Sign in to follow this  
SuiteSuccess

Xantrex Freedom 1055 HFS Pure Sine Wave Inverter

Have the above in my coach.  Used in my instance to power commercial fridge between stops. My understanding is that when connected to shore power, the internal shore power takes precedence and the inverter will kick in only if shore power goes off. Well last night at 3:00 am alarm went off and error code 03 displayed. Had a heck of a time finding out how to silence alarm. E03 says “unit overload or AC output short circuit.”  The solution in the manual says reduce the load.  The inverter shut down, flashed the code and would not even allow shore power to fridge. No other appliances affected. Had to run extension cord to fridge from pedestal to get power. This morning had to disconnect shore power, turn off inverter with on/off button, wait 10 mins. Turned back on, error code gone, seemed to function normally. Plugged fridge back into it’s receptacle and all has been normal all day. As added piece of info, I know shore power did NOT go off during the night as my bedside clock flashes when shore power interrupted. Anyone have any ideas as to cause and/or prevention?  BTW outside temps in mid 90’s so wonder if fridge compressor working overtime and triggered event?

Edited by SuiteSuccess

This is a 55 amp invertor - it can handle more than that like what happens during compressor startups  - your fridge compressor is pretty constant after startup so being hot outside should not effect that.  Is the fridge the only item on the invertor?  I have seen the Freedom series flash this code without any real reason - would not worry unless it happens multiple times.

Mark - RV Tech

Is that the stock 1000 watt unit? Do you know the condition of your batteries? Maybe a power spike during the night. Do you have a surge protector?

Edited by DesertMiner

2 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Is that the stock 1000 watt unit? Do you know the condition of your batteries? Maybe a power spike during the night. Do you have a surge protector?

This is a normal occurrence with the Xantrex.  The Magnum they were using got too expensive....

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

This is a normal occurrence with the Xantrex.  The Magnum they were using got too expensive....

Wow....it’s buyer beware! So that saves them around $200 retail or so per inverter?

Edited by DesertMiner

Jim,

Thanks didn’t know that would reset.

COFL,

As far as I can determine at present it just powers the fridge. 

Desert, 

Batteries are good. AGM golf cart about a  year old. Charging and holding a charge fine. Yes, have built in electrical management system/surge protection 

Further reading seems to support that the Freedom  will throw this code sometimes without reason. If persists is Magnum best bang for the buck?

7 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Further reading seems to support that the Freedom  will throw this code sometimes without reason. If persists is Magnum best bang for the buck?

Yes, the Magnum is best bang for the buck.  There was a time when Xantrex was a good company.  But today with its overseas manufacturing and support, it has crumbled.  The boat/yacht companies I have been associated with stopped using them in the early 2000's.  Everyone went to Magnum because of their dependability....... Not price, but it works when needed.  

Carl, an idea....

If you have a pure sine inverter on the truck, wire a plug to the camper to run 120AC.  For long travel days I plug the camper into the truck and let the truck inverter keep the camper batteries charged and the fridge runs on the truck side since the Xantrex inverter see's normal power coming thru and doesn't transfer to camper batteries.  Make sense?  

Edited by Alie&Jim's Carrilite

On 6/23/2018 at 6:41 PM, Jack Mayer said:

Take a look at the Kisae Abso. It is a good inverter for the money.

Thanks Jack. I need one as well for my rig. What has been your experience with them?

JB

Carl,  Just so you understand how temperamental this Xantrex can be, I have one screw holding it in the cabinet.  Just tight enough to keep it from flopping around.  Until I set up the truck inverter to charge/run the camper I had to unplug/reset it everytime we moved.

50 minutes ago, bags said:

Thanks Jack. I need one as well for my rig. What has been your experience with them?

JB

My experience is somewhat limited, but they have a good reputation, and the ones I've worked with have been fine. I'd use them in my personal truck, and I'll probably start installing them in place of the MSW Xantrex in our customer's trucks. Just have not decided yet if it will be the KA or another brand. I'm leaning to the KA, but I'm not done my evaluations yet.

Just as a reference I have the been running the Kisae SWXFR1230 PS inverter in my HDT for over 6 years... been reliable under some demanding conditions.  I have a Kisae SW1210  1000 watt inverter running my residential fridge on my trailer. I’ve also been testing a Kisae SW1220 2000 watt model on the trailer to run some other A/C items. I use these Inverters for long periods of time and under temperature extremes of about -40 to +120 so far holding up well. Time will tell.  I really like the Victron Energy products and their ability to interconnect and communicate and am using some of their products. I think I also have a Magnum product or to sitting around in the mix.  None of my “testing” is anything close to scientific just real world. YMMV

On 6/24/2018 at 7:35 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Probably not.. 2017's have the Xantrex.... Cheaper.....

On 6/24/2018 at 7:54 PM, SuiteSuccess said:

Rocky,

Xantrex Freedom, thank you Thor bean counters. 

And yet the prices just keep going up!!!!  This will catch up with the bean counters.  It's time for another builder to emerge!