Hitch - Rock and Roll side to side

PaHunter

Guys,

We upgraded to the HDT in May, and are pulling our 43 ft fifth wheel with it. I noticed when towing that the trailer seems to rock side to side more than it used to. The hitch is by Hitchcrafter, and is a 32K hitch.  I wonder if the air bags are too big or stiff for our trailer. Our pin weight is on the lower side, maybe 3K. The trailer has a max weight of 15.5K.

Ideas ? Suggestions ? Yes I know Henry makes a great hitch, but that is not in the budget right now.

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

I pulled the same 40' trailer with my HDT as I did with my 1 ton with the same hitch.  I did notice more movement with the HDT.  I'm wondering if its because of the larger mirrors and I see more of the trailer with the HDT.  Or is it from the air ride suspension?????

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

9 hours ago, dennisvr said:

I'm wondering if its because of the larger mirrors and I see more of the trailer with the HDT. 

I think you've nailed it.  Bigger mirrors and positioned so that you see more of the trailer, not just the bottom.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I mean during towing I noticed that the rear does not bounce like it did when hooked to the one ton.  Just takes some getting used to seeing in rolling back there in the mirror. Of course with the mirrors being bigger and sitting higher than the one ton, see the whole trailer, not just part of it.

Thank you for all the replies and reassurance that what I am seeing is normal.

1 hour ago, PaHunter said:

I mean during towing I noticed that the rear does not bounce like it did when hooked to the one ton.  Just takes some getting used to seeing in rolling back there in the mirror. Of course with the mirrors being bigger and sitting higher than the one ton, see the whole trailer, not just part of it.

Thank you for all the replies and reassurance that what I am seeing is normal.

Since the sides of the truck are large and very visible, it make the trailer look like it moves more than before.  You now have visible references where you did not with the pickup.  Does the hitch have the multi-pivot head ?

1 hour ago, Pug said:

Since the sides of the truck are large and very visible, it make the trailer look like it moves more than before.  You now have visible references where you did not with the pickup.  Does the hitch have the multi-pivot head ?

It is a Hitchcrafter air ride hitch, it uses the binkley head. And yes the line of the cab is very visible and gives a big reference to movement. Just have to get used to ignoring it. Even after the trip to Alabama from PA it still shocks me.

4 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Air ride cab is also moving, relative to trailer walls. Air ride seat, also in motion. 

The explains it the best in my opinion.  The truck cab is moving differently than the truck frame that the hitch is attached too.  Then add the airbag movement and the Binkley head that moves side to side.  In the very beginning of owning our truck, I had a guy chase me out of campground on his golf cart thinking the trailer was separated from the truck.  I had gone over a speed bump and he saw the trailer moving independently of the truck.  He thought I hadn't closed the hitch and was dropping it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived