Dash circuit board replacement on volvo 1998, 610

OU812

Having trouble with the center circuit board in the dash, 1998 Volvo 610, N14.  I have read and applied the info that has been on this form, and the repairs are short lived.  So this time I want to replace the center section circuit board.   The problem is.... no dash lights,  no mileage reading,  other warning light, I don't know.   BUT  always have oil presser, water temp and air presser(front and rear).   Now that is when going down the road......    When starting. .sometimes   , NO caution,   No start up lights,  No tack,, No speedometer,  No Heater fan.   retarder comes on when throttle off.    I have replaced the key switch with little improvement.   Shut it of... next time around every thing is good to go. I have used  dielectric silicone on all connections.  The plug in on the back of the circuit board seams to be one of the questionable spots.    SO replacing the board with a new on.  Looking for a outlet to purchase on?   Dealership wants $400 +   Is there something else going bad that I need to replace?  Any help is greatly appreciated.   I'm  getting short on crown and doctor pepper.....         Thank you  OU812

Best idea is to buy the new dash cluster.  $1200 or so but then everything works as its supposed to.  Roger Jones did this and gave me his old dash which fixed my problems for now.  But if/when it starts acting up, I'll buy the replacement.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

When you say  "dash cluster"  ...   The whole assembly...  ?                                                                                                                Display ,graphics,  oil,  water.   tack,  speedo,  air gages., ect.   What you take out of dash?

I'll be away till 11/4, but I can probably come up w/ a used one. To match it, you need the EXACT plug config from the center section or any section you want, there are different ones used.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

4 hours ago, OU812 said:

When you say  "dash cluster"  ...   The whole assembly...  ?                                                                                                                Display ,graphics,  oil,  water.   tack,  speedo,  air gages., ect.   What you take out of dash?

Yes, you remove the 2 screws at the top and lay the dash towards you.  Unplug it and plug the new one in.  It is a dealer only item.  You can try on E-Bay for the companies that rebuild them.  Several to choose from.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I sent mine in for repair from a guy on eBay. 150. bucks or so and it work fine. My plug was bad, but he rebuilt the whole thing, lights, gauges etc. Nice to have a fuel gauge now.

JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

1 hour ago, bags said:

I sent mine in for repair from a guy on eBay. 150. bucks or so and it work fine. My plug was bad, but he rebuilt the whole thing, lights, gauges etc. Nice to have a fuel gauge now.

JB

Which guy did you use? Inquiring minds...

1 hour ago, Jaydrvr said:

Which guy did you use? Inquiring minds...

Me too. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Imurphy907      I'm going to use " Aut0motive Scientific Inc " or  ASI  that I found on the net. You may give thrm a call and see what they can do for you.  They are in Rogersville, TN.    My interment cluster is in the mail to them today.  Not cheap   OU812

Please remember, this was under warranty but the Freightliner dealer replaced the entire dash.

It has a 80 point connection and Freightliner thought it more cost effective than searching the faulty connections.

They would NOT enter the current mileage but I keep good records for that.

Talked to ASI. they can rebuild my cluster but said IF they can find a screen for the DIC it would be 600-900 plus normal repair cost. Yikes.

meanwhile I see used clusters for $225 that have good displays. may just try to swap them out.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

5 hours ago, Imurphy907 said:

Talked to ASI. they can rebuild my cluster but said IF they can find a screen for the DIC it would be 600-900 plus normal repair cost. Yikes.

meanwhile I see used clusters for $225 that have good displays. may just try to swap them out.

Yes, you can swap the screen.  I swapped mine and it has had no issues.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

• 2 weeks later...

