Dog License

tktoth

We are full time using our Escapees mail address as our permanent address, but mainly stay in Houston for the winter, and Ohio for the summer.

We are going to be getting a dog and wonder what others with similar situations do about licensing their dog, or just don’t don’t?

I rescued my dog before I went full time and got her dog licence in my home town. I make sure her vacinations are up to date as I travel but I don't have a current updated dog license. The licence is just to make sure that shots are up to date so as long as I am within the intent of the law and not the letter of the law I am good with it.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Compliance with dog licenses is marginal everywhere I've lived.  Never bought a license for any of my dogs and never been asked for one.  Some locations don't even have dog licenses.  I would only worry when in Polk County (your domicile), if it has a dog license.  Otherwise, when outside the County, there shouldn't be an issue once you show that you are not a resident of the county.  

As mentioned, keeping vaccinations current is what you should worry about.  Make sure you have those records in the RV and it's usually good to just have that rabies tag on their collar.

We never licensed our dog when we were fulltimers.  Now that we have a sticks & bricks, we do license our dogs. 

However, the licence is not connected to any vaccinations...at least where we live.  Which is good since we do not vaccinate our dogs each year.  After their puppy shots, we have titers done every 3 years.  We won't have them vaccinated again until, or unless, the titers are low.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We never licensed our dog but did make sure that her shots were all current and that we had a current health record from her vet and that it included her photo on it as well as her chip number. We have used that crossing the border to Canada on several occasions and also once or twice in RV parks. She always has her current rabies tag attached to her collar also and it has our cell phone number on the back.

We never did get her a dog license from Polk County but probably it would be the legal thing to do as if she were to stray and be picked up somewhere that license would probably make her legal. You can get the form for a Polk County Dog License from this link. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 hours ago, tktoth said:

We are full time using our Escapees mail address as our permanent address, but mainly stay in Houston for the winter, and Ohio for the summer.

We are going to be getting a dog and wonder what others with similar situations do about licensing their dog, or just don’t don’t?

As has been said, dog licenses are a local issue. Many municipalities and counties require a dog license if the dog is in their jurisdiction for more than a specific length of time. The longer you stay in an area, the greater the chance that you may be asked for license. As mentioned, if your dog gets loose or there is an incident where animal control becomes involved; you may be asked for the current license if there is a requirement for one.

We have lived in communities where animal control does neighborhood surveys. They have a list of who purchased licenses and check that against properties where they see or see evidence of a dog. I have hunting dogs. Some states require that dogs in the field be licensed and vaccinated for rabies. I have had Game Wardens ask me for the dogs' licenses and proof of vaccination.

Veterinarians in some states that require proof of rabies vaccination do not issue rabies tags as the dog license is proof of vaccination. I always carry a copy of the rabies certificate where ever I take the dogs. The license tag is on their collar.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

• 1 month later...

in all my years. and decades or having a dog. never been asked for anything about them by any leo or dog catcher, other .

but the license could only be obtained after proving rabies shots.  in some ares it is also wise to get a snake shot as well. sad only good for dogs not humans.

i tried to alwasy keep up on there shots and health, never carried any paperwork to prove it. but how i kept my dogs kinda went as proof that i kept them well.  but then there is always a barney out there to wreck your day just so he can be your better.

be safe travel under blue skys. and love your pets. try to be at least 1/2 of what they think of you.

• 1 month later...

Just went to the license link.....& discovered there's a Polk County in Oregon too.  lol

Linda, Larry, & the Hooligan Shelties

Hope to be FT in 2012 in 5th Wheel

LOL...We sure took the slow track!  Been enjoying retirement as volunteers with Frank Lloyd Wright in Oak Park & Kline Creek Farm living history farm in West Chicago.   But now its time to get this show on the road.   ETD: 1st quarter 2019!

There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

When full timing we didn't license our dogs. In our S & B's I always do because it helps support the dog catchers and local  shelters. I totally support their thankless jobs and will do whatever I can to help them.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

12 hours ago, Vladimir said:

Wow...a dog license!!

What will they think of next...cat license?? Hamster license?? Goldfish license??

Actually, I know that in some communities it is a pet license and if the city animal control picks up a pet it must have a license as part of owner retrieval. I do know someone who had that experience when their cat was picked up. If you ever allow that goldfish outside when not on a leash you probably should license it. Not sure about the rabies shots though... ?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived