Extending my receiver hitch

time_traveler

I have a 27' TT(loaded weight of 6,100 lbs)  which I tow with a 2018 Tundra (5.7 engine)  I want to be able to tow with my tailgate down so I can carry a 500lb motorcycle in the bed of my trunk. I'm looking to increase my turning radius when the tailgate is lowered. I was thinking about extending the ball shaft or the receiving hitch about 6"-8".  Is this a good idea? Will it create any other issues such as putting too much stress on my rear bumper by increasing the tongue weight?  

thanks for reading and I welcome any suggestions 

Mark

I've used this link to Jake-E-Up on my previous Casia trailer and my current Nash.  With the tailgate down on my 2010 long bed/long wheelbase Tundra the tailgate would still hit the propane bottles on the Casita but clears the propane tanks on the Nash.

2022 F-250 4X4 LB SC Godzilla V8 /2014 Northwood Nash 17K/SKP098347

7 hours ago, time_traveler said:

Will it create any other issues such as putting too much stress on my rear bumper by increasing the tongue weight?  

If you tow with a hitch that is attached to the bumper it will do that, but most receivers are connected to the chassis rails via a frame designed for the purpose, and not to the bumper. Extending the receiver will effectively increase the load on the rear axle but if you use an equalizer hitch that is somewhat mitigated. Doing this you are getting into some engineering issues that are far beyond my skills so I suggest that you start by contacting the manufacturer of your hitch assembly.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Truck camper owners  extend the hitch so that they can tow boat or other trailers. Here is a link to one that may work for you. I think thsy recommend using their own receiver on the tow vehicle

• Length (from end of SuperHitch receiver to end of SuperTruss receiver): 24"
    • Receiver opening: 2" x 2"
    • Weight capacity when used with SuperHitch Original or Magnum:
      • Maximum gross trailer weight: 7,500 lbs
        • Maximum GTW when used with weight distribution: 14,000 lbs
      • Maximum tongue weight: 750 lbs
        • Maximum TW when used with weight distribution: 1,400 lbs

•  

I would be afraid that the extra length would create a moment that would magnify the tongue weight on the hitch components and frame of your truck.  Is your Tundra capable of handling the tongue weight of the trailer, all of the gear in the truck, and the extra 500 lbs of cargo for the bike in the bed? 

Regards,

John

• 2 months later...

I have a friend that has about 4' of hitch extention. He pulls a three horse trailer and and scares the heck out of me. I told my wife we would meet them places but I,will never travel with him. There are ways for him to make it safe. However 6 to 8" is a different matter. Many wheight distribution hitches will give you that much with out an extention. The gen-y hitch with wheight distribution hitch will give you even more. Check the manufacturing specifics. It might be worth considering a tire support so that you can go with out the tailgate if the specs don't add up. If you are unfamiliar with wheight distribution hitches they  basically double the allowable hitch wheight it is probably on a tag on you receiver.

When using an adapter, your towing capacity and tongue weight will be reduced by 50%. For example, if you have 5,000 lbs towing and 500 lbs tongue weight, you will be reduced to 2,500 lbs towing and 250 lbs tongue weight. This is because the hitch extender moves the load out farther from your vehicle, applying more leverage to your hitch.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-hitch-adapters-extenders.aspx

• 1 month later...

Archived