Need help with Carefree Travel'r awning...

Grassy

Be careful what you wish for.

I wanted a power awning so when we bought this present rig, I was pleased that it had one.

Unfortunately, is is a fixed pitch Travel'r - non a justifiable set up which makes it absolutely useless most of the time.

To make it adjustable, Carefree wants to charge me 1K plus tax/shipping. I can find the parts a bit cheaper on Amazon.

I have heard of ways to make it adjustable but cannot find it on the web.. is there anything else we can do to make this use-able ?

Thanks
Ian. 

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

What model? Possible to add a row of holes to each arm, and use a long 1/4" bolt for pitch adjustment? The factory adjustment is via spring pins, but this might work.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The reason that Carefree wants so much money is because they are going to send you all new arms since the fixed and variable arms are not the same. They do  not make (or at least sell) individual arm parts, only the whole arm unit. 

Why do want the variable pitch? Generally the RV manufacturer fits a unit with an awning that works (i.e., clears the door when extended) and something like that would be a factory option or upgrade. Knowing what I know now of this awning and its design, which I think is very poor structurally (a long story for another thread), I would leave well enough alone until there is a real reason to mess with it as I think you are inviting a structural failure by attempting to modify an already poor design.  

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

It is a Travel'r.

We have owned other rigs with a variable pitch awning..and they work well.  When the only option is a 90 degree slide out, it offers very little protection.

I personally think that my old manual systems were much tougher.. 

I don't want to replace the whole unit now.. just trying to make it more useful.

I have heard there was a mod to make it adjust up to 15~20 degrees..

Here are the parts on amazon..

https://www.amazon.com/Carefree-OV25APHW-Matching-Adjustable-Electric/dp/B0050EFR5E

Thanks..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Look at the pic on the Amazon link. On the black arms, zoom to see the holes in a row, on the bottom end of the arm leaning away from the RV. That's the pitch adjustment holes. Can you add the holes to your arms? 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Look at the pic on the Amazon link. On the black arms, zoom to see the holes in a row, on the bottom end of the arm leaning away from the RV. That's the pitch adjustment holes. Can you add the holes to your arms? 

Zooming in on that same pic you will notice there is an arm within and arm that allows those holes to move and line up which changes the length and thus the pitch. The fixed pitch Travel'r awnings do not have that. That is why you need to replace the entire arm assemblies.

42 minutes ago, Grassy said:

Could always  fab a piece...

As an alternative...has anyone used something like this..  it should have the same effect.. different color of course..

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/climate/patio-rooms-and-tents/patio-rooms-and-tents/dometic-veranda-shade-_-39915

Thanks

Yes, and I will tell you from personal experience that you do not want to use one on a Travel'r. They are hard to get into and out of the extra slot due to the design of the arm ends and you can not easily get the awning up should the need arise (such as the wind coming up). You could consider tying the awning down, thinking that will solve the problem. You could even use tie downs that are spring loaded to handle any gusts once it is tied down. You would then likely discover how the arms are a very poor design, just as I did. Take a look at that pic mentioned above or just look at your awning. Notice the U-shaped cutouts that allow the arm to next over the bolts and pins when it is closed up? That is where your arm is going to break. U-shaped channels whether aluminum or steel are generally very structurally tough. That is why you will see a lot of trailer frames with a C-channel frame member. The webs make the flat part very rigid. Now imagine what happens when you cut out half the web depth or more. It takes little imagination to see that you have just substantially weakened the overall strength. 

Somewhere down the road when we eventually look to another RV it will not have a Travel'r awning on it or we will not buy it. The Dometic electric awning design is much better IMO. 

10 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Zooming in on that same pic you will notice there is an arm within and arm that allows those holes to move and line up which changes the length and thus the pitch. The fixed pitch Travel'r awnings do not have that. That is why you need to replace the entire arm assemblies.

Interesting, I never considered that big of a difference between arms. 

Please e-mail us here.

21 hours ago, Grassy said:

Sounds like I am stuck with what I have. 

I am in the same boat as you...I do not want this one again..

thanks

When I had to have mine repaired, I learned a whole lot about the Travel'r. I almost considered dumping the whole thing and just getting a manual Dometic installed. That turned out to be cost prohibitive even using my existing fabric. However, this thread has been enlightening in that I see I can order two arms for what I paid for one with installation. If the darned thing breaks again I at least know where I will order a part. The actual installation is actually easy I found since I had to fix a misaligned end cap on the awning. 

Archived