Key Fob

We need to get a key fob for our 2001 Toyota Sienna, will probably buy 2. We need to be educated in key fobs. Does it matter which one we buy since they get programmed to the frequency of the car? Amazon has some that say they are for 2001 Toyota Sienna, better to buy that one? Can we just go to ACE and get one? Where else can we buy them, not the dealer...............

This is all the unknown to us.

Thanks all...........

I ordered a couple of fobs for our Ford Truck off of Amazon a few years back. They were pretty inexpensive and didn't work reliably. They programmed fine but didn't seem to "hold" the program for more than a day or so. Obviously not the best situation!

I ended up using the outer housings and the new batteries but transferred the circuit over from my old fobs. That combination is still working well for us. 

So I think you are rolling the dice with "generic" fobs off of the internet. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

A local locksmith made them for us and work perfectly.  I don't recall the cost but at the time I was scouring the internet and  he seemed inline to others.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

9 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

I'm confused.  I thought you wanted a key fob.  I didn't think a valet key was a key fob.

The valet key has to be chipped and programmed to be able to start the car with the ignition switch just like a standard key/fob. The only function it lacks is the ability to unlock the lockable storage compartments like the glove box, and does not have the remote lock/unlock, etc. button functions.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We just stopped at ACE and they can't find a FOB for our 2001 Toyota and suggested a dealer. Other people in line made the comments that the cost at a dealer would be $400-$600, both had gone this route. Guess I will order one from Amazon and hope. If it doesn't work I guess we will live with one FOB.

We got key fobs for our 2004 Subaru from Amazon.  Work just fine.  If it is just the body that has broken, you can get new shells.  We transferred the 'contents' from one FOB into a new shell as that was all that was needed.   The other we just needed to program to the car and it works fine.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The innards are broken, life is never easy. We were at Autozone and saw behind the counter universal key fobs. He said they work fine so we bought one(can always return). The Universal doesn't support our sliding door but that stopped working years ago.  Well worth our time and $25 if it works.

Next step is to read the programming directions. Hope they are easy.

I called Autozone as I really wanted a local place for easy return. A generic was available for $24.99 and returnable. Went and bought it. After a few false starts(called I can't read) the FOB was programmed and working.........

Archived