my daughter and dropped it off. They repaired it and shipped it to me. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

• 4 weeks later...

To bring this to a close, the AC control board was faulty. A replacement board was obtained from an authorized dealer and installed. Initially, it was worse than the original board. The remote would power up, but neither the inverter or the charger section would power up. All connections were checked, and 4 butt connectors supplied installed on the control wiring were replaced. Second go around, Viola! An examination of the original board revealed a bad solder joint on one of the transformer winding connection points. This joint will be repaired, and used as an emergency spare.

ETA: As suggested in another thread, a Harbor Freight battery charger was used to power the coach until repairs were made.

Please e-mail us here.

Archived