Most of you probably don't, but

Chuck

Just recently purchased an HDT. Until the time comes for a fifth wheel, I am towing a 29ft travel trailer. Given that the purpose of tow bars is to transfer weight forward on a pickup configuration, is it really necessary to use them when pulling with an HDT?

I have been towing a travel trailers (4 different ones) for over 11 years with my HDT.  Sway bars and / or weight distribution bars are not necessary. An air hitch, however, is highly recommended. AirSafe made the RECEIVER HITCH  that I used for years. I highly recommend it.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

21 hours ago, sdixon747 said:

An air hitch, however, is highly recommended. AirSafe made the RECEIVER HITCH  that I used for years. I highly recommend it.

I also pulled a 38' travel trailer with my HDT, and like Steve said, you don't need weight distribution, but you should have an air hitch.  It really helps the trailer ride better behind the truck.  I bought Steve's AirSafe hitch last year, it worked great for my setup, and it is now for sale.  Please PM me if you are interested in buying it.

Dan & Bree

2010 Freightliner Cascadia 125, DD15, 455hp, UltraShift (Yetti, For Sale)

2015 Grand Design Reflection 308BHTS Travel Trailer (For Sale)

For those that understand the forces involved, I would like to hear opinions about the genyhitch.com, torsion hitches.

I lifted my TT, due to low clearance and off road camping.  I can not find an air ride hitch that would lift the ball the necessary distance to keep the TT level.

Torsion style axles seem like a good idea, how about these hitches?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Gen-Y looks like a good setup. 

Mr AirSafe is 2000lb tongue 20000lb trailer model with bolt on shank/pintle configuration. A hitch point could be set very high on it depending on trailer weight.

I expect there is a design limit to the location of the hitch point due to leverage forces. You could raise the suspension hitch point with a properly designed double receiver drawbar to raise the Gen-y itself.

How high above the earth is your hitch on the trailer?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I will measure the height tonight, but the tongue is higher than stock as I did a spring axle configuration over to provide off road clearance.

The other factor was the height of the hitch on the truck that I built is about an inch or so lower than my Dodge Ram hitch height.

I am currently using a 5 inch aluminum lift hitch. which has the trailer level while traveling. 

The Gen Y hitch can be inverted to be a lift hitch as well as a lowering hitch.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Archived