How to Enable Windows Defender’s Secret Crapware Blocker

RV_

OK this useful, and free. I just enabled it on my Surface Pro 4 I'm using. When you right click on the start button there are two PowerShells listed. Make sure you use " Windows PowerShell (Admin)” not "Windows PowerShell." This fairly easy and straightforward to do.

Excerpt:

"Windows 10’s antivirus does a good job overall, but it lets crapware through. A hidden setting intended for organizations will boost Windows Defender’s security, making it block adware, potentially unwanted programs, PUPs, or whatever you want to call this junk.

Why You Should Block This Junk

Crapware is often bundled with free software downloads. It’s not technically malware, but it often shows advertisements, tracks your browsing, slows down your PC, and is just the kind of thing you don’t want on your computer.

This type of software includes browser toolbars, weather programs, and assistants like Bonzi BuddyPC optimization tools that claim your PC is slow or vulnerable and want money to fix the problem are also common.

Malwarebytes and many other antimalware programs also have a setting that blocks these “potentially unwanted programs,” which have been called “malware with a legal team.” Windows Defender can block this garbage, too. But it doesn’t block this software by default.

RELATED: PUPs Explained: What is a “Potentially Unwanted Program”?

How to Enable the Crapware Blocker

You can enable this setting from a Windows PowerShell prompt with administrator permissions. Right-click the Start button or press Windows+X and click “Windows PowerShell (Admin)” to open one."

The full article with screen shots and hot links is here: https://www.howtogeek.com/360648/how-to-enable-windows-defender’s-secret-crapware-blocker/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV

My PC does not show a power shell or a power shell (admin).  I have a command prompt and a command prompt (admin).  I am guessing this is the same but wanted to check with you first.

Thanks

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Nope not the same. Are you running 10? Home or Pro?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

It is an option what is shown Command/Command (Admin) or Windows Powershell/Windows Powershell (Admin) in the Taskbar Options

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

RV

Running Windows 10 Pro on both laptops.

Now just for info.  One was a Win 7 Home machine to begin with upgraded to Win 7 Pro with a Purchased 7 Pro Key then was upgraded to Win 10 Pro when that came out.  The other started life as a Win 8 Home machine upgraded to Win 8.1 and then to Win 10 Home.  After someone posted you could upgrade your Win 10 Home machine to Win 10 Pro if you had a Win 7 Pro Key of which I did so I tried it and it worked so now both machines are Win 10 Pro.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Thanks Mark

I went into task bar options and turned on the option to show power shell vs command prompt.  Got it changed and then enabled the crapware protection on both laptops.  They both show a 1 now when I do the check that was shown in RV  initial posting.  Thanks RV for the great tip.  More often than not I will blow by that little box down in the corner that is checked thereby downloading some Crap that I do not want when I am doing updates on something like CCeaner..  I am assuming you should still uncheck the boxes just to make sure you do not download it?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

• 2 weeks later...

YW!

Sorry I've been absent so much. We're setting up a Scamp fiver to look at some places we are thinking about moving to soon. it now has a king size bed! Glad you figured that out with Mark's help!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived