Jump to content
mr. cob

Will there be any discusion at this rally concerning future rally dates?

Recommended Posts

Howdy All,

I realize that there are some, how many I have no idea who attend some sort of rally in Arizona, BEFORE coming to the National HDT Rally, it is also my understanding and I MAY BE WRONG in that understanding that this years rally date was set a week later then usual so that folks who attend the Arizona rally could also attend the National HDT Rally.

Those of us who travel from northern, especially mountainous areas know that anytime in the month of October can be hazardous when it comes to road conditions but the later in the month the greater the chance of having to deal with cold, snow and ice when crossing those mountains.  In 2016 and 2017, when traveling to the rally which was held during the second week of October I drove in snow whilst crossing Wyoming and Nebraska, last year 2017, I drove down Bozeman Pass in Montana which was covered in ice and snow.  I am sure I am not the only one who is concerned about holding the rally so late in the month, going home will be still later and the chances of bad road conditions even greater.

With that in mind will there be any discussion concerning future rally dates, will there be information shared on how many of the  HDT rally attendees come from the Arizona rally compared to the number who don't?  I am NOT trying to stir up trouble, I am concerned about driving in bad weather and road conditions not only for myself but I would wager quite a few who must deal with adverse conditions when the rally is held this late in the year.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally the date is set to be the second week after the Good Sam Rally as we have previously run into conflicts if we scheduled the week right after,  The Good Samers are slow to leave not even taking into account the many HDTers that arrive early.  And the Good Sam Rally is set after the Kansas State Fair.

I don't think the Arizona Balloon event is even considered.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Generally the date is set to be the second week after the Good Sam Rally as we have previously run into conflicts if we scheduled the week right after,  The Good Samers are slow to leave not even taking into account the many HDTers that arrive early.  And the Good Sam Rally is set after the Kansas State Fair.

I don't think the Arizona Balloon event is even considered.

 

Howdy Mark,

Thank you for correcting me, like I said I may have been wrong in what I heard being discussed at last years rally. 

That said, my point stands, the later in the year this rally is held the greater the chance of bad weather and road conditions for many of us who travel from the north or cross mountains.  As to the Good Sam'ers, I have attended counting this year six National rallies, I have yet to see anywhere near half of the campground filled with our group, am I to understand that there are so many Good Sam'ers hanging around that there is not room for our group?  Again I am NOT trying to stir trouble but seeking information.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is open to discussion.  True, unlike the early years when Good Sam occupied the entire park, and in fact rented the entire park, they do no occupy the whole park.  But they do occupy the spaces near the buildings we rent and those spaces neatest the buildings are some of the last to leave.

If we start the week after the Good Samers. our trucks would be spread all over the park and definitely not near the buildings.  That may nor seem important but having the trucks concentrated leads to more dialogs, viewing and walking to the building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I arrived in Hutchinson yesterday (Tuesday, Oct 9th). Monday, while driving across WY on I-80, I drove through FOUR snow storms! I pushed on because the weather out west was supposed to worsen. I was happy it was all rain driving through CO into western KS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

It is open to discussion.  True, unlike the early years when Good Sam occupied the entire park, and in fact rented the entire park, they do no occupy the whole park.  But they do occupy the spaces near the buildings we rent and those spaces neatest the buildings are some of the last to leave.

If we start the week after the Good Samers. our trucks would be spread all over the park and definitely not near the buildings.  That may nor seem important but having the trucks concentrated leads to more dialogs, viewing and walking to the building.

Howdy Mark,

You make valid points, yes being grouped rather then spread out is a good thing just trying to gather information that hopefully be of good use to many.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jkoenig24 said:

I arrived in Hutchinson yesterday (Tuesday, Oct 9th). Monday, while driving across WY on I-80, I drove through FOUR snow storms! I pushed on because the weather out west was supposed to worsen. I was happy it was all rain driving through CO into western KS. 

Howdy jkoenig,

Your driving experience is exactly what I am concerned about, glad you arrived safely.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm torn. Too early means we have to skip out, due to time south of the border. Early fall storms are typically a bear to deal with, with heavy wet snow, and icy roads. I've driven storms year round, and early fall or late spring are my least favourites. Give me a good winter storm any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter when the Rally's are set there are going to be folks who cannot make it due to one thing or another. Weather is one of those things and is very unpredictable,  especially  at least almost a year ahead of time.  Personally I think October is  a great time to visit Hutchinson, KS. Any earlier to me it's way too hot and windy. The Kansas State Fair won't be changed to accommodate the HDT Rally or the Good Sam Rally. While I'd like to take a week off every year to attend, I cannot. Will plan to be there next year though. 

 

Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow    We had it at the ECR in late April so it doesn't seem to matter were you are for our Rallies you just might see some kind of unwanted weather. Is it to early to think Spring? Just think of those people down in Fla and points North. Mike is something to stay away from. Our Prayers are with them.   Pat

 

 

The Old Sailor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JPL said:

Snow    We had it at the ECR in late April so it doesn't seem to matter were you are for our Rallies you just might see some kind of unwanted weather. Is it to early to think Spring? Just think of those people down in Fla and points North. Mike is something to stay away from. Our Prayers are with them.   Pat

 

 

The Old Sailor

We’ve never had snow at the West Coast Rally. ;)  

You all should come and check it out.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

We’ve never had snow at the West Coast Rally. ;)  

You all should come and check it out.  :)

 

LOL.... If it snows then something really bad has happened.... like California has fallen off the rest of the US!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

LOL.... If it snows then something really bad has happened.... like California has fallen off the rest of the US!

Jim, that would then be advantages to all who have purchased beach front property in Arizona !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 10/11/2018 at 12:16 AM, Chad Heiser said:

We’ve never had snow at the West Coast Rally. ;)  

You all should come and check it out.  :)

 

I know its a long time yet but have the official dates for the west coast rally been decided? I am planning on making that trip and places to stop along the way. I want to start making reservations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We fulltime & are almost always in the North. We head South when the campgrounds start closing down, usually from 15-31 Oct. The earlier the rally the more days we end up double paying for campsites because we pay either seasonally or monthly in the North. Later works better for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jenandjon said:

 

I know its a long time yet but have the official dates for the west coast rally been decided? I am planning on making that trip and places to stop along the way. I want to start making reservations.

The WCR is tentatively set for June 10-17 next year.  The park doesn’t start taking reservations until after the first of the year, thus the tentative dates right now.  It will be the first week long WCR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

The WCR is tentatively set for June 10-17 next year.  The park doesn’t start taking reservations until after the first of the year, thus the tentative dates right now.  It will be the first week long WCR.

Ok thanks. Wife and I are starting to figure out a route and things to see along the way. I also have friends and family in Caldwell so I can give them a head up on what week we will be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

DFW RV Roof

RVAir The cleanest air in RVing!

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

AGS Now Hiring

RV Pet Safety

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...