How do you travel around once set up at a park?

virginiasean

I can not recall ever seeing a rental RV towing a car. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I just never noticed it. Because flat towing would require adding a base plate to the rental car, unless the RV rental company also rented the car I doubt the modifications would be appreciated. Towing a car on a dolly or trailer would be possible if not prohibited in the RV rental agreement.

When we had a Class C, the few times we went places and toured the area; we rented a car, took a tour or used shuttle services/public transportation. If there was something along our route, we would stop and then continue on or stop there for the night rather than return to the previous nights stop. We observe many tourists  in the smaller rentals using the RV for touring. It will add to your mileage if that is a consideration. 

Depends on what you are driving, if it is a Class B the answer is no.With a Class C the answer is maybe, you can get to most places with the Class C but not all. With a Class A I would say absolutely a car is needed.

You could rent a car but the time wasted in renting and returning is significant. Also car rental is not available all over the place.

I don't know why trailertraveler assumes you are renting, there is nothing in your post to indicate that.

A B Class (Van type camper) wont be a problem and probably not a C Class either. A bigger A class 30' or more could be a problem but if you park it at a Walmart or a big store that has a big parking lot you might be able to use Uber to get a ride into a city center. Most tourist towns have "Hop on Hop off" tour buses that will let you get around. Public transport in the US is hit and miss. Some cities have excellent coverage and some don't. A little research on each might help there. We have a toad but still use Uber sometimes when we don't want to drive in city traffic.

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

22 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I don't know why trailertraveler assumes you are renting, there is nothing in your post to indicate that.

I based it on this previous post in this thread

Hi my husband and I are planning a long trip west (LA) to east coast (Orlando) next year including some parts of Route 66. We have already booked the RV

OK,

An RV is not just a Motorhome, be that a class A, Class B, or Class C. It is any recreational vehicle which includes trailers, which category breaks down into travel trailers pulled with a bumper hitch, or fifth wheels (fivers) that are hitched in the bed of a truck making it inherently more stable than the travel trailers.

When we were full time RVrs for seven years our RV was a 36 Foot deluxe fifth wheel. I drove my 1 ton Diesel dual rear wheeled truck for a year as a daily driver to and from work and on errands. Then it was our tow vehicle and only daily driver. When we are set up, we had/have our tow truck to drive once parked. We like the stability of a fiver so much that now that we are no longer full time, we got one of these 19 foot fivers:

aeud2Njl.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

Today lots of folks without RVs use trucks as daily drivers. We refer to any daily driver truck as a "Cowboy Cadillac" for that reason.

Just another option.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I suggest that you may want to consider a rental car at the places that you stay for several days or a week. The rest of the time most folks do fine without one. It is handy to have the car but it would be expensive and can be worked around. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Have you already bought your RV? As this question of transportation once parked pertains to choice in RV type as well. I preferred to maintain and insure only one engine on the road. Renter's insurance or equivalent is required for any valuable contents over the in either type.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

See traveltrailer's second post here

Why? Virginiasean is the OP who asked the question.

I did just see the other thread where he says they are renting. Having stood corrected I have to ask how much does a six month RV rental cost??? I'd rather buy and get some of my money back later when I am done with whatever RV I bought used, rather than never recoup the rental costs. In both cases someone else has slept in the bed and used the toilet.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Agreed, so if convenience is number one, money is no object, the question is moot. Just call Enterprise rentals, they come pick you up. Or use Uber. How we all deal with getting around at destinations, has everything to do with why we chose the type of rig we chose. This thread does illustrate some limitations of each type of RV once parked. Either a towed vehicle behind a motorhome, or the tow vehicle in the case of a trailer.

However whether I would or not rent has no bearing on the decisions Sean made or has yet to make.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Our Class C was only 24' long so we could park it most places if we could get two spaces front to back or if we could back into a space where our tail end could hang over grass. We did a lot of sightseeing en route to our next destination. When we wanted to see sights in a city not easily accessed by even a small RV (Key West) we rented a car from Enterprise since they would bring the car to our campsite. But, I don't know how hard it might be for non-residents to rent a car. And car rental places tend to only be in cities not towns nor parks.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

RV_ said:

I have to ask how much does a six month RV rental cost??? 

virginiasean said:

we plan to visit over our 6 week trip.

Renting an RV is expensive but renting comes with far less risk and takes much less time than it would to buy something, license and insure it and then try and sell it again at the end of the trip. In addition, there is nowhere near the upfront capital required for a rental. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

24 minutes ago, jpcoll01 said:

RV size and getting around is one thing, tearing down your camp to go get a gallon of milk is quite another.  

Yup. That's why we stopped at grocery stores before arriving at overnight spots. Walmart always has room for stopping en route. We also kept a running grocery list and the rule was, if you nearly finished something used regularly you immediately added it to the shopping list. Of course, I don't drink milk or eat cereal so if Dave ran out of milk he had only himself to blame. :)

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I didn't see any of the following suggestions:

I carry either an E-Bike or Motorcycle. (depending on destination)

Rear hitch carrier can support either weight wise, some e-bikes actually come in a fold up model now-a-days and fit inside while traveling. Most e-bikes have the range to get to town and come back with that gallon of milk. (Or get some exercise if over range).

