Oil change, service

GlennWest

Well, on this job at Westlake Louisana. Figured I would get truck serviced. Not found anyone here. This is a surprise. Is a Martin truck dealer in Lake Charles but not open except week days. Guess I will have to wait till this job over and head back to Baytown

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I would do mine myself but I don’t have anything to drain 10 gallons of oil into. And then I would have to transfer it to something to take it back.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

5 gallon buckets, Lowe's or Home depot, get a lid too.

Great weed killer, and wood preserver:)

Just kidding, unwind your underpants people.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Can't in an RV park. Curious what you drain that much oil in

Wonder down to Tractor Supply or local feed store and buy a black rubber 15 Gal oval stock water / feed tub.

The heavy rubber construction is beyond tough so if........if.......you are busy texting the pictures of your buddies and you back over the tub full of oil it won't hurt the tub.... ...will make a mess but the tub will be ok.......

To remove the old oil from the tub I often thought of using Dollymamma'$ grain-$coop ....... however she would do things to me that can't be mentioned even on Pirate 4x4 forum......

I just use a cut out half gallon whisky jug as a oil Dipper and funnel the old oil back into the oil containers that the new oil came in.

Some decades ago some kid often drove a bunch of lod trucks out to the end of a old ship pier and drained the oil out and the outgoing tide would "recycle" the oil back to ......China / Japan / L A..........oh the "good ole Days"......

Drive on.........(how many shop rags does it take to clean up 10 Gal of black oil??)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Speaking of oil, what is the right service interval? Miles? Hours? I know most only change once a year, but what is the rule of thumb? I've seen every 10k, 15k, 20k, and 25k miles recommended in Cummins documents. 

Good news is in 7k miles since the ECR, where I had the oil changed at J&K, the dip stick is still at the full line. Finally got that oil leak fixed (was a sensor port).

Also, what is the right oil pressure? Going down the road, the gauge is showing 40-45 psi and idle is 20-25ish? Is that right? 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

I have the Fumoto valve, and it works well. Take 4- 5 gallon buckets under and fill each one about 2/3 full, leaving some free board for sloshing.  

I change the oil every other year, at about 10k miles.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Glen, from where you are there is a Speedco about 2 hours east.  Been there and used their services several times.  Since they are open all hours, it might work out for ya.  Also, give you a chance to exercise the truck a little.  2205 SW Railroad Ave, Hammond, LA 70403

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

4 hours ago, Trainer said:

It is two hours west to Baytown and no Baton Rouge to get through.  Plus, I will treat you to lunch while here if you will be so kind to let me know.

All the best.

You in Hammond?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived