Can we have a "toy" thread, I need education RZR's, Maverick's

mr. cob

1 minute ago, dennisvr said:

Dave,
You should spend some time around Lake Havasu this winter.  There is a lot of stuff going on.  Balloon festival, fire works extravaganza and a lot of other things to do.  I usually boondock north of town at Lone Tree BLM Jan-Feb.  From where I camp I can ride in any direction.  Hope to be there this year if the house build doesn't hold me up.

By the way.  The picture in my avatar is of me feeding the burros in the town of Oatman AZ about 30 miles north of Havasu on old route 66.  I always say its one ass feeding another.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw you had mention getting it plated.   When we did a offroad trip with about 20 dirtbikes and quads we spoke with some local LE. They said ANY dirtbike quad or SxS that was not designated from the factory as being street legal could not be ridden on the public roads.  That said nothing we rode was and did not ride in town just gravel roads marked on trail maps.

As I age I too am looking at a similar toy. I was also looking at Yamaha as it shifts. 

1999 Freightliner FL 60 Crew Cab SOLD
300 HP Cat, Allison 6 speed
2010 3912 Raptor Toyhauler SOLD
Dirt bikes and Quads

Coming soon 2005 Country Coach DaVinci Inspire Sold

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultralite  8328

8 hours ago, dennisvr said:

By the way.  The picture in my avatar is of me feeding the burros in the town of Oatman AZ about 30 miles north of Havasu on old route 66.  I always say its one ass feeding another.

Howdy dennisvr,

I'll have to learn about all the places folks use this type of toy, it a brand new ball game for me so I am open to suggestions on where to go.  I think are all arses of some sort at least we all have one thing in common. Thanks for you reply.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

4 hours ago, Steveoreno said:

I saw you had mention getting it plated.   When we did a offroad trip with about 20 dirtbikes and quads we spoke with some local LE. They said ANY dirtbike quad or SxS that was not designated from the factory as being street legal could not be ridden on the public roads.  That said nothing we rode was and did not ride in town just gravel roads marked on trail maps.

As I age I too am looking at a similar toy. I was also looking at Yamaha as it shifts. 

Howdy Steveoreno,

The street legal kit only allows the rig to be driven in certain areas in the People Republik of Washington, unlike some enlightened States that realize MONEY can be made off of the people who enjoy this type of activity.  Those who rule the PRoW, would rather shut the woods, mountains and deserts of the PRoW, down but still take your money in taxes and fees to give it to illegal aliens and drug addicts.

I looked into the Yamaha with the manual 5 speed, on one hand I like it on the other I don't want to work at this I want to play, I can see in some circumstances where being able to shift and have a clutch would be a good thing still in others it could make a difficult situation even more so.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Just now, atv_idiot said:

Congrats on the purchase! Get yourself a good GPS app for your phone (motion X GPS or LeadNav) and I can share tracks with you from all over the southwest. I have well over 10,000 miles offroad from Utah to Nevada, Arizona and Southern California. 

Howdy atv_idiot,

I have used Garmin GPS's for decades, will your tracks work in a Garmin GPS?  It sounds like you have valuable information to share, here's hoping we can figure out a way to do it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

I'd be interested in an HDT-UTV rally...

Although my rig may be too "Geezer" for you guys.

Kntbyo0.jpg

Howdy Av8r,

I can only speak for myself but I would assume that like our trucks and trailers are of all different brands and types if this group were to have some sort of UTV rally all types and brands would be welcome.  I know that's the way I would do if I had anything to do with getting the ball rolling.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, atv_idiot said:

Mr.Cob, Do you know if you can import files/tracks into your Garmin?? I'm able to convert these files over to just about anything... (.kml .kmz .gpx etc)

Howdy atv_idiot,

I can put "gpx" files into my computer, into a Garmin program called "Basecamp", then transfer those files from bascamp into my GPS.  Well I know its possible, but being the computer idiot that I am I personally have never done it.  If we ever had a UTV rally I think if someone who was good at thinks like importing-exporting tracks to a GPS could give a class on it that would be GREAT.  Maybe a class so how to setup your springs rates etc, there are a bunch of things that I am sure some folks are very knowledgeable about that many others could benefit from.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Well you know what they say, without photos it didn't happen.  Donna and I just returned from our first ride, took it up some forest service roads, had a very good time.  I might add this thing comes with two keys, one key activates the learning mode, the other key activates the hold my beer and watch this mode.  There is also an ECONOMY setting and a SPORT MODE setting, I had the learning key in and ECONOMY selected even in those settings this thing is a mover.  I think I am going to like this.

