Opinions On Interior Cellular Temperature Monitors For Pets

Tucsontech

I have been looking for a remote monitoring system for the RV as we sometimes leave our dog behind.

We have read about the Homeminder by Minder Research but the independent reviews were a bit negative. Does anybody have one of these that could share some opinions?

Also have seen some information about the Temp Stick and also the Nimble but haven't formed any conclusions in case somebody has any opinions on these too.

This  becomes a more important topic as we get into the summer months.

Any new leads would be greatly appreciated.

23 hours ago, jcussen said:

If you have wifi in coach.  https://ambientweather.net/

THIS model looks interesting for monitoring the temp inside and it's extremely affordable if you don't want/need all that other stuff. There is even a cheaper model. The only issue is if the power goes out, then so does your wifi.

EDIT: There is another thread about this same thing...lots of good ideas there. 

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

THIS model looks interesting for monitoring the temp inside and it's extremely affordable if you don't want/need all that other stuff. There is even a cheaper model. The only issue is if the power goes out, then so does your wifi.

EDIT: There is another thread about this same thing...lots of good ideas there. 

Requires Wifi, right?  I wasn't sure if they had reliable wifi available.

24 minutes ago, jpcoll01 said:

Requires Wifi, right?  I wasn't sure if they had reliable wifi available.

The only issue is if the power goes out, then so does your wifi." 

I'm not sure if they do either and as I pointed out...if the power goes off so does the wifi. jcussen mentioned that when he posted the original link to the brand also.

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

My wifi is via a hotspot device which has a battery which will last about eight hours without power.  A conventional router could be used on an ups (uninterrupted power supply) for hours if power went out.

Just saying it is doable on wifi without shore power.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I have a Verizon wireless router with 4g and voice that is battery powered when the power goes off also, so that would work for me. The other thread has a plug in cellular monitor that sounded interesting. That would be much easier to configure, I would think but requires a monthly fee. Of course that is also dependent on a cellular signal. I guess nothing is 100%. 

2014 smart Fortwo

• 7 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 11:39 AM, Tucsontech said:

I have been looking for a remote monitoring system for the RV as we sometimes leave our dog behind.

We have read about the Homeminder by Minder Research but the independent reviews were a bit negative. Does anybody have one of these that could share some opinions?

Also have seen some information about the Temp Stick and also the Nimble but haven't formed any conclusions in case somebody has any opinions on these too.

This  becomes a more important topic as we get into the summer months.

Any new leads would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using a product called rvpetsafety for the last 8 months. This device can monitor real-time temperature and sends alert to your mobile/email using the cellular connection. It takes care of my pet. The features of this device are awesome. I suggest you try this device https://rvpetsafety.com

26 minutes ago, ARGO said:

I looked at the petsafety thing. Expensive, and the monitoring adds up. I'm going to buy Temp Stick for $139 & NO monthly fee.

I have one of these.  Works quite well with WiFi and only $75:  https://smile.amazon.com/MINGER-Temperature-Humidity-Hygrometer-Thermometer/dp/B07FBCTQ3L/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1551190514&sr=8-3&keywords=govee+thermometer%2Fhygrometer

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, Currently I'm using RVPetSafety But their new product 4G device is available in the market now with additional features. Before you go for it check its features, But temp stick has no true real-time reporting. The shortest interval for readings is 5 minutes and you can not check the power status of your RV it also requires a mobile hotspot device. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the MarCell and so far very happy with it and easy to use. I have it in my house for now. Its kind of silly because it really never gets hot or cold where I live. I have a feeling the MarCell will work great in the van when we have full hookups, dry camping we don't need it. I did create a power failure and our phones went off with text messages and emails saying Alert: Power is currently OFF and when the power was restored I got an alert power is restored.

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2019 at 11:11 AM, jean_rockyroad said:

I bought the MarCell and so far very happy with it and easy to use. I have it in my house for now. Its kind of silly because it really never gets hot or cold where I live. I have a feeling the MarCell will work great in the van when we have full hookups, dry camping we don't need it. I did create a power failure and our phones went off with text messages and emails saying Alert: Power is currently OFF and when the power was restored I got an alert power is restored.

Previously I had used MarCell but now I'm using RV PetSafety, this product is to secure a dogs by monitoring the temperature level that we set in the app. The temperature level exceeds our device will alert you through Mail/message. It's a chargeable device and the battery backup is 2days and GPS tracker is available, so this will help to find your dog in which circle. This is powered by cellular so no need Wi-Fi and RV PetSafety App is available we can control over through this app. Comparing to MarCell RV PetSafety is easy to use and more secured. I'm happy on RV PetSafety.

• 4 weeks later...

Kind of late to the game so to speak, but just read this original thread.

If your RV is equipped with a generator then the most reliable way to ensure your pets safety IMHO is to install a AGS system. My coach came with this system so I am not sure what would be involved but I wouldn't think it would be too expensive to have installed.

You can set the AGS (automatic generator system) to start your generator when your house batteries get down to a certain level and/or when the inside temperature of your RV gets to a certain point.  We don't travel with pets so I keep mine set to come on when my batteries drop to a certain point.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

• 4 months later...

Reviving this thread.  I’ve been looking at quite a few different ones but just settled on the Motorola MC4000.  The feature that I really liked was the fact that it monitors temperature and AC power as well, so even with a total power failure it’s got a battery backup that still allows it to send a message.  I’ve been testing it and everything works as advertised.

• 7 months later...
On 10/6/2019 at 1:21 AM, Jim1521 said:

Reviving this thread.  I’ve been looking at quite a few different ones but just settled on the Motorola MC4000.  The feature that I really liked was the fact that it monitors temperature and AC power as well, so even with a total power failure it’s got a battery backup that still allows it to send a message.  I’ve been testing it and everything works as advertised.

if I have wifi do I need to pay monthly fee

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I searched and found another unit called the Marcell https://www.meetmarcell.com/who-we-help/ it's a similar item and according to one reviewer may be less expensive over the long run for full time RV'ers. 

I do not have and am not planning to purchase either at this time. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We have been using the Marcell for the past 7 years and it works fine,  We had to upgrade the unit from 3G to 4G and they worked with me on the upgrade.  Been very hand know when the power was out at the RV when we were out and can check the temperature if needed.  You just have make sure you out on a non-inverter fed power circuit.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot