Hwy 95 Coeur de'Alene to McCall

Barry

We've driven it quite a few times with our 40' MH.  You'll have Lewiston Hill just north of Lewiston.  You'll have 7% downhill  for approx. 6 miles w/3 runaway truck ramps.

Then you'll have White Bird Hill south of Grangeville. You'll again have 7% grade downhill for 8 miles with 3 runaway truck ramps.

North of Weiser, ID there is a 2 mile 6% southbound descent. Near Council there is 2 miles of 5-6%.

This highway is very doable for RVs and it's a popular route. Just take your time and get in low gear before heading down.  It's a beautiful drive!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are happy to have you join us.

8 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

You'll have 7% downhill  for approx. 6 miles w/3 runaway truck ramps.

Then you'll have White Bird Hill south of Grangeville. You'll again have 7% grade downhill for 8 miles with 3 runaway truck ramps.

North of Weiser, ID there is a 2 mile 6% southbound descent. Near Council there is 2 miles of 5-6%.

We drove it to Boise and very much agree with this assessment. We did so in a 36' gasoline powered coach while towing a Honda CR-V. You need to travel slowly but it can be done safely. Just take your time and stay calm. For a diesel, it would be good to have a compression brake. Just gear down at the top and watch that tachometer to keep RPM's at a safe level, breaking down fairly hard to under the limit and then allowing a slow increase. It isn't a route for one who is frightened by mountain driving, but if you are not in a rush and are comfortable with mountain driving then I would recommend the route. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks everyone. That's all good advice and totally answers my question.  My diesel does have a very good exhaust brake and mountain driving is no problem for us.  I just wanted to make sure it was doable.  Based on your responses we'll give it a go. Thanks again.

Archived