Sewer pipe cap losses

Xboaters

Our trailer fitting is quite low and have on numerous occaisions lost or found the cap loose.  This is caused by the cap rubbing the ground while traversing a dip or high spot.  When  the cap contacts the ground, the forward motion of the trailer unscrews it.   If the locking fingers were reversed so that you turn the cap counterclockwise to lock it on, the problem would be solved.  Has anyone seen such an animal?  Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

2000 Freightliner Century Class w/ sportsbed, 10 sp autoshift, Cummins N-14 475 hp, 3:73 rear and Trailersaver Hitch

2016 Voltage 3805 Toy hauler

1987 Chenowth Baja racer, 1835 CC VW

21 minutes ago, Tex Bigfoot said:

my thoughts are that if you found a backwards thread cap then instead of unscrewing it would most likely break the cap or piping.

my suggestion would be to see if you could replumb so that the drain is higher off the ground.

just my 0.02 and worth every dime you paid 

I agree completely.  

If you really want to solve the problem you need to try and rise your drainage pipes or even think of raising the trailer to get more clearance on your pipe.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Thanks for your comments, raising the trailer is the next project on the list.

2000 Freightliner Century Class w/ sportsbed, 10 sp autoshift, Cummins N-14 475 hp, 3:73 rear and Trailersaver Hitch

LEO doesn’t like that in CA.  However, you did initiate an idea.  I wonder about using a rubber expanding plug found at any hardware store....

10 minutes ago, Xboaters said:

LEO doesn’t like that in CA.  However, you did initiate an idea.  I wonder about using a rubber expanding plug found at any hardware store....

That's great , for now .

I'd think you'd NEVER want that pipe hitting anything .

Goes around , comes around .

26 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

I'd think you'd NEVER want that pipe hitting anything .

I agree but it can be a problem when the trailer has the sewer connection far to the rear of the trailer. Since you need some slope in the drain line it gets low for trailers that sit close to the ground. If the RV builders would just locate them close to the axles it would prevent that problem. I have had to deal with the same issue.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

10 hours ago, Xboaters said:

not legal to have a missing cap in ca?

never heard or anyone pulled over or ticketed for a missing cap? 

i know mine stay with the piping,  guess,  just another control law in ca.

All pipe fittings are standardized and you are not going to find a pipe cap with a "Left Handed" thread, sorry. But if it's PVC it should be relatively easy to cut and fit what you have to either raise or reroute it to somewhere it's protected by the frame or at least a less venerable spot. (all this said from the comfort of my chair from thousands of miles away!) 

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, scouserl41 said:

All pipe fittings are standardized and you are not going to find a pipe cap with a "Left Handed" thread, sorry. But if it's PVC it should be relatively easy to cut and fit what you have to either raise or reroute it to somewhere it's protected by the frame or at least a less venerable spot. (all this said from the comfort of my chair from thousands of miles away!) 

How very true! You put it very well. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My plan is to go with bayonet fittings very soon. The standard RV fittings are really not all that well made and the sun if quite damaging to the plastic. I think Mark has had these type for a while. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

You can change your RV end to a camlock type fitting and then buy an adapter to fit your sewer hose.  Our old Carrilite 5th wheel had the WasteMaster Sewer hose set up that used the cam lock type fittings.  Didn't have to twist anything on.  https://www.google.com/search?q=camlock+seer+hose&oq=camlock+seer+hose&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.7315j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

17 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

I agree but it can be a problem when the trailer has the sewer connection far to the rear of the trailer. Since you need some slope in the drain line it gets low for trailers that sit close to the ground. If the RV builders would just locate them close to the axles it would prevent that problem. I have had to deal with the same issue.

That is a great thought, if it is toward the rear maybe it could be rerouted towards the wheels?  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

23 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I've seen it on different trailers . 

We never had that problem as we skipped the whole travel trailer part of RVing and went right to a motor home . ;)

That isn't necessarily a guarantee of avoiding the problem.  Our Beaver has it's sewer connection underneath the basement floor of the water bay which is just ahead of the rear axle.  Normally, it is high enough to avoid problems but we've had a couple of instances in which it wasn't.  One time there were protruding rocks along a road in a CG and the sewer outlet was hit hard enough to break the Valterra valves on the tank outlets.  Changing out all that plumbing wasn't a fun project.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

That’s exactly what I want to avoid!  You’re a brave soul!  

1 hour ago, docj said:

That isn't necessarily a guarantee of avoiding the problem.  Our Beaver has it's sewer connection underneath the basement floor of the water bay which is just ahead of the rear axle.  Normally, it is high enough to avoid problems but we've had a couple of instances in which it wasn't.  One time there were protruding rocks along a road in a CG and the sewer outlet was hit hard enough to break the Valterra valves on the tank outlets.  Changing out all that plumbing wasn't a fun project.

I would have thought that a Beaver would have a better set up than that . To me , they have always seemed one of the nicer motor homes 

Our Monaco has the sewer connection inside a bay behind the rear wheels . It would have to be a major catastrophe to mangle anything sewer related . 

Goes around , comes around .

Archived