IMG_3168-L.jpg

IMG_3167-L.jpg

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Congrats again.... From the pics, it looks like its sitting pretty low. Check with your dealer to make sure they set it back to factory ride height. They lower them a TON for shipping. Most dealers leave them that way, but you are giving up ride quality and ground clearance with it set low.
As for GPS tracks.. I have tons of tracks all over southern Utah, California, northern Arizona and now a bunch in the Black Hills of SD

23 minutes ago, atv_idiot said:

Congrats again.... From the pics, it looks like its sitting pretty low. Check with your dealer to make sure they set it back to factory ride height. They lower them a TON for shipping. Most dealers leave them that way, but you are giving up ride quality and ground clearance with it set low.
As for GPS tracks.. I have tons of tracks all over southern Utah, California, northern Arizona and now a bunch in the Black Hills of SD

Howdy atv_idiot,

I joined a CAN Am, forum reading through different threads it seems like the ground clearance when the rig is loaded as you would be riding in it should be at 15 inches, but because of some federal law the ones that are sold in the USA are set at 13 inches due to some roll over requirement.  I am going to see if I can verify where the ride height should be and then start turning the spring preload adjusters.

The spring preload adjusters on the front shocks look to be easy to get to, the ones on the rear shocks look like they are going to be a pain in the arse to get to.  As to the GPS track files, I know that I can load GPX files into my Garmin Basecamp program and from Basecamp load them into the GPS but I have never done such a thing.  Do you have a way of sharing the files, can they be loaded onto a thumb drive?

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

19 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy atv_idiot,

I joined a CAN Am, forum reading through different threads it seems like the ground clearance when the rig is loaded as you would be riding in it should be at 15 inches, but because of some federal law the ones that are sold in the USA are set at 13 inches due to some roll over requirement.  I am going to see if I can verify where the ride height should be and then start turning the spring preload adjusters.

The spring preload adjusters on the front shocks look to be easy to get to, the ones on the rear shocks look like they are going to be a pain in the arse to get to.  As to the GPS track files, I know that I can load GPX files into my Garmin Basecamp program and from Basecamp load them into the GPS but I have never done such a thing.  Do you have a way of sharing the files, can they be loaded onto a thumb drive?

Dave

Havent heard anything about a roll over requirement but 15" is the correct height according to a buddy of mine who just purchased one as well. Two inches lower changes all the valving and compression which in turn changes how the car will handle and perform. What ever you do, do NOT adjust them with the car sitting on the ground. Make sure its jacked up and suspension is at full droop.
As for the tracks.. I can share them via drop box or even email depending on how many tracks I have for that given area..

Congrats on the purchase. We just returned late last night from a week in Southern Oregon. We stayed at Crater Lake RV and rode from there for several hundred miles of trail and jeep roads. You will not regret your decision. Scary thing is how fast you can get 100 miles from no where. 

27 minutes ago, atv_idiot said:

Havent heard anything about a roll over requirement but 15" is the correct height according to a buddy of mine who just purchased one as well. Two inches lower changes all the valving and compression which in turn changes how the car will handle and perform. What ever you do, do NOT adjust them with the car sitting on the ground. Make sure its jacked up and suspension is at full droop.
As for the tracks.. I can share them via drop box or even email depending on how many tracks I have for that given area..

Howdy atv_idiot,

I am going to see about setting the ride height, I am getting a lot of useful information from the folks over on the CAN AM Maverick forum.  I don't have a clue what drop box is or how to use it, I don't know how to get the files from an email into Basecamp, I honstly am a complete computer idiot, that is no joke.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

14 minutes ago, tyates007 said:

Congrats on the purchase. We just returned late last night from a week in Southern Oregon. We stayed at Crater Lake RV and rode from there for several hundred miles of trail and jeep roads. You will not regret your decision. Scary thing is how fast you can get 100 miles from no where. 

Howdy tayes,

I am really looking forward to meeting some other folks, learning and riding this new toy is something I think I am going to really enjoy.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

1 minute ago, HERO Maker said:

Dave, I'm really glad that you found the ideal toy for you and Donna!  Sounds like you are going to have a blast and it only gets better from here.  Have fun man,

Howdy Rocky,

We did have a good time, when she quits working end of next December, I am working on getting her to go south and do the Quartzite thing for a while in February.  I would like to add a half windshield, don't want a full shield can't see through them when they are dirty, have given serious thought to a spare tire and carrier, some of the places I would like to go I don't think you would survive trying to walk out if you lost a tire.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

A spare tire is very handy to have on a long run just in case (I may have a little bit of experience in this area). :(

The New ride looks great.  You should have a lot of fun with it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Howdy All,

Just got off the phone I now have full coverage insurance on the XRC, Progessive covered it, I was surprised they would insure the rig as it has a turbocharger.  Got the insurance through Thum, the same folks who insure the truck and trailer.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

14 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

A spare tire is very handy to have on a long run just in case (I may have a little bit of experience in this area). :(

The New ride looks great.  You should have a lot of fun with it.

Howdy Chad,

Do you have any suggestions on where to buy a spare tire and wheel, I am sure dealer cost is really expensive.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I didn’t have an opportunity to shop around when I had my issues.  I just went straight to the dealer because they were pretty much the only game in town.  There are a few on line retailers that have decent prices, but it doesn’t hurt to at least ask the dealer.  Your purchasing dealer may be willing to give a discount since you just bought the rig from them.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived