Convert manual landing gear to electric

jenandjon

I have an older 5th wheel with the manual hand crank jacks. I would like to convert it to electric. Has anyone done this just by installing an electric motor to the existing landing gear?

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

17 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

I have an older 5th wheel with the manual hand crank jacks. I would like to convert it to electric. Has anyone done this just by installing an electric motor to the existing landing gear?

This might help :

41EO9As5iSL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I know it's likely not exactly what you had in mind , but it definitely speeds the process . 

That Is one of the better ones , but they came in lesser qualities also .

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW059K-2-18-Volt-2-inch-Cordless/dp/B0001LQLE2

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

I did use a drill for a while but I burned it up. I was wondering if there was a kit to install a motor where the crank handle goes.

Sure, order a 12VDC motor that is intended to be used in that application, as you would order a spare.  The a couple of sprockets and some chain, a fuse protected power source to a switch, and that should do it.

I've even seen these motors on CL sometimes.

Marcel

4 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Sure, order a 12VDC motor that is intended to be used in that application, as you would order a spare.  The a couple of sprockets and some chain, a fuse protected power source to a switch, and that should do it.

I've even seen these motors on CL sometimes.

Might have to change that to 4 .  Or , however many jacks are involved . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• 2 years later...

We just purchased a 30'  1996 Innsbruck by Gulf Stream.. real nice 5th wheel that has been wel kept.. the only drawback is it's a manual crank for lowering and raising the front legs.   I see Amazon has motors and gear boxes for 5th wheels. can anyone point me as to which ones if any will work on my unit.  thanks in advance

On 7/14/2018 at 8:18 AM, noteven said:

Don’t run any landing gear or stabilizer jacks to the end of the thread/travel with your cordless driver going in road gear. Owie to wrists can occur. 

Signed Test Dummy 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Our Newmar had motors with gearboxes on each leg.  The motor/box is available separately.  There are a couple different manufacturers.  See what brand you jacks are and google the parts.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Fab-Products-17943010-Electric-Landing/dp/B0033XXXG4      That's what is on my Teton. They are 5k each. Would have to build some brackets for them. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2020 at 6:34 AM, ARGO said:

How about a battery impact gun, & adapt the crank to it with a socket, etc

DO NOT use an impact. The roll pins on the jacks do not like the chatter. I used a drill to run them down to the ground. Then hand crank.

I know this is an old thread,

I was going to use a tarp motor to open the ramp door on my trailer, I didn't because I need a clutch release.    These tarp motors and a sprocket/chain set up would work well on a hand crank conversion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-HP-50-1-Gear-Ratio-12V-Apache-Slim-Universal-Dump-Truck-Tarping-System-Motor/401779538886?hash=item5d8bed3bc6:g:wyAAAOSwCYFc9USp

Edited by Steve from SoCal

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

9 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I know this is an old thread,

I was going to use a tarp motor to open the ramp door on my trailer, I didn't because I need a clutch release.    These tarp motors and a sprocket/chain set up would work well on a hand crank conversion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-HP-50-1-Gear-Ratio-12V-Apache-Slim-Universal-Dump-Truck-Tarping-System-Motor/401779538886?hash=item5d8bed3bc6:g:wyAAAOSwCYFc9USp

Steve,. Keep us all posted on this.  If it works, take pix of what you did.  I've been thinking about doing this for a while but never could in mind get it straight on how to get started.

Thanks

Ben "chief916"