Quartzsite, RV parks, big rigs, wife retiring.

mr. cob

Howdy!

Dave, you have the right idea about Quarszite. Find you a RV park and then start visiting around the area. You can learn a lot just by watching others go to the water and dump stations in town and especially at the ones at the Long Term BLM. Most folks will be glad to share their experiences boondocking in the area. The traffic does get bad during the Big Tent time period and can back up for miles on 95.  Take you time and enjoy the experience of Q.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Howdy All,

Thanks to all for the information you folks have been a great help to me in getting an idea of what to do where to stay and when to go.  I am sure this thread is being watched by others who also have questions and are wanting to learn about the area please continue with your advice.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

9 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Thanks to all for the information you folks have been a great help to me in getting an idea of what to do where to stay and when to go.  I am sure this thread is being watched by others who also have questions and are wanting to learn about the area please continue with your advice.

Dave

👍

I know I am. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

46 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

I read some time back that Slab City is in peril.  It may not be around much longer.  Any one else know anything?

I've read the same thing, but I don't know what the current status is.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Just googled it slab city is still in operation. We were there about 6 years ago. We took a look  with the truck and left the Montana at a campground. We had Heard from other Rv'ers what it was like and it was actually far worse. However it is one of those things and places that should bo on every Rv'rs   list to see..... at least once.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Dave

Very surprised nobody mentioned Silly Al`s Pizza . You will be right at home on the Ural.

X2 on Quail Run. They have sights  big enough for you as you enter off 95. Closer to the road vs. interior sights.

Caution for January reservations as everybody fills up for the month.   E.P.                                                                                                                                                

On 7/1/2018 at 1:43 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I thought I would throw this up here and see if anyone can offer any suggestions.  For tax purposes Donna, has decided to work next school year until December and then retire.  That means for the first time the two of us will be able to travel during the winter months.  I have heard so much about Quartzsite, I have read many web sites, watched tons of youtube videos but don't know anyone who has actually been there.  I am thinking that before we drive down there and look for a BLM boondocking site that it might be better to stay for a couple of weeks in an RV Park and use the Smart Car to do some scouting rather then risk going someplace I should never have gone with the full rig.  I have read many reviews on the camp grounds, RV Parks in the Quartzsite area and they range from awful to OK but none of them seem to stand out as being big rig friendly, reasonably priced and a place you would enjoy staying.

And so my question, to those of you who have been there, can you recommend an RV Park that you would stay at again, those you would avoid and things in general to be aware of for folks like us who have NEVER been there but want to see what its all about.  Thanks.  Oh the time frame I have in mind is February to maybe early March, that is flexible and open to suggestion.

Dave

Morning Dave,

We tend to just pass thru the Q a few times during the winter but seldom stay since for the most part Horses are not allowed in the area....

BLM has funny regs when it comes to camping with horses in some places......

If you wonder down Hyw 95 out of the NWet you might consider stopping for a spell at our huvel-one-horse-camp at Last Chance Peak just inside the Nevada state line from Death Valley.   As I seem to recall you had a few Ural scooter rides in Death Valley......Last Chance Peak is somewhat like Death Valley but a bit higher that the valley floor at 2,600 ft elev.  We have cools night in the winter but often have doors and windows open at 10 AM.

We have BLM 4 x 4 trails right out our gate so a scooter ride is just a kick start and go......

We have water and elec and Pahrump Wallys is 12 miles South and the new VA clinic is 11 miles South if you need MD-abuse......

IF our hillbilly ways offend you ......you might sneak down 12 miles South and hang out with Vegas Flyer when he is working in Vegas....

IF John let Vegas Teacher spend the night at his place then he would let anyone camp there.........best contact him in a PM to invite yourself first.......

Pahrump to the South of our camp is chocked FULL of Nam-Vets so it's likely that some of the guys you meet in town you still owe money to but its likely that they have forgot by now.......

IF you get a little frustrated you could wonder 20 Miles South to Front Sight gun range and shoot off a few thousand rounds at the largest private gun slinging range in North America......so claimed....

Anyhow........our Hillbilly-horse-camp might be a proper transition down the RV camp quality range to prepare you for the level (or sublevel) of the "Quartzite-life"........

Last Chance Peak got its name before we arrived but we try to keep name true ..........but it is very serene and the stars are so bright that some nights you might want to look at them thru your welding hood.

We have a local herd of wild donkeys and a scorpion in the yard bigger than a Lobster but he keeps the rattlesnakes mostly out of the yard.........hey its the desert right.

One nice thing about going to town........almost everyone in town is carrying a shootn-iron on their hip so very little road rage in town since everyone knows the other guy has "heat" also.......we carry a water bottle instead of a pistol since water is likely to save your hide better than a pistol in the hood......

Anyhow IF you feel a bit like slumming drop by and see how the lower half lives........

Cheers,

Drive on.........(Dont pet the yard critters......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

3 hours ago, noteven said:

Mr. cob

Ahahahahaha - DT hasn’t met us yet Mr. cob....,

I resemble that remark.............

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

16 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I resemble that remark.............

Ya gotta feel sorry for this "Remark" guy if he resembles you Rickoo,,,,,,,,,,

Drive on.........(who is........re mark?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

9 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Ya gotta feel sorry for this "Remark" guy if he resembles you Rickoo,,,,,,,,,,

Drive on.........(who is........re mark?)

So, I'm old, bald, and short for my weight, and can see Kentucky from our farm.  Other than that, pretty average.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

So, I'm old, bald, and short for my weight, and can see Kentucky from our farm.  Other than that, pretty average.

So........witch is ....you?........ pretty?.....0r....... average?

Maybe you been. Sneak'n over that Ktuky line an nippin at that shine a bit often?

Heck we can't even see the mail box at our farm......

Drive on........(Rickoo might be more average than...... pretty)

Archived