Time For A New TRuck

Traded in my 2006 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9 diesel with 196,790 miles for a brandie new 2018 RAM 2500 with 6.4L gasser and 12 miles!

Only have 83 miles on it so far.

Will be leaving on a long trip as soon as it has had 500 break in miles and I can start towing. Massachusetts to Oshkosh, WI.

Will be interesting to compare the 5.9 to the 6.4 during this trip.

Initial Observations:

RIDE....Not even close, this new truck is a "cadillac" ride. Even though it has nearly 1000 pounds more payload, these new coil springs really soak up the bumps

NOISE....Very strange after 12 years in a diesel...."Has the engine stalled?"..."Is this thing still running!"

POWER.....No comparison. The diesel was a beast. Ate 5.0 Mustangs for breakfast. Never down shifted. Want to pass someone. Step on the peddle, spool up turbo and ZOOOOM! The 6.4L uses its transmission. Hills take 6-5 downshift without towing (373 axle). Simply no substitute for a diesel. But I knew this.....

ROOM....Parked next to my old truck, my 2006 looked like a compact pick-up! The rear seat room in the new truck is amazing. The number of storage compartments is bordering on ridiculous. Even has two coolers in the rear floor!

MPG.....Way to early to tell, but the dash indicator is reading 18.5 average. Where I live, GAS is $2.99 a gallon and Diesel is $3.49. With a 30 gallon tank, I put $15.00 in my pocket at every fill up. My 2006 diesel averaged 16 MPG not towing and 12mpg towing. We'll see how this plays out.

AMMENITIES... My 2006 was a "FARM TRUCK"....Rubber floor mats, manual crank windows, no power door locks, no cruise...(I added all these features as aftermarket)....This new truck is a "Cowboy Cadillac"!.....All kinds of stuff to play with while barreling down the highway at 14,000 pounds and 70 mph!....Even has carpet!

Stay tuned for more updates as time allows......

Wish me luck!

2018dodge-vi.jpg

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

1 hour ago, rbertalotto said:

MPG.....Way to early to tell, but the dash indicator is reading 18.5 average. Where I live, GAS is $2.99 a gallon and Diesel is $3.49. With a 30 gallon tank, I put $15.00 in my pocket at every fill up. My 2006 diesel averaged 16 MPG not towing and 12mpg towing. We'll see how this plays out.

First of all, don't believe that mpg computer unless you figure it the old fashioned way several times to check for accuracy. Most of those things are far more generous than reality. 

I'll be anxiously waiting to hear what you get when you start to tow. We towed with a 2009 gas SUV that got 22 mpg not towing and when towing it averaged 11 mpg. We then went to a 2003 Dodge, diesel, 2500 which gets about 18 mpg when on the highway and not towing and when towing our same travel trailer it gets 15 - 16 mpg.

Since my Dodge only has 120k miles, I'll not be trading it for some time but a neighbor traded his 2004 Dodge, 2500 diesel for a new 2017 Dodge, 2500 gas and is still complaining about the poor fuel mileage! Hope that yours does better.  

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived