Need urgent help to extend temporary permit

We (unexpectedly) had to purchase a replacement RV in Pennsylvania during a long-planned 6-month trip to the East Coast. The dealer issued a 60-day temporary permit. We applied for registration/permanent plates from California DMV, then resumed our travels. DMV is notoriously backlogged and cannot mail the plates before the temporary permit expires. We pleaded with the dealer, Pennsylvania DOT, and California DMV, but all claim they are prohibited from extending our temporary permit (although we've heard other dealers and states do so). What's worse, we are currently in the Canadian Maritime Provinces and the permit expires before we are scheduled to return to the US. Can anyone help us stay legal?

There's more to see than can ever be seen

More to do than can ever be done

I think if you get stopped and show sales info and insurance and tell them you have not received permanent plates you should be fine

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

A couple of things come to mind:

1) Can a friend stop in at CA DMV and pick up the plates?

2) Put your old ones on the rig for  now

3) Fly back to CA and pick them up

4) If you have documentation that CA is the problem just carry that with you if you are stopped.

5) Pop back into the states and register the rig in whatever state(I think you can do that). Extra $$ but peace of mind.

40 minutes ago, SWharton said:

A couple of things come to mind:

1) Can a friend stop in at CA DMV and pick up the plates?

2) Put your old ones on the rig for  now

3) Fly back to CA and pick them up

4) If you have documentation that CA is the problem just carry that with you if you are stopped.

5) Pop back into the states and register the rig in whatever state(I think you can do that). Extra $$ but peace of mind.

Thanks for the brainstorming! Picking them up isn't the problem (my sister will overnight them to us) -- they won't be processed in time. Don't have the old plates, but I'd be worried that's even more illegal. I do have copies of all the paperwork showing I applied for registration in May, and I hope that's sufficient. I'll check, but I'm pretty sure you can't get a permit unless you purchased the RV there or live there. Plus I think they original paperwork and it's all in CA. But I appreciate the ideas.

I guess I am spoilt by VA and TX.  Didn't realize it was so difficult in CA. I feel as long as you have supporting documentation you should be fine.

Once we drove from Oregon to VA with illegal plates, we didn't know it. The state we came from before VA the person owned the plates and in VA the plates were suppose to go with the vehicle. 

And some states you keep personalized plates, otherwise they go with the vehicle. Both CA and PA seem to have very rigid rules. The guy at PennDOT even chewed us out for traveling instead of returning to CA. Wish we'd bought in VA or TX.

9 hours ago, SWharton said:

You need an address in the chosen state in order to register a vehicle there. I know of no state that does not have that requirement.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

You could use your campground address I would think.

Not only is that less than legal, it would also mean paying that state's sales tax and any vehicle registration fees on the RV. While you might get by with doing that, it could be very expensive. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived