Steel or Aluminum Drom box

Brad NSW

Steel or Aluminum Drom box (poll)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Have two quote for drom boxes. Both from builders specilizing in these. Both 6.5' x 6.5' x 20" deep external diensions and same internal shelving and ramp storage arraangements. Please vote on which you would choose. Feel free to comment why. I'll post photos of both fabriators work. Weight is not an issue as I'm staying dual in back

• Steel, white powder coat (no paint) to match cab, $6999
    • 1/8" shiny Aluminum (no diamond plate), $4,280

Both are 6.5' x 6.5' x 20" deep.  Both have same internal shelving arrangements.  Weight is not an issue as I'm staying w/2 rear axles.  Attached are photos of each fabricators work.

539674667_aluminumsample.jpg.9d4cc9b0fa670c703e9d500c9d72d7a2.jpg919071018_SteelDrom.jpg.bfad0bdeaab53c7932d12dc7e92de2c1.jpg

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

I personally would go with the steel powder coated one.  I realize it is more expensive, but not having to keep the aluminum shiny would be worth it to me.  I have never been a chrome and/or aluminum (shiny stuff) guy.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I like the aluminum one. The door opens upward so if you have stuff on your bed you don't have to move it to get the doors open. The steel one looks like it would close tighter because it has 2 doors rather than one big one. So I would probably go with that one. See if they can color match your truck. That would look real nice.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Steel will eventually rust, and need refreshing. Aluminum will stress crack and need to be rewelded. Pick your poison. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Putting the whole aluminum v. steel discussion aside, if you're carrying something which would prevent the doors from opening, the unit with the lifting lid/door could save your bacon, if you need something roadside.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The rust here and there inside steel boxes from the bit of moisture leakage / condensation bugs me. Always has. 

Methyl ethyl ketone wipe down, zinc chromate primer, your fave rattle can color and shazam! 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

When aluminum is that much less expensive than steel I wonder what is missing.

If the openings for the latches hinges were cut/drilled into the steel after painting it will start to rust quickly

2011 Cameo 34SB3

Brad    I like the steel one. The alum will crack/break and the steel one will rust at some point in time. But it will stay together. So which do you like and go with that. With the savings with the steel one you can buy a lot of spray paint cans. Did you get a chance to send me a email? Hope everything is going good on your coast. Take care and let me know when you are back out here.    Pat

The Old Sailor

If you go aluminum, have it painted, lined, something done to the inside before you put stuff into it.  I have all Aluminum boxes and yes, can be fancy on the outside, the inside is a screaming since anything rubbing against the ali turns black and transfers onto everything else.  What ever you do, Do not get diamond plate on the inside, it tears through everything also.

We pick up new flat bed trailers at all of the major manufacturers. If the customer who orders them really options them out, the overwhelming choice is for aluminum tool boxes. Once in a while you will see some steel boxes. Those go to the leasing companies like Penske, Xtra Lease and the like 

Now, lets fast forward to the used trailers we move around. If they have steel boxes, they are the first thing to get cut off the trailer because they are ugly, rusty and useless.  Unless the aluminum boxes have been abused( dented, doors left open and racked etc.) they are still serviceable. 

In the transportation biz, steel trailers are the cheaper lines, the more aluminum, the higher the quality and resale value. I don't know if I have ever seen an enclosed headache rack (which is about what you have pictured) made of steel. the overwhelming choice would be aluminum. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

You have many choices out there. Enclosed headache racks are very common and are made by dozens of companies, both in stock form, partially custom or full custom. 

Here is one of the most common stock manufacturers

http://merrittproducts.com/aluminum-products/cab-racks-cabinet-cr

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Thanks everyone for the input!!  

Both fabricators are great to work with and they discussed pro/cons, the things they do to mitigate each materials unique problems. 

I've finally opted for the aluminum Drom.

I will cover all shelves and the bottom with this: rubber diamond plate roll, to  keep things from sliding around.

Interior walls will get a painted rubber coating to avoid the black graphite like powder that Pug referenced.  Had this powder all over the interior of my aluminum tool box on my 3500, till I lined it.

Not sure how I'm going to like the shiny aluminum "look", but we'll see.  My aluminum toolbox looked good on my white 3500 but it had a diamond plate finish.

One convenient thing for the aluminum dorm...they ship and will offload it onto my truck bed.  $285 (Central Oregon to San Diego).

We should get their CAD design in a week or so, for final review/approval.

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

Archived