How do you travel around once set up at a park?

virginiasean

14 hours ago, JimK said:

I just got closed out of stopping at the Kalispell, MT Walmart due to people like you.  Not only is your advice poor, but it is so poor I call it disgusting.  Do not advise others to drop their RVs at Walmart for the day and then head out in a towed vehicle. 

Who decided YOU make the rules? Ask at the store, if they say OK what's the problem?

Pull up you big boy pant for goodness sake.

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

15 hours ago, sandsys said:

I don't know what Walmart's policy regarding this is so I would start by calling them to find out. And I would call each Walmart at which I hoped to do this as policies vary from one to another.

Linda

I don't care what their policies are . There's no chance that I'd leave that kind of investment in the middle of no mans parking lot . Who knows what could happen . The rig could easily be vandalized or oops some drunk or otherwise distracted driver runs into it or worse case , be stolen .

Goes around , comes around .

17 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

I don't care what their policies are . There's no chance that I'd leave that kind of investment in the middle of no mans parking lot . Who knows what could happen . The rig could easily be vandalized or oops some drunk or otherwise distracted driver runs into it or worse case , be stolen .

So none of that could happen at night when you are sleeping in that parking lot?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Earlier this year we had next-door neighbors who were Wally-docking a year earlier. They had gone into town for a bit, leaving their Newmar at Wal-Mart WITH the knowledge of the store management. When they came back their coach wasn't there. There was evidence of a fire, though. The Wal-Mart employees were watching for them, and came running out when they pulled up. While they were gone a battery had overheated and exploded. Their coach was totally destroyed.

Had this happened a few hours later they would have been asleep in the bed a few feet above the exploding battery.

Point is, things can happen no matter where you might be. Had they been in a crowded campground, rather than in a fairly empty parking lot, there could have been other people's coaches also damaged or destroyed by the fire.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

So none of that could happen at night when you are sleeping in that parking lot?

Linda

Sure , maybe some drunk or distracted driver might hit the rig anywhere at any time . But , thieves or vandals likely wouldn't chance being caught red handed if we're in/around the rig . Although , I'm sure there are some that are just intelligent enough to try it . LOL

Still , I'm not leaving our rig to that chance . 

Goes around , comes around .

JimK, if you would have gone to the north side (outdoor section) of the Kalispell parking lot there is always plenty of room. And you don't have to play checkers with that whole stupid layout. And we just left Kalispell after 5 weeks in the area, been to that Wally numerous times, and never looked like a shanty town to me. Of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but if Wally doesn't care, why should I?

3 hours ago, scouserl41 said:

Who decided YOU make the rules? Ask at the store, if they say OK what's the problem?

Pull up you big boy pant for goodness sake.

I can save you the trouble.  Walmart corporate policy is to welcome RVers.  BTW, that also extends to anyone who just wants to sleep in their car.  The local management does not have the authority to change that policy.  That still does not mean it is a good idea to push that welcome for all it is worth.  We definitely do not want the corporate policy to change.  We don't want to see the local community step in an enact an ordinance.

Just now, bobsallyh said:

JimK, if you would have gone to the north side (outdoor section) of the Kalispell parking lot there is always plenty of room. And you don't have to play checkers with that whole stupid layout. And we just left Kalispell after 5 weeks in the area, been to that Wally numerous times, and never looked like a shanty town to me. Of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but if Wally doesn't care, why should I?

Space is not the issue.  At one time you could also stay across the 93 at Lowe's or Costco.  Due to the previous issues there is now a Kalispell town ordinance against staying in any of those parking lots overnight.  Some do it anyway.  I just passed by the yesterday, mid afternoon and could see about 6-10 RVs.  Some were obviously there for an extended stay with awnings and lawn chairs out.  I decided not to take my changes or to break the law so I continued onward.  I missed out on the Laundromat and some other things I wanted to do while in Kalispell.

I saw a lot of the problems when I was there several years ago.  I had stayed several days and also stayed some time in someone's yard who I became friends with.  There was a major shanty town in the parking lot.  It was probably worse then because it was legal and because we were still in the midst of the recession with high unemployment.  There were fights, the police were called and some individuals where using the field on the South end of the parking lot as a dump station!

