Auxiliary fuel tanks for Ram 3500 DRW

RV fan

21 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

But I can pick what state to fill-up in

What kind of range do you have? My 2003 Dodge diesel has 35 gallons but anymore we stop often enough that the stopping isn't a problem but more choices buying would be nice. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

43 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

What kind of range do you have? My 2003 Dodge diesel has 35 gallons but anymore we stop often enough that the stopping isn't a problem but more choices buying would be nice. 

Towing my 21k Teton and Smartcar on bed we get 7 mpg. So I go 1500 to 1800 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 1 month later...

My super duty has 36 ish gallons which is a 200 mile range. My wifes bladder has less distance than that. But we do bring our own bathroom. Now i have been intrigued by the tool boxes shaped like a fifth wheel bedgate which gets positioned in bed rear of the fifth wheel hitch. Any opinions on rear of bed toolboxis welcomed.

I have a 100 gallon aux tank with a transfer pump and can get 1400 miles on a full tank. I estimate the fuel needed for our next trip and carry at least that much fuel which removes the getting fuel stop during a trip. This lets us stop when and where we want to and not being dictated by fuel needs. We also save $$ by filling up at cheaper places and/or before holidays. The fuel tank cost about a grand, but they can be found used for about half price and then I figure I can always sell it and recoup some of my investment when I don't need it any longer. The extra fuel capability was a factor in buying a diesel truck vs a gas. With a tonneau cover over the truck 8' bed, its out of sight.

Edited by gjhunter01

• 5 weeks later...

custom "pork chop"twin tanks. only uses the space in front of the wheel wells, say about 8 inch wide.

just tell the fab shop it is for liquid storage. NOT FOR FUEL.

but keep in mind gasoline is limited to 50 gallons each tank, or less, diesel is good to go up to 200 gallon tanks (never heard of larger).

then the weight of the fuel, more fuel = more weight = less mpg.

remember the Saturn 5 moon rockets, 99% of the weight was fuel. ---6.2 million pounds-- the crew was only in that little capsule on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this week I filled up my 100 gal aux in S. Texas with diesel fuel at $3.65 before the prices went way up (4 days later seen $4.35). That fuel should get me back home to Mich in mid April and will save me a bunch of $$. My last fill up was in mid Dec in N. Texas for $2.85. You won't regret having a aux tank available. We average about 10k miles a year which requires about 8 fuel stops in a year.

Edited by gjhunter01

• 3 months later...

aux tanks are good, serve a purpose. but just a factory tank will give you a chance to stretch every 350 - 400 miles or so.

i say why push it, your out for a good time. not miles.

i had one on my diesel pu, said so i could buy at "good" pricing. it never paid for it's self.

Diesel is so much cheaper at small stations, here at the local walmart, commercial drivers were dropping their trailer in the WM lot and filling up the tractor at Murphys. in front of WM. I had to look a while before i realized what was happening.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I really never bought my 100 gallon tank, expecting to pay for itself. It's all about the convenience of not having to refill on the road with the trailer. We stop every hour and a half or so depending on the wife's bladder.

Then I can shop around for the best price when we reach our destination.

On 6/9/2022 at 6:33 PM, Ray,IN said:

Diesel is so much cheaper at small stations,

I have noticed that in most areas the major brand stations have diesel for less than the big truck stops, unless you have one of the fuel discount cards like the TSD. Since I don't have one, I only rarely stop at a truck stop any more. 

6 hours ago, jayc103 said:

We stop every hour and a half or so depending on the wife's bladder.

When you get to be my age, it will be your bladder as much as hers!   🥴

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

The motivation for buying a 50gal aux tank was convenience. Our usual travel method is drive two days and stay a couple of weeks or more somewhere. The truck alone holds 34 gal. I get about 10 mpg towing. With the extra 50 I never have to fill with the trailer hooked up. The savings by not using truck stops is a bonus.

Wayne and Jinx

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

• 9 months later...
On 12/14/2021 at 5:20 PM, GlennWest said:

I have 300 gallons. Sweet

That is when HDT comes into its own, Better Brakes, really close Fuel Economy, longer Tire Life, roomier in most HDT with Integrated Sleeper.  My KW is not a Integrated but wife says can deal with bunk for on road naps.  180 gal drawable fuel where would stop at 100-120 used.  could swap Rt Tank to 120gal all fuel where lose the available 60 gal empty half should I ever put Hydraulics back on it.  Massive C15 should get over 8closer to 10mpg even with a 5ver behind it.😶

• 11 months later...

I recently bought a 2016 Ford 6.7 the stock tank is only 25 gallons. So I added a 63 gallon auxiliary tank from rds. Read so much on how the cp4.2 pumps in chevy and Ford are a serious liability to these deisels. So rather then a gravity flow, as tanks condensate and deisel floats on water. I took mine a couple steps farther! I put in a low pressure pump with a filter before the pump, then goes to another filter with a water separator,  then down to the tank. The extra steps was only around $60 , but way cheaper than if water gets to these pumps. From what I've read that could be a $10,000 to $15,000 repair bill. Says file to big to post, but its a nice clean easy setup.