Rv Insurance Recommendations???

nunativs

My wife and I have been fulltime Rvers with a diesel van pulling a travel trailer for about 3 years so far. When we began we insured both through AIS who signed us up with National Vanliner Interstate. The van and the RV were insured separately, it was very confusing as I'm allergic to such things. Recently, they informed us that the RV policy is no longer available and want us to switch that to a company called SafeCo?

Basically we are looking for alternatives to our present carrier(s). We want coverage for the van, then a fulltimer policy for the Trailer. Hopefully, the coverage would be combined under one roof and one payment monthly to keep it simple. We already have tow coverage through CoachNet.

Our questions is who can you recommend we investigate that is working for you all out there with similar circumstances. Thanks for any and all help and/or leads!

Ken

Does Safeco offer fulltimers insuance??

I know of no companies that will combine both RV and auto insurance into one policy...two separate policies, two separate payments.  If you do find such a company, let us know.

I used Miller Insurance, an insurance agency specializing in RV insurance and who works with many different insurance companies.  They currently have us with Nationwide for the RV.

Although Miller Insurance also offers auto insurance, in our case, we have our auto insurance with State Farm because we also have an umbrella policy with them, and it's cheaper to continue with them than it is to switch insurance companies for the car and get a different, higher priced, umbrella policy with someone else.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I used AIS for insurance for all of the years that we were fulltime and only shifted to a local agent once we bought a home-base again. There are several other agencies that specialize in handling insurance for the fulltime RV folks so you may want to speak with some others. 

RV Advantage      Miller Insurance       Foremost Insurance      

2 hours ago, nunativs said:

Hopefully, the coverage would be combined under one roof and one payment monthly to keep it simple.

In all of our years of insurance on vehicles and RVs, I can't remember ever having a single policy on both, even when both were covered by the same underwriter. At present we have both with a local agent who for reasons of best price for the needed coverage has our policies with two different companies. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have been most disappointed with my agent, Explorer Insurance and National Interstate Insurance.  I have been with them for the nine years we have been fulltimers. My RV and auto policies are up in September, and I too recently received notice that they would no longer offer RV insurance and recommended SafeCo.  SafeCo doesn't offer fulltimer's policies.  My Explorer agent told me that NO companies would offer this coverage in the future . . . casting me to the wolves.  I know that other companies will offer this coverage . . . the question now is who will offer me the best coverage.  We, as fulltimers, have long claimed Rainbow Dr. as our domicile address.  Looking for some help here.  

oRV

75065 Lifetime Member

2010 Phaeton 40 QTH

2014 Honda CR-V Toad

14 hours ago, Orvil Hazelton said:

My Explorer agent told me that NO companies would offer this coverage in the future . . .

If this is true, what is the fulltimer to do about insurance on his or her RV?!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, nunativs said:

Thanks everyone for the responses thus far, wow, we are as confused as ever. Unfortunately out policy expires on the 27th of July so we have to figure out something fast...

Does anyone have any feedback on Good Sam?

We have had both Good Sams (National) and Progressive in the past for our RV insurance.  Also have had auto and motorcycle policies with Progressive.  Had on claim with Progressive but it was minor and not on the RV policy so I can't help you there.

I would call Miller, Good Sams, Progressive, and Geico.  Talk to all of them about regular RV insurance and full time RV insurance.  You may find it is better to put together a regular RV policy with some type of additional umbrella liability policy.  At any rate it will take some phone calls and conversations.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

3 minutes ago, FL-JOE said:

I would call Miller, Good Sams, Progressive, and Geico.

Miller Insurance is an insurance agent while Good Sam is also. The other two are insurance underwriters as is Foremost Insurance. I know that Miller can write insurance for Progressive and several other companies, as does Good Sam and several other agents.

38 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Miller Insurance is an insurance agent while Good Sam is also. The other two are insurance underwriters as is Foremost Insurance. I know that Miller can write insurance for Progressive and several other companies, as does Good Sam and several other agents.

This is true.  However you do not want to just call an Agency like Miller and get quotes for several companies and think you have made good comparisons.  A quote from them for Progressive for example could be a totally different price than a quote you may get by going direct with them either in person or online.  

I would still call the top 3 or 4 that almost everyone uses, no matter if it is the actual company or general underwriting agents, and get their best shot.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

3 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

I would still call the top 3 or 4 that almost everyone uses, no matter if it is the actual company or general underwriting agents, and get their best shot.

Agreed. And Foremost isn't an agent but direct sales.

Our coach has been insured by Foremost Insurance Company for 18 years and we've been extremely satisfied with their service.  My current annual premium is $838 for full coverage with $250 deductible.  It also includes towing and roadside assistance.

Good luck with your choice of an insurance company and safe travels  

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

Archived