Incompliance with Walmart corporate policy the shanty town continued.   I visited again a couple of years later and found out the parking was lot shut down.  The lot was posted and the police were active in stopping overnight visitation.    I went to the old Walmart parking lot (now owned by UHaul) in the town of Evergreen.  One of the "residents" explained he had been staying at the Kalispell Walmart for several weeks.  I guess he liked the location because he could afford a new, large 5th Wheel.  Anyway, he went away for the day and returned to find the cable had been cut and his generator had been stolen.  He reported the incident to Walmart and the police.  He bought a new generator and guess what it was also stolen.  This time he really raised a ruckus with the police and with Walmart.  He thought Walmart should pay for his generators.  Soon afterwards the ordinance was passed.

Let us not be part of the issue.  Walmart already has plenty of issues with their welcoming policy.   

To the OP - my rv is either truck towed or a truck camper - for get around I use a motorcycle, or the truck. 

When truck camper based you aren’t unpacking the interior like a garage sale every time you stop due to lack of space to clutter up so getting road ready doesn’t take long. 

Safe travels. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Thank you for all your comments. Wow can’t believe I have stirred up such a hornets nest please don’t bicker everyone it’s far to much fun making plans to resort to arguments over what is only opinion in most cases. So....

1 ) I am female ( virginia and Sean and  I am virginia )

2) we have rented for 6 WEEKS and are very happy with the price even including a one way fee

3) I have asked the hire company  if we can tow and we can’t 

4) we would love to purchase a small motorbike but have been advised that the trunk/garage area of the c class is not big enough. Shame because our RV in UK does have a “garage” big enough 

5) we will purchase bikes for close by tours

6) following your advise we will hire a car when we stop for long stays 3-5 days and use Uber for shorter stays / longer tours

and finally I do see all the points re Walmart and we would never abuse a sensible rule ...

I really LOVE these bikes:

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/

I will admit I don't own one ----yet---- saving up (They aren't that cheap). I like everything they "Claim" about the bikes...E-Bike is the best for treks out of the park.

My current one is just a hack job of a rear wheel replacement from Ebay. But works OK. Motorcycle is my prime secondary.

Just throwing this out there for the group...

Have a great TRIP!

With your limitations a couple of these might be used. Stored in the RV until you camp. Or stored in the RV while you drive to your intended area to tour, and then unfold and go. A couple of backpacks takes care of light grocery or other shopping. When going away from the rig without them, they fold to go inside. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BNV2Q8H/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07BNV2Q8H&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=a54d13fc-b8a1-4ce8-b285-d77489a09cf6&pf_rd_r=E04ES6RHXSXQTKX70JG6&pd_rd_wg=PJYji&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=meYw4&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=10501074-b215-11e8-bcdb-932140fb8169

Just a thought.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 9/5/2018 at 9:18 PM, JimK said:

I can save you the trouble.  Walmart corporate policy is to welcome RVers.  BTW, that also extends to anyone who just wants to sleep in their car.  The local management does not have the authority to change that policy.  That still does not mean it is a good idea to push that welcome for all it is worth.  We definitely do not want the corporate policy to change.  We don't want to see the local community step in an enact an ordinance.

Well, somebody needs to tell security at the Walmart I went to in Milwaukee.  The security guy Hassled me several times when I just wanted to search the internet for tern minutes.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

On 9/4/2018 at 7:32 AM, virginiasean said:

That may seem a silly question but Do you think we need an extra car to tow or do you all just pack up the RV, tour around and return to your base camp later???

Most of the time when we tow one of our RV trailers with the Dollytrolley Freighshaker HDT we have a car in the cargo box on the back of the truck.

However once in a while we tow our old straight horse trailer with our Dollytrolley V 2.05 DP motorhome so we have no car with us so.......Dollymama just saddles-up Dolly-the-painthorse and just rides over to whatever farmers market for fresh veggies as needed.......

Dolly munches on a few veggies and mows the grass while Dollymama shops and once in a while Dolly even leaves a little fertilizer as a thank-you gesture........

Drive on............where is the.........equine parking?

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

1 hour ago, Dollytrolley said:

Most of the time when we tow one of our RV trailers with the Dollytrolley Freighshaker HDT we have a car in the cargo box on the back of the truck.

However once in a while we tow our old straight horse trailer with our Dollytrolley V 2.05 DP motorhome so we have no car with us so.......Dollymama just saddles-up Dolly-the-painthorse and just rides over to whatever farmers market for fresh veggies as needed.......

Dolly munches on a few veggies and mows the grass while Dollymama shops and once in a while Dolly even leaves a little fertilizer as a thank-you gesture........

Drive on............where is the.........equine parking?

Equine parking - in front of the Spurs Cafe on N Tegner 😀😀

but youse guys would know that ...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived