RV Route Brunswick to Ellsworth, ME

GR "Scott" Cundiff

We are headed for Bar Harbor, Maine next week and looking at either taking I95 up through Bangor and then down to Bar Harbor or taking Hwy 1 up from Brunswick to Ellsworth.  Is Hwy 1 a decent RV route or should we stay on the interstate.  (Not too worried about "scenic" at this point - we'll have lots of time to sightsee without the 34' 5ver in tow.)  Thanks.

http://prntscr.com/k9p90n

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

On 7/23/2018 at 8:02 AM, scouserl41 said:

Rt 1 is scenic. Small towns, 2 lanes, some traffic. Wonderful road but if you are in a hurry take the Interstate. We did it in our 36' Class A with the toad.

BnB

Thanks - leaning toward going up one way and coming back south the other, just for the variety.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Need to stop and visit Camden, coming or going. Try to avoid Wiscasset, US 1 because there is always a backup in the tourist season, as much as a mile or two. 

Suggestion is to take I295 to US 201, first Gardiner exit, to ME126/201 and turn right over the Kennebec River. Right ast the end of the bridge, now ME 126, ME 27, About 1000 ft turn left on to ME 226, signed for Togus VA (Veterans Administration) . At the end of ME 226 turn right onto ME 17 and you are on your way to Rockland/Camden area. Turn left onto US 1 for continuing to Bar Harbor.

You could extend your time in Maine by visiting Campobello Island, Quoddy Head  Lighthouse, reversing falls in Pembroke etc.

If stopping the north east travel at Bar Harbor then come back south on ME 9. That route will take on a pretty drive, add maybe a half hour, right back to the same bridge you crossed over the Kennebec River going north. Of course you could continue on US 201 unbtil it junctions with I 295 in Topsham.

Enjoy 

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Archived