jayco vs wolf pup

w_jimenez

Hello, I'm looking for a used lite weight trailer and my search got narrowed down to a 2016 Jayco jay flight 174BH and a 2015 wolf pup 16 BHS, I really like both models but don't know which is the best option quality wise. Does anybody know about issues with these models?...any advice would be much appreciated

I am not really familiar with either of those specific models, but Jayco tends to have a better reputation than Forest River. We might be better able to help if we knew more about how you plan to use the RV?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I drive a Toyota highlander with 5000lbs tow capacity, I'm looking for a trailer up to 3500lbs. I'll be taking it to provincial parks in the Ontario area and the odd time will take it to the states. they are both very similar, they have pretty much the same floor plan. I just want to choose the best one quality wise

With only a 5,000 capacity, I'd probably look at the R-Pods or the No-Bo ultra light trailers or similar.  One thing I've learned from people on a few different RV boards, is that the tow capacity is not nearly as important as size and hitch weight and axel weight and other things.  We have a pickup with a 7,000 tow capacity and we're limiting our search for a weekender type trailer to under 4,000 lb weight.  In fact, Wolf Pup 16 FQ is our current front runner...mostly because we haven't found anything else that light that meets our "must have" list.

Alice...

Weekender with a F-150 and Rockwood 2503S - until this happens:

event.png

2 hours ago, Alice said:

With only a 5,000 capacity, I'd probably look at the R-Pods or the No-Bo ultra light trailers or similar. 

There are quite a few small travel trailers that weigh less than 5000# gross. We have a 19' Sportsman Classic from KZ that has a gross of 3800# which we towed with a 5000# rated SUV for the first three years that we owned it. Both of those have a gross that is well under the 5000# rating. We looked at the R-pod but could never make do with one. 

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

We looked at the R-pod but could never make do with one. 

Us too.  Looked at probably 6 different models this weekend.  Just not right for us, even as a weekender.  It's really hard to find anything not Forest River around here locally.  I'm excited about a trip we're taking this weekend to Colorado.  We're going to stop at every RV place along the way we can manage! 

Alice...

event.png

30 minutes ago, Alice said:

We're going to stop at every RV place along the way we can manage! 

Have lots of fun shopping. I'd take pictures of any RV you like and a picture of the price sheet to go with it. 

4 hours ago, Alice said:

tow capacity is not nearly as important as size and hitch weight and axel weight and other things.

In my opinion, this is true because tow capacity is often calculated/determined based on a minimally loaded vehicle and often a trailer such as a utility, horse or boat trailer that has a much smaller frontal area than many travel trailers. The height of the trailer also affects the side area of the trailer subject to crosswinds and wind wake from passing vehicles. There is a relationship between the length of a trailer and the wheelbase of the tow vehicle which affects how the combination will handle side winds. This article discusses that issue. 

16 hours ago, w_jimenez said:

I drive a Toyota highlander with 5000lbs tow capacity,

Since you have the Highlander, load it up with fuel passengers and gear as if ready to travel, and take it to a scale. This calculator can then help you evaluate potential trailers.

I would suggest that you look into the hardside popups like Hi-Lo and Trail Manor.

11 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Have lots of fun shopping. I'd take pictures of any RV you like and a picture of the price sheet to go with it. 

If you take the picture of the price sheet or branding on the RV first it will help you know which pictures go with which trailer in the future.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

22 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

22 hours ago, sandsys said:

If you take the picture of the price sheet or branding on the RV first it will help you know which pictures go with which trailer in the future.

Oh I do that.  In fact, I take a picture of the model number, then I take the photos of the inside/outside, then I take a picture of the outside showing the big make/model name, so I have the photos of the trailer sandwiched between identifiers. LOL  I have way too many photos at this time and am glad I have like 32 g of storage on my phone. :)

w_jimenez - I'm sorry I hijacked your thread! 

Alice...

event.png

• 3 weeks later...

Those both are entry level models and about equal in quality, if buying new, I would probably choose the Jayco since Jayco does a little better job standing behind their products than Forest River does.   Since it appears that they are both used, care taken with them would be the deciding factor.  Check all the seams inside and out, and check the floors for soft or squeaky spots.  On these units, tank sizes are usually small as are their carrying capacities.  Compare the cost of new (which never should be sticker price or MSRP) with the used (and I wouldn't pay sticker for those either).  

Cathy

• 7 months later...

I had a Dodge Durango with a 3.6 v 6 that only had a 3500 lb tow capacity. (6200 with the tow package,) So I looked and found that KZ Sportsmen Classics were the lightest trailer with the largest size. So I bought a Classic bht under 3000lb took it from Ohio to Oregon down to Sa Fran and back with no problems.Check out the KZ range. I did trade it for a wolf Pup 16 bhs this year, but I now have a RAM 1500 4X4 5.7 HEMI. On Saturday 6/8/19 I will be taking off from Ohio to Arizona and California.

Archived