Can we have a "toy" thread, I need education RZR's, Maverick's

mr. cob

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Chad,

Do you have any suggestions on where to buy a spare tire and wheel, I am sure dealer cost is really expensive.

Dave

Call all around to your local dealers.. some sell take offs for those that upgrade before leaving the show room floor. 

I will say this.. the big horn tires have great traction but wear really fast. And have very soft sidewalls... Keep on top of air pressure or be ready for pinch flats. My personal suggestion.... Sell your factory wheels/tires as a set and upgrade to some better wheels/tires. I personally run an 8ply radial and have at least 2000 miles on them and they still look great. Never needed a plug or a patch yet... The desert out here in Southern Nevada is rough on tires. 

2 hours ago, atv_idiot said:

Call all around to your local dealers.. some sell take offs for those that upgrade before leaving the show room floor. 

I will say this.. the big horn tires have great traction but wear really fast. And have very soft sidewalls... Keep on top of air pressure or be ready for pinch flats. My personal suggestion.... Sell your factory wheels/tires as a set and upgrade to some better wheels/tires. I personally run an 8ply radial and have at least 2000 miles on them and they still look great. Never needed a plug or a patch yet... The desert out here in Southern Nevada is rough on tires. 

Howdy atv_idiot,

Good advice but I won't be able to do any tire-wheel swaps in the near future, I am leaving in two days for another 75 day trip.  I didn't think to ask the dealer if they had any take-offs, that's a good suggestion I'll look into it when I get back home.

On another note, I stopped over to my friend Chris's home, he's a hard core dirt bike and snow bike rider, he has 14 acres of really fun land with a creek running through it, rocks, stumps, logs, you name it, it's there.  To say that I am highly impressed with this machine is putting it mildly.  Over the years I have built some very serious Jeeps and there is no way in heck one of my old Jeeps would go where this went with EASE. 

So far I have been driving it in ECONOMY MODE with the NORMAL KEY, Chris says, "Come on man, turn this sucker loose."  So like an idiot, I shut the engine down, installed the "Hold my beer and watch this",  key flipped the switch to SPORT MODE, and mashed the skinny pedal.  All I can say is I have NEVER driven a 4x4 vehicle that will throw you back in the seat like this thing.  I shut the engine down, reinstalled the NORMAL KEY, switched to ECONOMY MODE and continued our play time.  I need more seat time before doing that again.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 hour ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy atv_idiot,

Good advice but I won't be able to do any tire-wheel swaps in the near future, I am leaving in two days for another 75 day trip.  I didn't think to ask the dealer if they had any take-offs, that's a good suggestion I'll look into it when I get back home.

On another note, I stopped over to my friend Chris's home, he's a hard core dirt bike and snow bike rider, he has 14 acres of really fun land with a creek running through it, rocks, stumps, logs, you name it, it's there.  To say that I am highly impressed with this machine is putting it mildly.  Over the years I have built some very serious Jeeps and there is no way in heck one of my old Jeeps would go where this went with EASE. 

So far I have been driving it in ECONOMY MODE with the NORMAL KEY, Chris says, "Come on man, turn this sucker loose."  So like an idiot, I shut the engine down, installed the "Hold my beer and watch this",  key flipped the switch to SPORT MODE, and mashed the skinny pedal.  All I can say is I have NEVER driven a 4x4 vehicle that will throw you back in the seat like this thing.  I shut the engine down, reinstalled the NORMAL KEY, switched to ECONOMY MODE and continued our play time.  I need more seat time before doing that again.

Dave

hahahaa yes, these machines are quite impressive. 
On your 75 day trip, call a few dealers in the area you will be and see if they have any. My buddy just purchased the same car last week and the dealer sold him a front wheel/tire (bead lock as well) for 100$. Make sure you buy a front as it will work on a rear, but not the other way around.  
If you are on facebook, there are tons of pages dedicated to SXS's. With over 5000 miles on my XP1K it still impresses me what it can handle with ease. 

Howdy All,

Getting ready to head out on this years annual fall sojourn, I am leaving in a couple of days. this year I'll be attending two ADV-Rider rallies, the National HDT rally, and visiting with Ural riding friends in Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, and then back home to Washington.  I should get back home around the middle of November.   The garage in my toy hauler is 18 feet long, in the past this was always enough room to carry an assortment of toys, however the newest toy the CAN AM XRC, is 11 feet long, in order to get the Ural in I had to use the winch on the XRC to pull the Ural into the trailer and drag it sideways a bit to get everything to fit.  Yes I know, a first world problem of the upmost importance.

IMG_3173-L.jpg

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

This is what the forest is like behind my home, thousands of acres of this kind of terrain, this is a smooth spot, last evening Chris my neighbor and I had a great time ripping along old long abandoned and over grown logging roads and blazing our own trails to get around fallen trees.

123_1-L.jpg

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Looks like you are definitely having some fun with your new toy. :D

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 1 month later...

Howdy All,

Thought I would update this thread, I have been having a blast with this new toy.  Drove it in Wyoming up in the mountains, drove it in Arkansas at Byrds Camp, on rocky trials and I am now staying at Little Sahara, state park in Oklahoma driving it on the sand dunes.  I am absolutely amazed as what this darn thing will do and do it easily with a fair degree of comfort to the driver. 

Had a lot of fun in the mountains of Wyoming.

IMG_3183-L.jpg

IMG_3186-L.jpg

Installed a half windshield while I was in Arkansas, this really made a difference in comfort while riding at speed.

IMG_3293-L.jpg

Crossing a small creek in Byrds Camp in Arkansas.