Up date on 1998  dash cluster........ my dash is still at the repair shop,  ASI.    Hope I will get it back before  Christmas.....HA  HA .   In the mean time.. I need to move the TC... several miles.   SO  I found a dash cluster locally out of a 2000 with a N14.  I finally decided to get it and for-go doing other quick fix, options.   Anyway..... put it in and have major  gages,   oil, water, air pressure,  everything power up as it shod.  So got TC moved.   There is some differences in the 2000 cluster.... I have a 7 gage and the one I used is a 10 gage cluster. Not all gages worked because my dash wiring did not have plug-ins  for it.    So I have extra dash cluster for sale.    I have VIN of the truck it came out of .I've been told that it fits 1998 through 2002 VNL and 64T Volvo.  Christmas is a long way off.  Ou812   

50 minutes ago, OU812 said:

Up date on 1998  dash cluster........ my dash is still at the repair shop,  ASI.    Hope I will get it back before  Christmas.....HA  HA .   In the mean time.. I need to move the TC... several miles.   SO  I found a dash cluster locally out of a 2000 with a N14.  I finally decided to get it and for-go doing other quick fix, options.   Anyway..... put it in and have major  gages,   oil, water, air pressure,  everything power up as it shod.  So got TC moved.   There is some differences in the 2000 cluster.... I have a 7 gage and the one I used is a 10 gage cluster. Not all gages worked because my dash wiring did not have plug-ins  for it.    So I have extra dash cluster for sale.    I have VIN of the truck it came out of .I've been told that it fits 1998 through 2002 VNL and 64T Volvo.  Christmas is a long way off.  Ou812   

Price??

My main cluster is still working, the side LCD panel has no display for many years. But the night illumination of the speed and tach are gone/loose. I wiggle the wire behind. It will good for a short time.

Good to know you still can buy the cluster for $1200 from the dealer.

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

• 3 weeks later...

Up date on dash cluster..... It took four + weeks to get  the  cluster  to, repair, and back in the dash.  I sent it to  ASI in Rogersville, Tn.  It looks liked new and when installed works great..... even the fuel gage works correctly.  The cost total  was in all is just short of $500.  Still have a 10 gage dash cluster out of a 2000 VNL that had a n-14 engine.   I did find out the 10 gage  cluster  has different plug in setup then the seven  gage  cluster. Every thing worked that I could plug in.  Now on to other preventive maintain.... intermediate axel (RT 40) pinion seal leaking......maybe more.  Just need to get apart and find out.   Merry Christmas to everyone.     OU812

On 10/27/2018 at 4:54 PM, bags said:

JB

This is the guy I used. Sorry for being so tardy in replying.https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-00-01-02-03-04-05-06-07-Volvo-S60-S80-V70-XC90-DIM-Instrument-Cluster-REBUILD/280938496869?fits=Make%3AVolvo&epid=1525428949&hash=item41693d4365:g:CtUAAOSwJb9WtRSV

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 8:11 PM, OU812 said:

Up date on dash cluster..... It took four + weeks to get  the  cluster  to, repair, and back in the dash.  I sent it to  ASI in Rogersville, Tn.  It looks liked new and when installed works great..... even the fuel gage works correctly.  The cost total  was in all is just short of $500.  Still have a 10 gage dash cluster out of a 2000 VNL that had a n-14 engine.   I did find out the 10 gage  cluster  has different plug in setup then the seven  gage  cluster. Every thing worked that I could plug in.  Now on to other preventive maintain.... intermediate axel (RT 40) pinion seal leaking......maybe more.  Just need to get apart and find out.   Merry Christmas to everyone.     OU812

theres actually 2 different clusters for 1998. they changed a bunch of wiring in the 1998-2002  versus the 1996-1998 years.. if you look at your MFG date in the drivers side door jam will tell you. and theres 2 different LCD's as well.

AND if you replace one of your circuit boards, they MAY or MAY NOT have to be programmed to know what gauges are in that PARTICULAR cluster and mileage and VIN number.

*I* do have a bunch of cluster parts spare.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

HI   I have my cluster repaired and back in.  Every thing seams to be working just fine..  What I have left over from the project is a complete cluster out of a 2000 VNL 10 gage cluster, N 14 engine.  Mine is a 7 gage cluster.  The plug in in the back are different , because of the added gages. I needed to use the TC (truck), it worked fine until I could get my cluster repaired and back in, (I was in a pinch).  I want  $380 and I will pay the shipping.  I can send more info on the cluster if needed.  Thank you  OU812 

7 hours ago, solo318 said:

My cluster seems to be missing something from the lcd screen on an early 98 (buttons in the cluster) Do you have a diagram or any of the parts?

depends on when yours was manufactured. i have a full set of Gen 1 service manuals and schematics. my books cover from 1996-2002.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Archived