Removing VED12 EPG shutter

PEIFamily

Had an issue with my EPG shutter awhile back and had the shop temp disabled the airline to test it. I was happy with the engine braking (one stage was disabled) and never bothered to fix it.  This spring it was stuck again and noticed the baffle was really loose. I was going to get it rebuilt, but has anyone removed it instead and any concerns with doing so? I was thinking of popping the can off and cutting the shutter out to prevent any future restriction.  (This would save throwing $1000 into it as the baffle/shutter is bad and they were not sure if the valve was causing the origional problems). 

Does anyone know if I will have any future problems by cutting this out?

Thanks!

Jason

71HhxaTDOYL._SL1500_.jpg

71i+OwQCpPL._SL1500_.jpg

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Jason

Are saying yours failed partially applied?  Also your estimate on the rebuild kit is about six or seven hundred Canadian dollars low.  I just went through this with the dealer yesterday as well as the air valve, time to skip town before credit card bill comes in.  I am not a mechanic but I see no reason not to gut governor or at least weld it open if it is causing problems.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Jason,

Other than exhaust braking and warming up the engine the shutter and "donut" in the exhaust are there to enhance the EGR function.  There is also a restrictor between the turbo and manifold to increase exhaust pressure for the EPG/EGR assembly.  Charlie (SCLord) and I have bounced questions back and forth during our winters in Florida about going whole hog and removing the restrictor which looks like a big washer with a 2" hole, the EPG valve and the restrictor plate/gasket at the turbo.  Of course, this would impact the EGR function so someone "might" want to think about the EGR delete kit.  Illegal if the Smog Police do an inspection.  Since "we" are not living in colder climates I have little concern about the warm-up time.  From what I can discern removing the EPG by itself "may" be OK but you could create some EGR malfunctions by doing so.  If you go that route I will be very interested in your results.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Well, I pulled it off today (lack of room to remove it forced me to take it off in two parts (3 of 4 bolts snapped off in the exhaust housing when removing the can, but will deal with those Thursday)

Soon as I got it off, the shutter pulled right out, Looks like it was snapped off halfway up the rod? (This would account for the problem I had this spring if the shutter moved and got pinned closed temporarily). I have had my epg disabled for the last almost 2 years so the warmup don't concern me too much. I also have been running the egr delete from otr for the last 3 or so years (works great). 

I am somewhat ok with just using the engine brake only and not the epg brake so I may just make a plate up and delete it for now until I get stateside again for a cheaper rebuild kit on it. I will look for the restrictor as well.  I just got it off and had to leave so I never had any time to snoop around it yet. 

I also finally pulled off the compressor to replace my rusty inspection plugs (found a machine shop that makes them on an as needed basis for a Volvo dealer here). 

While under there, I am replacing most of the exhaust pipe under the cab (leave it to me to do three projects at one time) lol. 

Edited by PEIFamily
Typo

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2018 at 10:42 PM, PEIFamily said:

Well, I pulled it off today (lack of room to remove it forced me to take it off in two parts (3 of 4 bolts snapped off in the exhaust housing when removing the can, but will deal with those Thursday)

Soon as I got it off, the shutter pulled right out, Looks like it was snapped off halfway up the rod? (This would account for the problem I had this spring if the shutter moved and got pinned closed temporarily). I have had my epg disabled for the last almost 2 years so the warmup don't concern me too much. I also have been running the egr delete from otr for the last 3 or so years (works great). 

I am somewhat ok with just using the engine brake only and not the epg brake so I may just make a plate up and delete it for now until I get stateside again for a cheaper rebuild kit on it. I will look for the restrictor as well.  I just got it off and had to leave so I never had any time to snoop around it yet. 

I also finally pulled off the compressor to replace my rusty inspection plugs (found a machine shop that makes them on an as needed basis for a Volvo dealer here). 

While under there, I am replacing most of the exhaust pipe under the cab (leave it to me to do three projects at one time) lol. 

I know this is old but how's your truck running with the deleted EPG brake? I'm thinking of doing the same thing tomorrow and was searching for any been there/done that accounts.

On 9/17/2018 at 10:42 PM, PEIFamily said:

Have you checked to find a used one and just replace it?

It can bench shacked for proper operation, by applying sir to the inlet port.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

12 hours ago, Black said:

I know this is old but how's your truck running with the deleted EPG brake? I'm thinking of doing the same thing tomorrow and was searching for any been there/done that accounts.

No problem at all.. I loose a shade amount of engine brake I think but I never noticed much of a difference.

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

20 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Have you checked to find a used one and just replace it?

It can bench shacked for proper operation, by applying sir to the inlet port.

I've looked for used ones but haven't had much luck yet. I have the two stage though so I'm fine with just plugging the air line and running it with one stage left until a great deal falls into my lap. At this point, I'm just trying to get all the systems refurbished and get her back on the road and this is a non-essential to-do.