IMG_3318-L.jpg

IMG_3319-L.jpg

Playing on the sand dunes in Oklahoma.

IMG_3368-L.jpg

IMG_3369-L.jpg

I am going to spend one more day here then I'll move on to another sand dune state park in Oklahoma before dropping down to the Amarillo Texas area to spend some time with friends in that area.  From Texas I'll work my way back toward the HDT rally in Kansas but I'll be playing at different spots along the way.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

They are definitely a lot of fun.  If you go anywhere near my place on your trip home, you will have to stop in so we can go riding.  There is an OHV park not too far from me.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

They are definitely a lot of fun.  If you go anywhere near my place on your trip home, you will have to stop in so we can go riding.  There is an OHV park not too far from me.

Howdy Chad,

I just might do that, I will be heading north on I-5 when going through your part of the country so your not that far off the path.  I might have a hard time turning around at your home, it was tight when I did it with the Freightliner, and the Pete, is longer.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 8/15/2018 at 1:32 PM, mr. cob said:

...  They are installing the street legal kit, ...

What exactly is a street legal kit?

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Just now, Av8r3400 said:

What exactly is a street legal kit?

Howdy Av8r,

A horn, turn signals, and mirrors is about it, the rig came with hi-low beam headlights, tail lights and brake lights.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 minute ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Av8r,

A horn, turn signals, and mirrors is about it, the rig came with hi-low beam headlights, tail lights and brake lights.

Dave

In my home state we can drive on "route listed" roads and highways as a registered ATV/UTV.  My rig has tail and brake lights along with high/low headlights.  I added mirrors because I wanted them...

Do these accessories you mentioned allow road operation in every state or just certain areas where you travel?

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

7 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

In my home state we can drive on "route listed" roads and highways as a registered ATV/UTV.  My rig has tail and brake lights along with high/low headlights.  I added mirrors because I wanted them...

Do these accessories you mentioned allow road operation in every state or just certain areas where you travel?

Howdy Av8r,

Every State is different, and it is sometimes different within the State, to the best of my knowledge there is no uniform standard as to what constitutes a street legal UTV-ATV.  It's pretty much up to the local LEO as to what is or can be allowed on the street at least that has been my experience.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Chad,

I just might do that, I will be heading north on I-5 when going through your part of the country so your not that far off the path.  I might have a hard time turning around at your home, it was tight when I did it with the Freightliner, and the Pete, is longer.

Dave

I’ve since widened my turnaround.  You shouldn’t have any issues.

event.png    

2 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I’ve since widened my turnaround.  You shouldn’t have any issues.

Howdy Chad,

Is there anything I need to drive my rig in California, permits etc? 

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

7 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy Chad,

Is there anything I need to drive my rig in California, permits etc? 

Dave

Technically there is a Non Resident Special Operating Permit Fee you need to pay to operate an off highway vehicle in the state.  It is a minimal fee (the code says at least $20) that will give you access to ride your off highway vehicle in the state for one calendar year (the permit expires December 31 of the year it was purchased).  Any DMV in the state can issue the permit.

event.png    

2 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Technically there is a Non Resident Special Operating Permit Fee you need to pay to operate an off highway vehicle in the state.  It is a minimal fee (the code says at least $20) that will give you access to ride your off highway vehicle in the state for one calendar year (the permit expires December 31 of the year it was purchased).  Any DMV in the state can issue the permit.

Howdy Chad 

Is there a place near you where I could get the permit?  What do You have in mind would we be camping somewhere that we could ride out of or would I park at your home, drop the trailer and Smart Car and then use the truck to haul the CAN AM?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Hey Dave, cut and pasted from the CA OHV Parks site and this looks like you are good with your WA Reg?

C - What If I Am Visiting From Another State?

I will be traveling to California from another state to ride my OHV. Do I need California OHV registration (Green or Red Sticker)?
If you are a resident of another state and your OHV has valid registration from that state, you do not need a Green or Red Sticker or a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. If your OHV does not have valid registration or the equivalent from your home state, you will need to get a California Nonresident OHV Use Permit. A title is not registration. For states bordering California, the Oregon OHV Permit, the Nevada OHV Registration Decal, and the Arizona OHV Decal meet the requirement for OHV registration by residents of those states. States that do not have an OHV registration program are:

Alabama Kansas South Carolina
Alaska Kentucky South Dakota
Florida Mississippi Tennessee
Georgia Nebraska Virginia
Hawaii North Carolina West Virginia
Illinois    

A non-resident with an OHV from one of these states must purchase the California Nonresident OHV Use Permit to operate on California's public lands.

A non-resident from the remaining 34 states need not purchase California's permit as long as they can provide valid proof that they have a current registration or their home state's equivalent for their OHV. If a nonresident cannot provide valid proof of possessing such a document, they must purchase the California Nonresident OHV Use Permit.   (15)

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

4 hours ago, Ronbo said:

I go to California every year and I don’t worry about it. I am longer than you. They have better things to do than mess with rv’s. 

Howdy Ronbo,

i also drive my truck and trailer through California and don’t worry about the length I was asking about what I may need to drive my CAN AM in the ORV area.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy CrazyCooter,

Thanks for that information I should be able to ride without the California permit as my rig is registered and plated in the People’s Republik of Washington.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Thanks CrazyCooter.  I guess I should have been more specific in my original post.  I forgot to ask mr. cob about his existing registration.  I was in a bit of a hurry when I posted that information.

mr. cob, the OHV park is about 15 or so miles from my house.  It would require hauling the SXS's to the park to get there and ride.  Maybe we could convince CrazyCooter to come down and ride with us if the timing works out.  ;)

event.png    

Archived