Triple towing, legal where?

Phil Saran

Is there a website somewhere that would list what states allow triple towing.  I have  one ton Dodge Ram 3500

and a 34 foot fifth wheel trailer and am looking at adding a side by side on a open trailer behind that.

It is legal here in Colorado where I live, but what other states??

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

Minnesota allows double towing as long as the first tow has a 5th wheel hitch. I remember how excited our friend with a trailer was that he would also be able to bring his boat. That was back in the 70s when the trucking industry just got this passed. I don't think anyone realized back then that this would apply to campers, not just truckers, except campers themselves. They guy who told our camping club about it was a cop so he was probably one of the first to realize the implications of this new law.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

A good reference is a trucker's atlas that can be purchased on line or at any truck stop.  They have a page that lists all the double/triple towing laws and length laws by state.  It is also a handy reference to keep around in the truck for the maps and other features as well.  

Most of the western states allow recreational doubles except Washington and Oregon.  I have towed doubles in all the western states from North Dakota to the north and Texas to the south and everything in between out to the coast (except Washington and Oregon) with no issues from law enforcement (and my rig is a lot longer than you will be with your set up).  Colorado allows recreational doubles on a standard driver's license, so you won't need to worry about any issues with your license no matter what state you are in (as long as that state allows doubles to start with).  It may be helpful to carry a copy of the actual Colorado statute that shows this in case a local LEO is used to seeing some type of endorsement in their state.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

2 hours ago, noteven said:

Aw Chad you wrecked up a good possible 6 page thread with your clear straight forward information...again 😀

🤣

2 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

A good reference is a trucker's atlas that can be purchased on line or at any truck stop.  They have a page that lists all the double/triple towing laws and length laws by state.  It is also a handy reference to keep around in the truck for the maps and other features as well.  

Most of the western states allow recreational doubles except Washington and Oregon.  I have towed doubles in all the western states from North Dakota to the north and Texas to the south and everything in between out to the coast (except Washington and Oregon) with no issues from law enforcement (and my rig is a lot longer than you will be with your set up).  Colorado allows recreational doubles on a standard driver's license, so you won't need to worry about any issues with your license no matter what state you are in (as long as that state allows doubles to start with).  It may be helpful to carry a copy of the actual Colorado statute that shows this in case a local LEO is used to seeing some type of endorsement in their state.

My understanding is California requires a commercial class A plus doubles endorsement for non residents also.With that said I am a California resident and in 13 years of double towing have never been pulled over or given a second look.

35 minutes ago, Double-Trouble said:

🤣

My understanding is California requires a commercial class A plus doubles endorsement for non residents also.With that said I am a California resident and in 13 years of double towing have never been pulled over or given a second look.

California does not and cannot require non commercial out of state residents to follow their licensing laws.  Licensing is reciprocal to all states, so if you a legally licensed in your home state you are legally licensed in all 50 states (registration is the same).

California does require their own residents to have a commercial class A license with a doubles endorsement in order to legally tow doubles (whether commercially or recreationally).  They also require all commercial drivers (regardless of the state they are from) to have a doubles endorsement on their commercial license in order to tow doubles commercially in the state (but they would need this in any state to do so).  

Therefore if your home state (outside of California) allows you to tow recreational doubles with some license class less than a commercial class A with endorsement and you have that lesser class license that allows you to do so, then you may tow your doubles registered in your home state in California as well.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

While I'm no fan of towing double, I wonder if anyone here actually knows someone who was ticketed & fined for doing so recreationally? Like many who have been RVing for a long time, I have heard more than one such story but never have I actually met someone who was. We used to tow double or even triple out on the farm but that was never on major highways and for me, it has been many years ago and that is my only actual experience doing so and it didn't involve an RV.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Years ago I was camped next to a double tow out in the state of Washington.  He had a 1-ton modified flat bed pulling a fiver, towing an aluminum trike trailer.  They were full time and he said they had been stopped in a couple different states (don't recall where) because of the combination.  He said they were not ticketed but told to get legal.  The trike trailer was so light that he could take the trike off and actually pull the trailer with the trike, thus separating the combination until they were out of the state.

But again, here is someone who was stopped but not cited.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

I also was stopped, but not cited (in California).  I live in Calif. and have a CDL with doubles endorsement.  I was pulling a 33' 5th wheel with a small trailer with a quad on it.  Length limit for any trailer in combination is 28'. 

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

That is one of the interesting things, a commercial truck can have a single trailer of virtually unlimited length.  But the minute it goes double commercially, twin 28' trailer seem to be the norm in a lot of states.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

20 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Here is one site among many.  They actually refer to it as triple towing.  http://www.rvsafely.com/rvroadlaws.htm

Double towing is the correct term, if triple tow means two trailers behind a truck then a tractor pulling three trailers would be quadruple towing and I've never heard it described that way.

I manage a RV park in Long Beach WA. and have had people towing a 5th wheel and a boat behind their 3500 Ram. They came through Ca. and Oregon with no problem so I am thinking that both states have changed their ways. I am a retired owner operator and was surprised to see people towing doubles. Actually Wa. considers it to be triples due to the weight rating of the pick up trucks. 

1998 International DT530, 3060 -6spd. 300hp17265030_1321097554595050_6246672396117139287_n.jpg.bfd067f6b99c209485eec6fa5077cd5f.jpg

North Dakota allows triple pup-28ft trailers or a B-Train which is 2 53 ft trailers, or regular doubles- 2 pup.  Fed-X and UPS run triples thru here daily.  Menards pulls B-trains regularly from their warehouse about 3 miles from us.  

I did see a farm tractor pulling 4 hay trailers down a state road this week.... each trailer had 18 round bales on it....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

33 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

North Dakota allows triple pup-28ft trailers or a B-Train which is 2 53 ft trailers, or regular doubles- 2 pup.  Fed-X and UPS run triples thru here daily.  Menards pulls B-trains regularly from their warehouse about 3 miles from us.  

I did see a farm tractor pulling 4 hay trailers down a state toad this week.... each trailer had 18 round bales on it....

I’ll bet that state toad was flattened....

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

4 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Double towing is the correct term, if triple tow means two trailers behind a truck then a tractor pulling three trailers would be quadruple towing and I've never heard it described that way.

I agree.  I didn't write the website.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

• 3 months later...
On 9/15/2018 at 9:07 AM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

That is one of the interesting things, a commercial truck can have a single trailer of virtually unlimited length.  But the minute it goes double commercially, twin 28' trailer seem to be the norm in a lot of states.

not quite right on total length. pending some state rules 75 feet, (B train, triples, etc excluded) or a max axle spacing of (*) is the rule. not very many fixed trailers longer then 53 feet. yes there are "extendable" or "special" trailers but need a extra legal permit to move on any public roadway.

in ca double towing (commercial) is 75 MAX.  rv it is (65) max.

then there is the total weight limits. (based on the tow rig).

and lets not forget how to stop the combo, so got brakes??

and the width is 102 inches max, with some "lesser" roads prohibited due to "oversize laws".

even some roads over "X" feet long can be prohibited.

but sad some mt pass roads are not restricted, and if you do tow ANYTHING over them you will cause damage.

mind the laws in your home state, read up on the dot rules, as most hwy patrol do not know the laws, including the dot inspectors.

but they have the ticket book at the ready.

it can be confusing and strange to understand all the laws for just the 48 connected states. or even just your "area" of the country.

Archived