New York State R endorsement

Daveh56

Hello!

So I want to get a 5th wheel RV and wish to tow it with a HDT. So what I need is find a suitable HDT or MDT then have the 5th wheel changed out for one designed for towing RV's secondly I need to purchase the 5th wheel RV. Third item is have a friend with a CDL to drive truck to where RV is located and pick it up and deliver it. Last item is get a 30 day permit for the R (recreational vehicle) endorsement. Last item is learn to drive it by practicing backing up and parking etc etc and hopefully find a place to do all that without hitting something or someone! Apparently the permit allows you to drive without a CDL driver with you except when actually taking the test!  You gotta Love NY!! Then schedule a drivers test and then you must have the CDL driver/friend accompany you to DMV , then take and pass the driving test. Did I miss anything??

I'm not sure on the specifics of NY State driver license laws, but I know one of the forum Members is from New York and has been through the process.  Hopefully he will chime in.  I can't remember his forum name off the top of my head either (apparently I can't remember much today).  As to your other points, finding a suitable HDT for RV service, adding an RV style 5th wheel hitch, finding a suitable 5th wheel and then practicing driving the combination are all necessary steps.  Good luck with the process.

On edit:  I remembered the NY State forum member's forum name.  It is RoadWarrior420.  Maybe send him a message if he doesn't see this thread and comment.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

The simple answer to your statement is yes, that is mostly what you need to do. I'm not sure about the permit allowing you to drive without being accompanied by someone with an R endorsement or Class B CDL or above. From my experience, you will be better off taking the road test with either a motor-home with a gvwr  of 26001 lb or greater or a Pickup truck and fifth-wheel  with a gcwr of over 26001 lb.  Once the examiner sees the HDT it confuses them and they don't know what to do.

You will get different answer to your questions from anyone you talk to at DMV.  They are clueless.  Most of the people at the local DMV's will not know what you are talking about when you tell them you want a permit for the R endorsement.

Sean

I plan on it! (leaving NY that is) as soon as I have a sufficient nest egg my wife and I will head straight to Tennessee. So I think the best way to get a NY State  R endorsement is find a used Toterhome @ racingjunk.com  they have several available for under $50K and when I get ready for more space I can add a 5th wheel RV behind. And of course getting the R endorsement will be easy. No need to explain the big rig to the DMV or the hassle of borrowing or renting a Dodge Ram 3500 or similar that has the proper hitch to tow a RV. Also will be a lot easier to do the road test vs using a HUGE Class A to take the test (The Class A scares the shit out of me) A Semi Truck looks like it would be easier to drive and a lot safer then a Class A. Seen too many youtube videos of a Class A after  a head on collision!

Archived