Motorcycle is a great alternative with greater range and load.

2 hours ago, RV_ said:

I did just see the other thread where he says they are renting... Hav..ing stood corrected I have to ask how much does a six month RV rental cost??? ...

They said in their first post in the thread that I linked to before:  

we plan to visit over our 6 week trip

Buying an RV sight unseen from over seas and selling it after a 6 week drive across the country does not sound very appealing to me. The Cruise America website does not give estimates for a one way rental, but a 6 week rental from LA with 1420 miles is a little over $6300. 

Our first RV trip was a three week rental and it was was of the best deals we ever made. Cheaper than motels every night and restaurants every meal. To say nothing of ever having to deal with a gas station's bathroom.

Linda Sand

When you are full-timing you will have something towing something else. If you choose a motorized vehicle, whether A, B, or C you will tow something behind it or carry something on the back. If you choose a towable, whether pop-up, TT, or 5'er, your tow vehicle will be your daily driver.

Weekenders are a different sort. They are going to a campground that is generally fairly close to home, and can easily bring multiple wheeled vehicles. The past weekend, for example, we had a young family next to us. Dad drove the truck that pulled the travel trailer and had some of the toys in the back. Mom drove the car with the jet ski trailer behind and the kids inside.

We do have some friends who are fulltiming in a 1973 (yes, 1973) Dodge van conversion. They are very much minimalists, but still, they are a bit cramped. They don't have a second vehicle, not even a bicycle. They do have a screen tent that they set up and put a table, the refrigerator, microwave, and chairs in it. Unless they need to stay in a particular place for several weeks, if the weather gets too bad to sit outside they just pack up and go elsewhere. When they need to get groceries they only have to move a few things inside the van and away they go. That isn't for most people, though.

Most campgrounds are out from town far enough that you will need some sort of vehicle just to go into town for groceries. Stopping for groceries on the way is fine if you aren't going to be there very long. Sightseeing is usually easier and cheaper in something smaller than a 40' DP. We generally park somewhere and spend some time exploring the area in the car. This year we've been parked in one place for 4-6 weeks at a time several times, and having the car to run around it is great.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

12 hours ago, scouserl41 said:

.... A bigger A class 30' or more could be a problem but if you park it at a Walmart or a big store that has a big parking lot.........

Disgusting idea!!!  I think it is great that Walmart has a policy that welcomes RVers.  I take advantage of that often.  I also am happy to shop at Walmart when I visit for the night.  It is a win-win.  Unfortunately there are those who want to take advantage.  Apparently just using the Walmart parking for the day seems Ok.  Why not take a dozen parking spaces while you are at it?  While you are at it why not stay for days or even weeks? 

I just got closed out of stopping at the Kalispell, MT Walmart due to people like you.  Not only is your advice poor, but it is so poor I call it disgusting.  Do not advise others to drop their RVs at Walmart for the day and then head out in a towed vehicle. 

20 minutes ago, JimK said:

Do not advise others to drop their RVs at Walmart for the day and then head out in a towed vehicle. 

I don't know what Walmart's policy regarding this is so I would start by calling them to find out. And I would call each Walmart at which I hoped to do this as policies vary from one to another.

Linda

I know the national Walmart policy.  In fact it is very evident.  Walmart welcomes RVers and provides a good place for them to stay in off hours.  Unfortunately the national policy is often abused to the point where something has to be done.  I stayed in a Walmart near Seattle that was filled with semis.  That Walmart had no choice but to restrict overnight parking which also affected RV travelers.  In Kalispell the Walmart had turned into a shanty town with RVs that were there for weeks or even months at a time.  One RVer even complained to me that Walmart did not protect his generator that he left on the ground under the RV while he was doing other things for the day.  In Kalispell, Walmart still welcomes RVers, but the city has an ordinance against overnight parking so you take your chances.  Use some GD sense.  The Walmart parking lots are not a place to leave your RV while you tour the area for the day.  No one should promote such an idea.   

BTW, I am currently staying the night at a Walmart parking lot in Idaho.  We have 3 or 4 semi rigs and about a dozen RVs.  I spent a $120 replenishing my groceries and will move on in the early AM.  I would guess the rest of the trucks and RVs will also be gone  by 7-9 am. 

Let's not abuse the welcome!  I have no idea where I would have stayed otherwise.  Don't stay and hog parking during the day..  Don't stay for days at a time.  Done drop trash or the ultimate dump black water in the storm sewer.  You don't need to understand Walmart corporate policies or call an individual manager to realize what is appropriate.

You didn't mention what size RV you're renting but most visitors to the U.S. travel in a Class C around 25-28'. If so, then don't worry about a car. You can easily tour in that size unless you want to rent a car in Los Angeles and Orlando for touring.  In between you won't need a car.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived