Medicare enrollment -legal vs. mailing address

I'm preparing to enroll in Medicare.  My legal domicile is in Florida and mailing address in Texas, both through Escapees.  Will I be able to specify both addresses and get my insurance as a Florida resident but have all related mail sent to Texas?   This has worked for me well with other matters but I'm unsure about things like Medicare and Social Security.  I don't want to risk them messing up my domicile state.  Thank you!

I would think that it would work for both of those but I also suggest that you make contact with each agency in person to make sure. I can't see any reason for it to matter to social security since it is paid the same regardless of your domicile. Medicare could be domicile sensitive since the supplements do vary from state to state and I believe that premiums do also. If you are currently in FL I'd go by the office but if not call or email them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Here is the publication Social Security sent.  It's a .pdf or I would post the link:

What You Need to Know When You Get Retirement or Survivors Benefits

Social Security Administration | Publication No. 05-10077
ICN 468300 | Unit of Issue — HD (one hundred)
January 2018 (Recycle prior editions)

Produced and published at U.S. taxpayer expense

On page 5 there is an interesting section on what you must report to the government.  Here is just a little highlight of many:

1. Let us know if you plan to go outside the United States for a trip that lasts 30 days or more. Tell us the name of the country or countries you plan to visit and the date you expect to leave the United States. We’ll send you special reporting instructions and tell you how to arrange for your benefits while you’re away. Be sure to let us know when you return to the United States.

Here is an excerpt from page 4 of the same booklet:

"How we’ll contact you

We usually mail you a letter or notice when we want to contact you, but sometimes a Social Security representative may come to your home. Our representative will show you identification before talking about your benefits. If you ever doubt someone who says they’re from Social Security, call the Social Security office to ask if we sent someone to see you. And remember, Social Security employees will never ask you for money to have something done."

I, like many others, was domiciled on Rainbow Dr., Livingston TX and had no problems at all caused by that. In fact I began drawing SS in 2004 and resided at that same address up to late in 2011 when I moved to my current address. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There is difference. Social Security Retirement doesn't send anyone to your door. Supplemental Social Security is different. They will send someone to your door. I had no problem signing up for retirement, medicare, my supplement plan, and the Rx plan,  all on line. You need to register using your legal residence. But you can use any mailing address. 

I decided to just give my Florida (Escapees) address since, as someone else had said, the online form asked for mailing address and do you live here.  It just seemed simpler and I'll deal with the delay in receiving any mail sent to Florida which has to get routed to Livingston.  Thanks to all for the replies!  -Cathy

4 hours ago, minimalista said:

I decided to just give my Florida (Escapees) address since, as someone else had said, the online form asked for mailing address and do you live here.  It just seemed simpler and I'll deal with the delay in receiving any mail sent to Florida which has to get routed to Livingston.  Thanks to all for the replies!  -Cathy

We are totally digital with Medicare.  Nothing by mail, all online.  Only way to go.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 8/23/2018 at 9:12 PM, gdheinrich said:

I am a licensed agent in both Texas and Florida and can assist you.    I am also an Escapees commercial member.   Just give me a call at 1(866)558-3577 extension 101.

Gerald D Heinrich

thanks Gerald for volunteering to help folks in this confusing market.  yes realize you make something, but still good to know you reach out.  People are going to need supplemental insurance too in most cases.

Archived